SMP timeline help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted446889

Hello,

I had a quick question about the timeline regarding doing an SMP. I am graduating this year and would like to do an SMP in the year 2018-2019.

1) Is applying for an SMP similar to medical school in that you apply a year out from matriculation? So are Summer '17 applications for the '18-'19 year? When is the earliest/best time to apply to begin in Fall '18? Please help me understand the general timeline!

2) Is it necessary for the MCAT to be taken before you apply? I currently plan on taking the MCAT in January 2018. If I get the results in February and apply, is that too late to begin in Fall '18?

My current stats are 3.4 cGPA, 2.9 sGPA. Looking to get a great MCAT score then into a safe bet SMP.

Members don't see this ad.

1. No, applying for an SMP is not similar to applying to medical school in that sense. If you apply and are accepted to an SMP in the summer of 2017, you will begin the SMP in the fall of 2017. Applications for the fall of 2018 academic year will likely not even be open in the summer of 2017.

2. It is almost universally recommended to take the MCAT before you begin an SMP. If you take the MCAT in January 2018, you will have plenty of time to submit your application.

Good luck!

Many SMP's accept the GRE. You can wait if you want.