militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
So my palm pilot is going, and my mobile phone is old. I'm thinking about replacing it with a smart phone.....can't seem to decide on what's best.

I would like to have epocrates on it ...as that's the one program that I use everyday while at work.

What do all you peeps have and your thoughts?

yes2drugs

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2007
Texas
Status
Non-Student
The docs and CRNAs where I work are all going in for the AT&T "wing" phone. I think T-Mobile calls it a "tilt". They have it loaded down with skyscape stuff, tarascon and a ton of other stuff. I will likely get one when my contract is up.

IctalSmile

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status
Medical Student
The docs and CRNAs where I work are all going in for the AT&T "wing" phone. I think T-Mobile calls it a "tilt". They have it loaded down with skyscape stuff, tarascon and a ton of other stuff. I will likely get one when my contract is up.
You've got that mixed up. Tmobile is a wing, ATT is a tilt. I think there was a pretty extensive discussion on smart phones a while back.

About the Ads

epidural man

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2007
San Diego
Status
Attending Physician
So my palm pilot is going, and my mobile phone is old. I'm thinking about replacing it with a smart phone.....can't seem to decide on what's best.

I would like to have epocrates on it ...as that's the one program that I use everyday while at work.

What do all you peeps have and your thoughts?
Mil,

Before you purchase, please just play around with someone's iphone. In June -ish, apple is going to update the iphone so that you can add third party software. Epocrates is someone that gave a demo at an apple convention of the program they are developing for it. It is going to be really cool (at least the demo is.) You should know that the iphone has less than a year on the market and it already accounts for greater than 70% of the web traffic of web phones, which means that internet on smartphones suck. Just a thought. I have never met someone that had an iphone that was disappointed, but I have met several smartphone users that have switched.

I will say that I heard the blackberry when on wireless switches it's phone call to VOiP (so the phone signal is carried through the wireless internet, so you don't use minutes.) That is pretty darn cool.

OP
M

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
any news of the iPhone being offered on other networks?

AT&T coverage isn't very good in my hospital....let me rephrase...there 's no bars in the OR.

lushmd

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Well, apparently in Australia the iPhone is to be available for use on any network although I haven't heard anything about such plans for the US (but you can unlock the iPhone). Also, if you're going to wait 'til June or so anyway, you might as well wait for the 2nd version of the iPhone (3G, etc...) which should be announced around then.

spyyder

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
Newark, NJ
Status
Medical Student

AT&T coverage isn't very good in my hospital....let me rephrase...there 's no bars in the OR.

You can "unlock" the phone with some special software, but you lose features like visual voice mail and would have to constantly keep it up-to-date with the latest hacks. ATT has a 5-year deal will apple for the iphone.

Wait till June, rumor of a 3G unit.

IctalSmile

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status
Medical Student

Sure, you can get an iphone on Tmobile......if you live in Europe. Stateside, its only officially available on AT&T, but theres always ways around it, but then you have to figure out a way to get around the carrier's lock each time theres an update.

Personally, if the option to wait was available, I would wait until the Xperia X1 comes out (hopefully on schedule in the next couple months). GSM phones are much easier to use on multiple carriers and this thing looks sweet and has very nice hardware.

epidural man

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2007
San Diego
Status
Attending Physician

In that case, get a smartphone that runs on a 3G network rather than on the Edge network since it is about 30% faster. Get one that has wireless capability. I understand many don't.

cchoukal

15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
A friend of mine just got a palm centro and really likes it. It's available only from Spring, I believe. She's had palm treos before and she says this one is way smaller with way better reception/voice/sound quality. all I can say about it from playing with it is that it is MUCH smaller than her old treos...

I'm in the same boat with an old palm (sony clie from 2003 which I LOVE) and an old motorola phone. I keep thinking about a blackberry, but I can't get any definitive information about the interface between it and the palm desktop. That and my banking software and caselog software aren't compatible with blackberry (or a new palm, for that matter).

Plead the Fifth

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have a Palm Centro with Sprint as my carrier. I like it a lot. The screen is pretty small but it's fast and very compact. I'd prefer an iPhone but I use ePocrates a lot and I don't think that program is compatible with Mac software as of yet (I could be wrong).

UTSouthwestern

1K Member
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2003
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Status
I'm typing this from my iPhone. I got it as a birthday gift and thought I would hate it but it has been fantastic. Have T Mobile service. Very fast and Wifi is flawless.

The benefit of having good Internet access is that you don't need epocrates. You can access Internet references like Med Line and all kinds of pharmacy references in a flash.

IctalSmile

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm typing this from my iPhone. I got it as a birthday gift and thought I would hate it but it has been fantastic. Have T Mobile service. Very fast and Wifi is flawless.

The benefit of having good Internet access is that you don't need epocrates. You can access Internet references like Med Line and all kinds of pharmacy references in a flash.
Do you have to re-jailbreak it everytime the send out an update? or is the network hack (hardspl, etc) separate?

UTSouthwestern

1K Member
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2003
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Status
Do you have to re-jailbreak it everytime the send out an update? or is the network hack (hardspl, etc) separate?
No. Have updated it myself without having to reset the phone.

pmichaelmd

15+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2003
Georgia
Status
Attending Physician
sucks. No coverage, at least in my hospital. Let me rephrase...I do have roaming coverage, but that means my extended battery dies out after 4-5 hours of mild use. I have the Moto-Q, BTW. OK phone, but not super. Used to have Verizon, which has been the best that I have had, but it cost a bit more. You do get what you pay for, though. I hear that the Voyager is a nice unit.

-PMMD

BIS40

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
have had i phone since around the 200 dollar price drop..............in my opinion has revolutionized anesthesia. im a fellow. all my attendings have sprint/nextel with treos.........hospital issued...........they all hate the treo. granted june wil have 3g speed, and jailbreak can let use on any network (voids warranty with apple though)............still love i phone......sleek, now 4$ movie rentals on itunes, if u have wi fi connection.......awesome, otherwise edge abit slow at times. Since i got iphone never have to go to computer to check email or google stuff. Just took oral boards with ho review course rite before............if you dont know something, wikpedia or google it and you will in about a few minutes. awesome for or.
just my preference. There is a slick samsung coming out on sprint, but cnet still says iphone the champ.
:scared:

About the Ads