SMP or a PostBacc PreMedical Program?

Started by Maxster
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Maxster

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My uGPA is 3.4, MCAT 32N. I live in California.

Should I apply for an SMP or should I take post-bacc classes to raise my GPA?

Specifically, I'm thinking between an SMP or this: http://www.unex.berkeley.edu/profseq/premed.html

Basically it's a 24 unit post-bacc program in order to raise uGPA. Also, it is much cheaper (probably ~15k cheaper).

I want to apply to medical school June 07. I can probably get 15-18 units of the premedical program done before June 07.

I have reservations about attending the Berkeley program because I won't be finished with it in time for the 07 AMCAS. I'm not sure if adcoms will like a half finished premedical program.

Would an SMP be a better choice because it would pit me against medical school students, while also allowing me to apply June 07?

Or could I put the Berkeley courses I'm going to take in the future (after june 07) into the 07 AMCAS application?

Also, I have to add, I did not do so well during my last year of undergrad. I got, in Spring 05: a C+, A-,A-. Summer 05: A Fall 05:B-,P (Pass), A, NP (No Pass) The NP was an upper division math course that I stupidly took, how I regret that now.

I think this information is important because of the NP on my last semester.

Or:

Option 3) Take postbacc courses in Genetics, Introduction to Neurobiology, Biochem, and Immunology during Spring 07. In addition to that, apply to an SMP.

I want to know, with my GPA and MCAT, which options will give me a better chance of getting into the class of 2012.

Your help is needed.

Thank you.
 
Have you tried applying yet? Your stats aren't far off the averages - IIRC somewhere around 3.55 & 30.
 
Your UG GPA is pretty good. National average is like 3.6 to get into allopathic. You also got a great MCAT score. So, I don't think your GPA will be a problem since it is not far from the avg. I don't think SMP is necessary for you. Why don't you take the rest of premedical courses @ berkeley and apply in june 2007. If I were you, I would do this. Doing SMP can be risky (if you don't do well in it, it can make things worse). Also, if you are considering of Osteopathic as well, I think your GPA is good enough to make it. Good luck in the future. I wish I were in California. I hate snows.

My uGPA is 3.4, MCAT 32N. I live in California.

Should I apply for an SMP or should I take post-bacc classes to raise my GPA?

Specifically, I'm thinking between an SMP or this: http://www.unex.berkeley.edu/profseq/premed.html

Basically it's a 24 unit post-bacc program in order to raise uGPA. Also, it is much cheaper (probably ~15k cheaper).

I want to apply to medical school June 07. I can probably get 15-18 units of the premedical program done before June 07.

I have reservations about attending the Berkeley program because I won't be finished with it in time for the 07 AMCAS. I'm not sure if adcoms will like a half finished premedical program.

Would an SMP be a better choice because it would pit me against medical school students, while also allowing me to apply June 07?

Or could I put the Berkeley courses I'm going to take in the future (after june 07) into the 07 AMCAS application?

Also, I have to add, I did not do so well during my last year of undergrad. I got, in Spring 05: a C+, A-,A-. Summer 05: A Fall 05:B-,P (Pass), A, NP (No Pass) The NP was an upper division math course that I stupidly took, how I regret that now.

I think this information is important because of the NP on my last semester.

Or:

Option 3) Take postbacc courses in Genetics, Introduction to Neurobiology, Biochem, and Immunology during Spring 07. In addition to that, apply to an SMP.

I want to know, with my GPA and MCAT, which options will give me a better chance of getting into the class of 2012.

Your help is needed.

Thank you.