Small Liberal Arts Universities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hallm_7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attend a small, Christian, Liberal Arts University. Several people have told me that these types of schools do very well in getting people accepted to med school. Over the last several years 80-90% of all applicants have gotten in somewhere at this school. Do you find this to be true in other schools such as this one?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm here at a small, unaffiliated, liberal arts university and we have an annual acceptance rate of about 75-80%. I think it could depend on the academic reputation of the school in general or also on the type of people who apply from the school. For example, if only very competitive applicants encouraged to apply due to a selective weeding out process (i.e. intro chem) or a minimum GPA required for a committee letter to be written, this may result in a higher acceptance rate for that school.

I go to a very small, public liberal arts university in Missouri...every year I think about 70-80% of students here who apply to med school are accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I attend Freed-Hardeman University in Henderson, TN. It's outside Jackson, TN and about an hour from Memphis.

i attend a small liberal arts college (unaffiliated) and i think our acceptance rates are around 70-80% as well.
i don't know what the weeding out process is for who the premed committee supports and doesn't support though... i'm pretty sure they'll support just about anyone.