Small hospital vs. Big hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StriveForGlory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so here is my dilemma (keep in mind I am interested in pursuing a residency):

I have worked at a small hospital (100 beds) in my town since I started pharmacy school (currently a P1>P2). The hospital is part of a larger regional medical center (500 beds) that has a residency program (but only PGY1). I have good connections with everyone at my hospital and have spent the summer doing clinical projects with the clinical pharmacist at my job (in hopes of better preparing myself intellectually and making myself look better on resumes as well).

I am currently considering applying for a internship at a much larger hospital (2000 beds) that is a bit further from my home and about the same distance from my school. This hospital offers both PGY1 and PGY2 residencies. The only problem is that the internship would require too much of a time commitment, so I would be forced to cut down on my hours severely at my other hospital (I would try to cut them down as much as possible without quitting).

So what should I do? Forget the internship and just try to do my P4 rotations at the larger hospital? (That way I can get to know the preceptors if I end up applying for the residency) Would me making the such a drastic move (I am pretty sure my boss expects me to be there for the next three years) sever some ties and actually hinder me in the long run?

And would actually going to the larger hospital help me get the residency there? I mean with such a huge institution I would just be another face in the crowd as opposed to being pretty much one of the only pharmacy students at my current location. Would P4 rotations be just as good at helping me get the residency?

And what if I dont get a residency? The way I see it a huge hospital would be a lot more likely to keep their interns as staff when compared to my tiny hospital (we rarely have full time positions open).

I know this is a looooot of questions but I guess I am just looking for some advice. Anything you guys can offer would be a great help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know any people that currently work at the large hospital? If so, ask them about their work schedules. Many large hospitals here work you whatever hours pleases them, not really caring about what schedule you want, with an overnight shift about once a month during the school year and most holidays, allowing time off only if you request it a few months beforehand. If this will be your work schedule at the large hospital (of course not all large hospitals have this type of schedule), ask yourself if you can handle it.

But I don't think working 2 hospitals at once is that great of an idea. I say just keep working at the smaller hospital. Don't want to strain yourself too much.

Many large hospitals here work you whatever hours pleases them, not really caring about what schedule you want, with an overnight shift about once a month during the school year and most holidays, allowing time off only if you request it a few months beforehand.

Could you please state where you are located? Most people that I know who work at other large hospitals have a pretty consistent schedule (every other weekend sat/sun) and have more hours during the summer. However the person I talked to from the large hospital was saying that interns have to work two 8 hours shifts every week. That seems a bit unrealistic to me because I barely know anyone who makes that type of work commitment during school. And if they do its for a job thats close by to where they live. This hospital has no pharmacy school close to it so I am unsure of how they have interns that can make this type of time commitment.

Also, what do you guys think is the proper etiquette in terms of withdrawing an application to an internship without severing ties. The person I spoke to asked me to email him a resume. Im assuming if he likes it he will ask me to fill out a formal application? I feel like I wont be able to find out the kind of hours they would actually want me to work until I am pretty much on the verge of accepting the job. Would it be too late to back out then without causing damage. I mean I want to apply for a residency there and I dont want them pulling up my file and seeing that I applied and then decided not to go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry too much about this right now. You have two years to think about it.

Could you please state where you are located?

Philadelphia. I am referencing a certain large hospital where they make you work 2 8-hour shifts a week during the school year, and some shifts every once in a while are overnight (fact), and I am almost 100% sure there's another large hospital here that does similar scheduling. They know that if someone is not OK with this, there are a lot of interns that would be glad to take that spot.

Philadelphia. I am referencing a certain large hospital where they make you work 2 8-hour shifts a week during the school year, and some shifts every once in a while are overnight (fact), and I am almost 100% sure there's another large hospital here that does similar scheduling. They know that if someone is not OK with this, there are a lot of interns that would be glad to take that spot.

Is there a benefit to being able to make it through pharmacy school and be an intern at the same time? The hospital that I am referring to states that a high percentage of their interns get hired on as staff upon the completion of their schooling.

Is there a benefit to being able to make it through pharmacy school and be an intern at the same time? The hospital that I am referring to states that a high percentage of their interns get hired on as staff upon the completion of their schooling.

The benefit is that right now for ANY pharmacist job you need previous work experience. Also, hospital experience is a big plus on residency applications (unlike medical residencies, where it's just mostly based on your board exam scores). I've been trying and trying to get a hospital job, but to no avail. I actually spoke to pharmacy students from a different school today about working at a certain hospital, and they said that you have to basically know someone who works there to get a job there. That's the same for all hospitals here.

go with the small hospital. schedulign will be worse (more weekends and holidays), but it should be more laid back , more family-like staff atmosphere, and more opportunity to move up by taking on responsibilities (at a larger hospital, tasks will probably already be delegated) .. If you are able to put down improvements and initiatives on your resume , a small hospital can provide good opportunity at least equal to the "name recognition" of a larger hospital.

Source: I work occasional shifts and used to be full time for a critical care hospital w/ 20-50 patients.