SMP Advice? Please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OrlandoMed87

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I'd appreciate it if you guys could advise me on what I should in terms of next year.

First, a little bit about myself. I am a 4th year Accounting major and I have taken all of the basic pre-med requirements (1 year of orgo, bio, chem, physics...as well as some other recommended science electives), with a few years of volunteering and research. The problem is that although initially I was hoping to come in and graduate with a Finance degree and eventually go onto medical school with an edge (since it would've set me apart from from the traditional science majors who apply), reality came crashing down and I soon became overwhelmed, and my grades suffered and I ended up with approximately a 3.2 cumulative gpa. I've realized my mistakes and have taken a more dedicated and serious approach to my studies and am hoping to finish the semester strong (3.8+).


I have also taken the MCAT once without a lot of dedicated preparation and ended up doing miserably (23S) after only taking 1 practice test. I plan on re-taking as soon as I can and planning on doing the things necessary to get at least a 33.

Long story short, due to a lot of issues (notably immaturity) I feel like I've completely ruined my undergraduate experience in terms of getting into medical school. The only upside to this is that I feel as though I have finally turned the corner and am now ready to be serious about getting into medical school instead of just talking about it. I know that this starts with fixing my MCAT score (I've already begun studying more intensely than I did before and I'm now scoring in the 30's). I plan on taking the May test date.

I know I am a capable of doing the work if I put everything into it and now its just about showing that to med school adcoms. I truly feel a year of hard science will show my ability (I know doing badly in an SMP is not an option) and I realize that this may take at least a year or two (SMP and maybe a glide year), but this leads to me where I am now.

I've been looking into SMP's such as Tufts, Loyola, NYMC, etc as well as other masters programs such as USF Molecular Medicine. I know that my current MCAT score might keep me out of a few places but I was hoping if any of you could tell me if I have a shot with my current stats anywhere. My goal at this point is just to put myself in the best position to enhance my chances of getting into a medical school.

Could someone please give me advise on which SMPs you think I would have a shot at? Or just general advice on what I should do to get to a MD school in the US in the shortest time possible? If you guys could maybe give me a general plan or guideline on what I need to do would be very helpful as well.

I really just seem lost at this point and in need of help.