Small Amount of Biology Courses? Big Problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agoron

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

So just a quick question. I'm a junior animal science major who is planning on applying to medical school this coming summer, and am a little nervous about the "lack" of biology courses I've taken in college. I was told by AAMC that my animal science courses, including anatomy, physiology, nutrition, and genetics, will not count towards my biology, chem, math and physics GPA or be classified as such when applying to medical school, simply due to the fact that they are through the animal sciences department. That's a little frustrating,because I tested out of Biology 1 and 2 due to AP credit, so technically I have not taken any biology courses in college, then. I do know some medical schools will accept AP credits, but strongly recommend upper-level bio courses, which I technically, according to AAMC standards, have not taken due to them being through the Animal Sciences department at my university. I do feel, however, that these courses have contributed to my personal understanding and knowledge of upper level biological sciences, and these were 100% biologically oriented courses that were very rigorous and that I put significant effort into.

I am, however, taking microbiology and cell biology next fall, when I will be applying, so my schools will be able to see that I am enrolled in 2 biology classes, and I know that they will still see that I have taken a science curriculum including anatomy, physiology, genetics and nutrition, and I have also been a teaching assistant for anatomy. I would just love some feedback from other students, or even medical students or doctors, because I'm a little nervous I will get turned away from schools simply because these courses don't qualify as "biology," and it will appear as though I have not taken any advanced biological courses, even though what I have taken has been primarily biologically oriented and are extremely relevant.

For perspective, my cGPA is a 3.93 and sGPA is a 3.92, not including my animal sciences coursework.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you so so much!

Members don't see this ad.

With a decent BS section score on the MCAT, I think you'll have no problems convincing adcoms that you can handle a biology courseload. You could explain that animal science courses don't count as BCPM during the interview if they ask.

I hope so! My MCAT is in T-minus 1 month, and I've been averaging about 12-13 on the BS on my practices, so my fingers are crossed. Thanks for your response!

Members don't see this ad :)
This seems like a technicality that you'll be able to explain given the chance (at an interview). Scoring a 12 on BS will go a long way in proving that you have a strong grasp of the concepts.

I was a Chen major, and only took 2 bio courses in undergrad. It did come up in interviews but my 11 in BS was enough to reassure the interviewer of my competence.

Considering many non science majors who took only the pre reqs get in each year, I think you will be fine. Just rock the BS section and you'll be all set.

Really?

If you complete all the required prerequisite courses and your sGPA is over a 3.9....there's no reason in the entire universe for you to be worried about anything.