SMDEP Duke vs. UVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nadinex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate to add this thread buuuttt I only have until tomorrow morning to make my decision. I have no idea which one to choose. At first I was all about UVA and I didn't think I would get into Duke, but now that Ive gotten in, I cant decide. UVA really reached out to me though, but I just want to go to the program where I will get the MOST out of it.

Help!

Members don't see this ad.

I did the SRIP at UVA two summers ago and we shared dorms with the SMDEP kids. They all seemed to really enjoy it, and there was always a ton of free food. I can't comment on Duke's program, but I would say go to the program where you think you'd enjoy being for the summer more. You should have a great time and learn a lot either way.

I did SMDEP at Duke this past summer, and it was the best experience of my life. If you're looking to go somewhere where you'll just have fun though, this isn't the program for you. The program is extremely challenging and on the level of medical school. The Dean of Admissions told us on the first day of the program that this would be academic boot camp, and she did not lie. However, I did meet some great people, and we had fun too. It was a really great experience, and they really look out for you after the program with letters of rec and interviews. I emailed the head of the program after I submitted my application to Duke, and she made sure I got an interview. If you're looking to go to a top notch medical school then Duke can only look even better on your record. From what I've heard, Duke and Columbia have the hardest programs but look the best. Also, the shadowing was AMAZING. I figured out/validified the type of doctor I wanted to be and ruled out some other areas because they let us shadow so much in so many different areas, and many of the students there set up extra shadowing easily in other areas they were interested in to get the most out of the experience. Sorry this is so long. Just wanted to give you my insight since it had such an impact on me. The TAs and RAs are great, and they all looked at my medical school apps and gave me advice before, during, and after I applied. Wherever you go, I'm sure it'll be a great experience and you'll enjoy it. Let me know if you have any other questions about the Duke program. Sorry I can't speak on UVA!