Smdep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paymaant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much weight do you all think the SMDEP program carries on a dental school application? Does attending SMDEP give you a great competitive edge when applying to dental schools? Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how much of a competitive edge this would look, but what I got from this experience is networking! I found out about summer internships, got mentored by dental students and faculty, and resume booster! SMDEP was the only way for me to get connected to another dental school without actually attending the school for undergrad or whatever. The person in charge of the dental portion was obviously connected to the dental school, and I saw him at my interview! Also, they let us play with drills and models. No dentist has ever let me "play" with his equipment and tools so it was great hands on experience that I was able to talk about in one of my interviews. GO GO GO if you can!!!!!!!

How much weight do you all think the SMDEP program carries on a dental school application? Does attending SMDEP give you a great competitive edge when applying to dental schools? Thanks for your input!

SMDEP looks really good to schools who are involved in the program. It shows that you have cared about the profession since you were a college freshman/sophomore. Even if it's not mad beneficial for other schools, it's not like it's going to look bad. Plus it's a great way to get introduced to the profession via classes (not graded unless you go to the one in Louisville I think) and shadowing. Everyone I know who did absolutely loved it and had a great learning experience.

One advice I'll give to you is to apply early, by early January if you're looking at Summer 2013.

Good luck

I think it definitely helps ur application if U did this internship. I would definitely do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk