smp to canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klmnop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started this thread in the post-bacc forum, but few people seem to be aware of canada there.

i'm a dual citizen with no canadian residency but i did my undergrad in canada. i was wondering if i completed an american smp program how canadian med schools would view it. i would love to go to a few canadian schools after i complete my smp but i am unsure if they understand it is composed of med courses. if anyone has some insight regarding this it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I remember that when I was thinking of applying to Canadian medical schools while doing my SMP, I thought I read on some of their websites that they would not consider my master's level courses in calculation of GPA (only the undergrad years), basically negating the whole point of the SMP. So I simply applied to US schools. But you may want to double check that and see if it's still current. All in all, though, I think Canadian med schools know very little about SMP programs. Good luck with the application process!

This is just what I heard from someone at mcgill a long time ago. At least at mcgill you need a certain ugrad cgpa and mcat score. i believe the cutoff was 3.5. Those are like "hurdles" and after that it's really interview/essays. They said they don't care about masters unless you pass their minimum gpa/mcat hurdles. Masters programs in canada do not really have inflated grading(you often take those courses with senior ugrads and professors expect you to work for it). Also masters programs are always funded and you do at least 50% of your work on a research project which should lead to publications. I doubt they would be impressed by a smp. And I really see no significant advantage for anybody to attend a canadian m.d. school over an american m.d. school. You can always go there after an american residency (which is also less competitive and often shorter than canadian).

This is just what I heard from someone at mcgill a long time ago. At least at mcgill you need a certain ugrad cgpa and mcat score. i believe the cutoff was 3.5. Those are like "hurdles" and after that it's really interview/essays. They said they don't care about masters unless you pass their minimum gpa/mcat hurdles. Masters programs in canada do not really have inflated grading(you often take those courses with senior ugrads and professors expect you to work for it). Also masters programs are always funded and you do at least 50% of your work on a research project which should lead to publications. I doubt they would be impressed by a smp. And I really see no significant advantage for anybody to attend a canadian m.d. school over an american m.d. school. You can always go there after an american residency (which is also less competitive and often shorter than canadian).

the advantage - the benjamins - canada schools are cheap, american not so much