SMEP @ Columbia '05

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisfeliciano

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else going to the Columbia University College of Physians and Surgeons SMEP site? Holla it up.

Members don't see this ad.

chrisfeliciano said:
Anyone else going to the Columbia University College of Physians and Surgeons SMEP site? Holla it up.

I applied to that site but I have yet to hear anything from SMEP. How soon did u get a decision after you application was complete?

Waht is the SMEP, and what is the link to the site?

Members don't see this ad :)
anjelicad said:
I applied to that site but I have yet to hear anything from SMEP. How soon did u get a decision after you application was complete?

arounf 10 days after they have recieved all of your apps material. whrere else did you appl to?

I got rejected from the Columbia site. They told me that they are required to review application within 10 days of receiving them. I would email them to be sure. I'm going to the New Jersey site..august MCAT prep.. YAY! (not really)

chrisfeliciano said:
arounf 10 days after they have recieved all of your apps material. whrere else did you appl to?

I also applied to Duke and Yale. Still haven't heard anything yet. I hope the spaces don't fill up.

chrisfeliciano said:

i'll be there.

Have you guys checked the site to see if they have received/processed your reccs and transcripts. Those usually take the longest to process...but I'd contact them.

that check status page isn't always current mine still doesn't say that my transcript or LORs have been received..to be sure i would call them..

I went there last year. It was so much fun. Enjoy yourselves!

SMEP = Summer Medical Experience Program

Usually only for URM's...

Does anyone know what percentage of the people that get into SMEP aren't URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to try to go next summer. when are we supposed to apply for it? since you got accepted i figured youd know. Also i know it will be hard going to school without having a summer job. what are you guys going to do about money?

is it extremely hard for premeds with asian backgrounds to get into SMEP?

MB in SD said:
SMEP = Summer Medical Experience Program

Usually only for URM's...

I got in (not columbia tho)... :)

btw I'm not URM

byeh2004 said:
is it extremely hard for premeds with asian backgrounds to get into SMEP?

Im asian and got in at columbia....its really not hard, the apps process is a biatch though. lol

chrisfeliciano said:
Im asian and got in at columbia....its really not hard, the apps process is a biatch though. lol

and it was... it was sorta like the regular AMCAS process...

except no processing fees...

and no secondaries...

and also no interviews...

and also it only took like 2 weeks for responses... at least for me, since I applied at the very last second :oops:

bad idea btw... applying at the end like that

hey guys

i'm really looking forward to this
anyone been in smep before, yale or at any other site, know what the schedule is like? ...what you learn, how good is it in terms of MCAT preparation, etc.

For those planning to apply to SMEP for next summer, there's also a program called UCLA PREP, although it is not part of the AAMC smep program, it's a separate application with similar objective

it was great....though not "great" for mcat prep

crazy_cavalier said:
I got in (not columbia tho)... :)

btw I'm not URM

thanks for proving the troll wrong. :D

xxbruinxx said:
hey guys

anyone been in smep before, yale or at any other site, know what the schedule is like? ...what you learn, how good is it in terms of MCAT preparation, etc.

For those planning to apply to SMEP for next summer, there's also a program called UCLA PREP, although it is not part of the AAMC smep program, it's a separate application with similar objective

Hey Guy, I will tell you to be ready to study hard. Hopefully you will end with a well social and friendly group as we had last year at Yale. It was the greatest experience in my life.

xxbruinxx said:
hey guys

Yo! Does UCLA PREP have a websie or something? I cant find it anywhere? Please help. Danke!

for those of you who are doing smep this summer and are applying this year as well, do you think you'll be able to manage everything?

I'd like to get my application out before i leave, but on the other hand, maybe there are some good resources/contacts at the program site that are available to critique my application/essay. Are you going to wait to submit, or submit before leaving?

for me, yale smep starts june. 15, so i'm not sure right now whether to go ahead and submit, or wait till at most july 1st.

also, how are you planning to handle secondaries that come in while you're away? do they even come during the month of july/early august?

thanx

For those of you Columbia SMEP people, I just wanted to let you know that Columbia Med School has a huge preference for students who attended its SMEP program. Be sure to mention the SMEP program in your AMCAS application and find a way to somehow mention it in your interview. When I interviewed at Columbia Med School this past year, a significant majority of the URM's currently attending the med school and a significant majority of the URM's that interviewed with me attended SMEP at Columbia. Dr. Hilda Hutcherson, who is the director of minority affairs and the academic liaison for the SMEP program at Columbia, has a very strong say on the admissions process and personally interviews some of the URM candidates. One of my friends interviewed with her and when my friend told her that she attended the SMEP program at Columbia, Dr. Hutcherson replied, "Okay, this interview is over. I have no further questions for you." My friend got her acceptance to Columbia in mid February. Moral of the story is: be sure to kiss up to Dr. Hutcherson some time over the summer. =0) Best of luck to all of you!

smileyguy77 said:
For those of you Columbia SMEP people, I just wanted to let you know that Columbia Med School has a huge preference for students who attended its SMEP program. Be sure to mention the SMEP program in your AMCAS application and find a way to somehow mention it in your interview. When I interviewed at Columbia Med School this past year, a significant majority of the URM's currently attending the med school and a significant majority of the URM's that interviewed with me attended SMEP at Columbia. Dr. Hilda Hutcherson, who is the director of minority affairs and the academic liaison for the SMEP program at Columbia, has a very strong say on the admissions process and personally interviews some of the URM candidates. One of my friends interviewed with her and when my friend told her that she attended the SMEP program at Columbia, Dr. Hutcherson replied, "Okay, this interview is over. I have no further questions for you." My friend got her acceptance to Columbia in mid February. Moral of the story is: be sure to kiss up to Dr. Hutcherson some time over the summer. =0) Best of luck to all of you!

Thank you very much for th tip! I really want to get into COlumbia Med thats why im doing this SMEP thing there....

Thanks again

i'm flying out to conneticut later this evening..YALE SMEP...can't wait!

do you guys think it would be hard to prepare for the august mcat and be in this program?

I think i can do it, but just trying to be realistic....

thanx