SMP Program - Strengthen Application

Started by willeh21
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

willeh21

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

Anyone know of a special master's program that offers MCAT prep course and a committee letter?
I was unfortunate/dumb enough to not get a committee letter and I would really like to get one if I go and do a masters program.

Stats:
GPA: 3.56
MCAT: 496 (37th percentile)
Missing science recommendation letters (only got 1)
Not looking at DO schools

Please let me know if anyone knows of any good masters program. Thanks.
 
Hey all,

Anyone know of a special master's program that offers MCAT prep course and a committee letter?
I was unfortunate/dumb enough to not get a committee letter and I would really like to get one if I go and do a masters program.

Stats:
GPA: 3.56
MCAT: 496 (37th percentile)
Missing science recommendation letters (only got 1)
Not looking at DO schools

Please let me know if anyone knows of any good masters program. Thanks.


Or a good post-bacc
 
Hey all,

Anyone know of a special master's program that offers MCAT prep course and a committee letter?
I was unfortunate/dumb enough to not get a committee letter and I would really like to get one if I go and do a masters program.

Stats:
GPA: 3.56
MCAT: 496 (37th percentile)
Missing science recommendation letters (only got 1)
Not looking at DO schools

Please let me know if anyone knows of any good masters program. Thanks.


You could get a LOR from a SMP (usually, the program director and/or your thesis (or thesis equivalent) advisor can provide one). You could also get into a post-bac with those statistics. However, I wouldn't recommend one at this point.

With your gpa, you really don't need a SMP. Your MCAT score is holding you back, and even IF you can find a Post-Bac that provides an MCAT prep course, why would you spend 50K on such a program when a really solid MCAT prep course costs at most 5k?

With your previous MCAT, the risk of doing poorly in an SMP (and therefore obliterating your chances at medical school) should be daunting. You should look into a traditional master's program. The relatively light coursework should give you a high graduate gpa, and the research should lead to a solid science LOR.