SMDEP or summer research program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one?

• SMDEP

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Summer undergrad research program

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

dichloromethane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wanted your opinion on whether to do a SMDEP or a summer research program? I think both routes would be awesome, and I wish I could do them both. I'm going to apply to both programs to see if I even get in, but what is your opinion? If you were offered admission into both programs, which would you choose and why?

Please vote in the poll too.

Members don't see this ad.

i did SMDEP and it was the most rewarding experience in my undergraduate career. I'm also a recruiter too =). SMDEP is very favorable for dental schools. I did mine at umdnj and nyu and both schools were the first schools to contact me for interviews. The nyu admissions officer told me she always invite smdep scholars for interviews, and im guessing i got one from umdnj b/c i did the program there. you get to meet admissions ppl, live with other students. its so much fun!!!! I actually wished it was longer than 6weeks.
i have friends who did research over the summer. It's definitely not as "fun" as smdp according to them. but they did get paid well, and depending on where you do ur research (like a university with a dental school), I'm pretty sure you would have an upperhand too.

theres really no right/wrong. If you're currently a freshman, go for smdep and you can do research the summer of soph yr.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a sophomore. I messaged you cj.

Keep voting in the poll guys. I want your opinions. What if your goal is to go to a research heavy dental school and maybe even pursue a DMD/MS or DMD/PhD?

I would do SMDEP your first summer after freshman year(or even sophomore year). It'll be good for dental experience.

However, with the summers after definitely do research. It'll be good to have a balance of both and it's good to know the link between dentistry and the research you could do with it.