SMP at DO school bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello,

First, I would like to thank you for taking your time to answer my question.
I am at a dilemma on what path I should take concerning which SMP program I should consider. As of right now, I've been accepted to MWU's MABS, waitlisted for Georgetown's SMP and waiting for RFU to reply. Additionally, I've been rejected from UNTHSC's (they did a file review with me and basically told me to do a DIY post-bacc to improve my upper level chemistry courses and reapply in the beginning of spring '19.)

If I do attend MWU for their MABS, would I hurt my chances in attending a MD schools? In particular, would it hurt my chances in going to Texas MD schools?
Or would being successful in the SMP gives me better chance in going to MD schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

First, I would like to thank you for taking your time to answer my question.
Stats:
uGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.32
MCAT: 501 (retaking in July hoping for a 510+)
I am at a dilemma on what path I should take concerning which SMP program I should consider. As of right now, I've been accepted to MWU's MABS, waitlisted for Georgetown's SMP and waiting for RFU to reply. Additionally, I've been rejected from UNTHSC's (they did a file review with me and basically told me to do a DIY post-bacc to improve my upper level chemistry courses and reapply in the beginning of spring '19.)

If I do attend MWU for their MABS, would I hurt my chances in attending a MD schools? In particular, would it hurt my chances in going to Texas MD schools?
Or would being successful in the SMP gives me better chance in going to MD schools?

I'm not sure how much it will hurt your MD chances, but it would be smart for you to be shooting for DO schools. In fact, instead of risking it all with an SMP, i would improve the sGPA and apply heavily to DO schools. retake mcat if practice scoring high consistently

Edit: In your history, I see a post inflating you stats and another reporting an MCAT of 497. With a 497 mcat, my previous advice is moot

"cGPA: 3.44
sGPA: 3.51

I graduated last may, took a year off from school to travel a bit and experience life away from school. Had deaths within the family and spent multiple months out of the country to help out. Taking my MCAT in May. Should I apply to SMP and all of Texas schools?

What do you recommend?"

I'm not sure how much it will hurt your MD chances, but it would be smart for you to be shooting for DO schools. In fact, instead of risking it all with an SMP, i would improve the sGPA and apply heavily to DO schools. retake mcat if practice scoring high consistently

Edit: In your history, I see a post inflating you stats and another reporting an MCAT of 497. With a 497 mcat, my previous advice is moot

"cGPA: 3.44
sGPA: 3.51

I graduated last may, took a year off from school to travel a bit and experience life away from school. Had deaths within the family and spent multiple months out of the country to help out. Taking my MCAT in May. Should I apply to SMP and all of Texas schools?

What do you recommend?"

I did inflated my grades just to make myself feel better. But the stats that's given up there is my solid grades. The 501 is my most recent take. Only small improvement. The additional other gaps (3.20) are from my main school's before the addition of other courses that I've done during summer away from my main campus.
Additionally, I am pretty shameful of my GPA.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to be forthright so that people here can help you come up with a plan. What is your real GPA and MCAT?

Reactions: 1 user