Medical SMP program or Postbacc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI! I am an Asian American and I was a bioinformatics major with a 3.39 cumulative gpa and a 3.27 science gpa. My current mcat score is a 506. I also have a lot of clinical/volunteer experience and I am working to publish a research paper that I did. I know these number would probably make me a better candidate for a DO school but I would really like to try to get into a MD school. I got into two MS programs, one at tufts and the other at NYMC and NYMC guarantees an interview. However, I have been trying to get the stats of how many kids were successful in that program but I was never able to get a number. I also applied to medical school this cycle, both MD and DO. Do you think I should go to this MS program and try to get into their medical school or do you think I'm better off waiting this year and see how it goes and then applying to a postbac program that has a guaranteed acceptance into there program like Temple which is now closed for this cycle? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post and helping me out because I am really unsure of what to do.
Your GPAs are lethal for MD now; save your money. As you would rather wait to be an MD, than be a DO and start clinical practice a year earlier, go for the SMP. Either is fine.

I recommend NYMC for the linkage.

Note: as a reinventor, to gun for MD, you will need to retake the MCAT if you wish to be competitive for MD schools other than NYMC, and as insurance, you'll still need ot apply to DO. Suppose you do well in the SMp but bomb the nYMC interview???

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.