S'more DAT questions!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

portlander

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) A tick bird on a rhinosaurus is an example of what type of symbiotic relationship?

A. Commensalism
B. Mutualism
C. Parasitism
D. Saprophytism
E. Insectism

Answer key says 'B'. I am not an ecology person, but I put 'A' because commensalism means one organism gets a benefit while the other is neither harmed nor helped. In what way is a rhino benefiting from the 'tick bird'? Is that information something I would have had to know beforehand?

2) When 14.250 moles of PCl5 gas is placed in a 3.00 liter container and comes to equilibrium at a constant temperature, 40.0% of the PCl5 is decomposed
PCl5 (g) ------------> PCl3 (g) + Cl2 (g)
What is the value of Kc??

A. (1.896)^2 / (2.854)
B. (2.854)^2 / (1.898)
C. (3.800)^2 / (2.854)
D. (2.854)(1.896) / (3.800)
E. None of these

The answer key says 'A'. I know that Kc is = to
[PCl3][Cl2] / [PCl5], and that concentrations of PCl3 and Cl2 are equal, and that the concentrations should be measured in atms, but I cannot make the numbers work out. How do you figure out the pressures??

Thanks so much for whoever can help!

Taking my DAT 3 weeks from today!!!

Members don't see this ad.

The tick bird is eating the ticks therefore the rhino is benefitting because it no longer has ticks. The bird is getting food, the rhino is getting groomed. Mutual relationship=mutualism

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much!!

I have one more:

The 1H NMR of which of these compounds will show only 2 singlets?

A. CH3-CH2-O-CH2-CH3
B. H3C-O-{phenyl}-O-CH3

The answer is 'B'. I can see how both of these might get two singlets, but I haven't had Orgo in a long time. Why is 'A' wrong?

think of the tick question in this way.

A tick is a parasite, so if a tick bird is eating the parasite it is helping the rhino. Thus both are being helped.

DesiDentist

portlander,

For the Organic question, you can apply the "n+1" rule in a general manner. That is, "n" Hydrogen atoms are going to give n+1 peaks.

You can instantly see that CH3-CH2-O-CH2-CH3 will have more than "only two singlets".

I believe the statement that

"CH3-CH2-O-CH2-CH3 will have more than only two singlets". Should be clarified. It will not have any singlets. It will have 2 quartets and 2 triplets.

Matt

I agree Matt...a 4H quartet and a 6H triplet.

Portlander,

You know what one of the happiest (and scariest) things about taking the DAT is?

Happiest: knowing you'll never have to remember facts from crappy subjects like G. Chem.

Scariest: knowing it's that easy to forget facts from crappy subjects like G. Chem. I swear I've forgotten all that stuff, from O. Chem to G. Chem. Yikes.

tell me about it. I never paid attention in Ochem, now I'm crapping my pants. I just crammed and that was the biggest mistake of my life...but I still did decently.

To all of those who haven't taken ochem, but planning to. Take your time and absorb this material like a sponge. You will thank yourself later. Trust me.

DesiDentist