slow pill counter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futurejayhawk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have worked at a pharmacy for over a year now but I still have a hard time counting pills faster. I don't see 5 pills very well and end up double counting if I go too fast. any tips or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

You could try counting by 4s, worked for me. I would lose track when counting by 5s and trying to talk to people. I do not lose track when counting by 4s because the count changes more, if that makes any sense to you guys.

I'd get a bunch of M&Ms/Skittles, Mike & Ikes and other candies and just practice, since it's a learned skill. I personally study my drugs while doing this, but it's generally because just sitting looking at the list and repeating it makes me bonkers.

The down side is I eat considerably more M&Ms now then ever before. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Convince your pharmacist to get a Kirby, problem solved.

Of course, then you get really lazy. I never hand counted anything over #30 unless it was a C2 or abx.

I count by 10...but then when I have 10 pills in my head it's 1...

One day my pharmacist made me recount because he has doubt... the quantity of 60 looked small in the vial, so I put the pills back on the tray and started counting loudly... I went..1..2..3..4..5..6..and he went :eek: and I told him that what works for me.

Just find what works for you..the "by 5" is not an "universal rule"

hey i did that, too!
so, to count to sixty would be 12 groups of 5....always worked for me!

but now it's all unit dose or robotics~!

I have worked at a pharmacy for over a year now but I still have a hard time counting pills faster. I don't see 5 pills very well and end up double counting if I go too fast. any tips or suggestions?

The good news is that if you become a pharmacist you won't have to count pills very often unless you work in an extremely slow pharmacy that doesn't keep many techs. You just need to count narcs and you'll be sure to count those slow and double check your count anyways.

I count by 4's b/c my eyes can see 4 much faster than 5. If the script is written for say #90 I might split it in half and count 45 at a time or something along those lines.

My god, I can't imagine count 200+ pills that way. What if it's a schedule drug and you have to recount it !! :scared: :scared:

I can't imagine counting 200+ pills by 5s either. ;) I think I'd pay for a pill counter outta my salary if that were the case. Sanity >> money

The store I work at doesn't have a pill counter. I had to count #360 Sulfasalazine once (even if we did have a pill counter though, I wouldn't have been able to use it with that one because of the yellow/orange residue). I didn't really mind it all that much. The annoying part was getting all the extra labels for the bottles. Almost everyone else at my store hates counting to really high numbers. They cringe when they see the #180 lortab script (from a #500 stock bottle).

personally, I like to count by 3s...its so much easier to see 3 than 5 for me. If the number is too high and the pill is small enough, i would use a shaker tray

Do you guys always count by the same number (3s, 4s, 5s, 10s)? In the previous post, it seems that counting by 6s 60x or 9s 40x would be efficient. I'm not trying to be a smartass, I've never actually worked in a pharmacy. I'm wondering if there's an advantage to always counting by the same number.

Members don't see this ad :)

You know...if you count on bright yellow counter top...you can count much faster.

Do you guys always count by the same number (3s, 4s, 5s, 10s)? In the previous post, it seems that counting by 6s 60x or 9s 40x would be efficient. I'm not trying to be a smartass, I've never actually worked in a pharmacy. I'm wondering if there's an advantage to always counting by the same number.

I always count by the same number... I think I'd get confused if I mixed things up!:laugh: :idea:

My god, I can't imagine count 200+ pills that way. What if it's a schedule drug and you have to recount it !! :scared: :scared:

:laugh: I guess you just get used to it after a while...

I admit that I'm kinda weird, though - I tend to do things the hard way on purpose when I'm filling just to break up the monotony and challenge myself somehow.

you know...I'm not very good at counting... I couldn't count how many fish I caught over the weekend...

img3956bs9.jpg

Showoff!! The weather has been miserable for fishin' around here lately - hopefully it'll warm up a little soon.

Here's a picture of my little one recently -
thurlowyellowperchzeke.jpg

Showoff!! The weather has been miserable for fishin' around here lately - hopefully it'll warm up a little soon.

Here's a picture of my little one recently -
thurlowyellowperchzeke.jpg

wooooo.....is that a yello perch??

don't be a such wuss... we got hit by the tornado on friday... on saturday we loaded up and went fishing...it was cold...

wooooo.....is that a yello perch??

'tis

don't be a such wuss... we got hit by the tornado on friday... on saturday we loaded up and went fishing...it was cold...

Yeah- still kinda chilly here (for 'bama anyways) - when the boy's teeth are chattering, it's kinda hard to keep him excited about being out on the river...

We'll have to start a thread about fishin' sometime soon - I plan to do a LOT of it this summer before "big kid school" starts!

'tis

Yeah- still kinda chilly here (for 'bama anyways) - when the boy's teeth are chattering, it's kinda hard to keep him excited about being out on the river...

We'll have to start a thread about fishin' sometime soon - I plan to do a LOT of it this summer before "big kid school" starts!

That is a cute boy.... mine is 18 months old....and got a 7 year old girl...who caught her first blue gill last year...

I didn't know Bama had perch... thought it was found further up north.

I'm notorious for threadjacks... I'll take any thread and turn it into something totally unrelated....

What y'all catch down in Bama? Bass and Catfish?

you know...I'm not very good at counting... I couldn't count how many fish I caught over the weekend...

img3956bs9.jpg

Show off!!!! Did you have a license???

How many of those were caught by little Miss Sux?

That is a cute boy.... mine is 18 months old....and got a 7 year old girl...who caught her first blue gill last year...

Does she like it? And can you get her to fish with live bait? My boy (7 tomorrow) can't decide wether he loves fish or is petrified of them :laugh: Kids are somethin' else...

I didn't know Bama had perch... thought it was found further up north.

I'm notorious for threadjacks... I'll take any thread and turn it into something totally unrelated....

What y'all catch down in Bama? Bass and Catfish?

We've just about got it all here: Bass, crappie, sunfish, catfish, etc...

My father (a retired fisheries biologist) wants to know if those were really big crappie in your picture (or just a really small cooler)?

Show off!!!! Did you have a license???

How many of those were caught by little Miss Sux?

Texas State Park does not require you have a fishing license to fish... we're cool like that...but of course I'm licensed.

Miss Sux was passed out in the RV while Mrs Sux and I fished for 4 hours between 11pm to 3am.

Does she like it? And can you get her to fish with live bait? My boy (7 tomorrow) can't decide wether he loves fish or is petrified of them :laugh: Kids are somethin' else...

We've just about got it all here: Bass, crappie, sunfish, catfish, etc...

My father (a retired fisheries biologist) wants to know if those were really big crappie in your picture (or just a really small cooler)?

I'm teaching her to use jigs...instead of live bait. She likes it...but has no patience for it... so working a jig is more fun than dunking a minnow or worms.

Tell your father...the retired fisheries biologist that I resemble that remark...

I kept crappies 13 inches to 17 inches... threw anything less than 12inches back.. They were all good size... we don't have small fish in Texas.

And no...it's not a small cooler...

I'm teaching her to use jigs...instead of live bait. She likes it...but has no patience for it... so working a jig is more fun than dunking a minnow or worms.

Tell your father...the retired fisheries biologist that I resemble that remark...

I kept crappies 13 inches to 17 inches... threw anything less than 12inches back.. They were all good size... we don't have small fish in Texas.

And no...it's not a small cooler...

:hijacked:

Lord, you are SOL - What else is there to do in WV besides play in the country?!? Ever tried cow-tippin'? Doodle-bug huntin'? Blackberry pickin'? You need an edumacation!

You forgot snipe hunting..:eek:

You forgot snipe hunting..:eek:

Man, I lived in Oklahoma all my life and my country friends just told me what they really do at those things. I was disappointed. :(

Nice crappie catch though. I've eaten almost every type of fish in oklahoma except a crappie. Heard it was good but I can never seem to catch a decent size one to take home to cook.

Now this is my kind of thread, if I knew how to post pics, I'd show you guys my catches here in SoCal.

Figured it out....here goes nothin:

DSCN0969.jpg

calico.jpg

shabsabass.jpg

pb2.jpg

lings1.jpg

lings.jpg

novbasssha.jpg

novbasssha3.jpg

Now we truly have a show off!!! In a tie with a nametag no less - where is Forced???:D

What in the world is that! I wish I had a camera when I caught my spoonbill. It must've been 20 lbs!

That would be a Pacific Halibut. Good guess, right around 20lbs.

Texas State Park does not require you have a fishing license to fish... we're cool like that...but of course I'm licensed.

Miss Sux was passed out in the RV while Mrs Sux and I fished for 4 hours between 11pm to 3am.

Long nap for a 7 yo - are you sure she wasn't watching videos???? Nah - probably exhausted from her first "professional" presentation.

How did those dung beetles go over with Miss Second Grade Teacher, btw?

I can just see - you & Mrs Sux....sitting there with your cold ones and your fishing poles thinking - yeah, we know this whole science project stuff.:p

You just wait.....dum de dum dum.....until Junior Year - the year they need to put it on their college application - will Miss Sux get a blue ribbon, a gold ribbon or.....the dreaded purple ribbon?????:eek:

Or - will she just be into boys by then & not give a damn?:laugh: :laugh:

Hah! Been there & done that!

Kabab.... nice catches!!!

That would be a Pacific Halibut. Good guess, right around 20lbs.

Man...now I'm going to have to look for my ole Salmon Fishing pictures from Feather River up in Sacramento area....

We used to hook 30 pounders... using red plastic beads....

Thanks, I have yet to go fishing for crappie, but we have some nice slabs here in San Diego. Some of my fishin buddies get limits of 2lb+ crappie (limit being 25) on a daily basis during the season.

Wow, I really need to go fish in the ocean. Catching catfish and bass all the time is probably nothing like that monster looking fish with the fangs!

Long nap for a 7 yo - are you sure she wasn't watching videos???? Nah - probably exhausted from her first "professional" presentation.

How did those dung beetles go over with Miss Second Grade Teacher, btw?

I can just see - you & Mrs Sux....sitting there with your cold ones and your fishing poles thinking - yeah, we know this whole science project stuff.:p

You just wait.....dum de dum dum.....until Junior Year - the year they need to put it on their college application - will Miss Sux get a blue ribbon, a gold ribbon or.....the dreaded purple ribbon?????:eek:

Or - will she just be into boys by then & not give a damn?:laugh: :laugh:

Hah! Been there & done that!

It's on display at the library.... no ribbons yet... But she did get a blue ribbon from her piano competition... it was a tough competition this year with 150 competitors...

Oh...she'll have to figure out what she wants to do.... her tuition will be paid for.. but it's up to her to decide which school and where.. but she's not allowed to go to Any southern universities outside of Texas except for some select schools in North Carolina...or Tenessee...She's free to go to any school in Ca...except for Humboldt or Chico state...

It's on display at the library.... no ribbons yet... But she did get a blue ribbon from her piano competition... it was a tough competition this year with 150 competitors...

Oh...she'll have to figure out what she wants to do.... her tuition will be paid for.. but it's up to her to decide which school and where.. but she's not allowed to go to Any southern universities outside of Texas except for some select schools in North Carolina...or Tenessee...She's free to go to any school in Ca...except for Humboldt or Chico state...

I can just hear her....but Daaaaaaddddddd........they don't party there - that is just an urban myth;) .

Oh - and good job Miss Sux on her piano recital - a girl of many virtues it seems:) .

Thanks, I have yet to go fishing for crappie, but we have some nice slabs here in San Diego. Some of my fishin buddies get limits of 2lb+ crappie (limit being 25) on a daily basis during the season.

Crappie is the best tasting freshwater fish. The white flaky meat is light and sweet. And actually...smaller crappie is better to eat...which produces the perfect size filet for deep frying in peanut oil.:thumbup:

And because crappies school....once you get on em...u can catch your limit quickly..

Crappie is the best tasting freshwater fish. The white flaky meat is light and sweet. And actually...smaller crappie is better to eat...which produces the perfect size filet for deep frying in peanut oil.:thumbup:

And because crappies school....once you get on em...u can catch your limit quickly..

So I've heard! I definetly plan on fishing for some in the next few weeks. I'll bump this thread with a report when I do. Sure seems like fun on the light gear.

I can just hear her....but Daaaaaaddddddd........they don't party there - that is just an urban myth;) .

Oh - and good job Miss Sux on her piano recital - a girl of many virtues it seems:) .

oh...u know... I know how i was growing up. I also know i can't make her do anything she doesn't want to... i can only guide her.