SMP for 2.7 cgpa, 2.2 sgpa and 525 mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaoki

Reaction score
What are my chances getting accepted into an SMP? For my GPA there really isn't an upward trend. I have 5 years of research, 4 years of scribing and 1000+ hours of volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.

Impossible to answer. If you have a 525 MCAT score, you're smart enough to do the research for the requirements of each program.

Your GPA is too low for my program. I suggest that a DIY post-bac is is order.

Also, contact your UG school to see if you can get a retroactive W for any/all of your poor grade courses. It's been been done!

Reactions: 1 users
dont have much advice, but as someone who is in a similar situation (i've already done my DIY post-bacc though to raise my GPA) i'm rooting for you.

one thing i will say is that the clock is now ticking on that MCAT expiring, so you should start taking post-bacc classes ASAP. figure out how many classes you need to get your cGPA and sGPA above 3.0, and kill those classes. a 4.0 post-bacc and a 525 along with a well rounded application otherwise makes for a good story

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That is quite the discrepancy.

In your position I would do a post-bacc to get the GPA's above 3.0 - a couple of 4.0 semesters in science classes should do the trick. Once you do that you could apply and see how it shakes out, or do an SMP and kill it there, then apply.

Reactions: 2 users
I was admitted to an SMP with a 2.8 cGPA, 2.5 sGPA, and GRE score (I don't remember what it was, but it wasn't as impressive as a 525 MCAT), but I did have 40 credits of DIY post-bacc coursework at 3.7-3.8. My advice is to email the SMP admissions with your exact situation before you actually apply. A program may advertise the minimum 3.0 GPA requirement, but some will make exceptions. My program had a 3.0-cut off and I was still admitted after I used this strategy, so it obviously works at least some of the time.

You might need a post bacc and then a SMP.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools in my state will consider applicants that have x undergraduate GPA or >3.0 sGPA in the past 20+ credit hours. Your best bet world be a post-bacc of some kind and then apply to schools that have the afore mentioned policy.

Reactions: 1 users