SMP vs Post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

quitejaded

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd love your thoughts on this. I already have all pre-reqs for medical school and went on to get a master's degree in something else. My sci/mathGPA is abysmal. My overal uGPA is not good enough. My grad school GPA (which I think I am starting to understand makes absolutely no difference) is 3.5 aka not-good-enough.

My options are -

Score well on MCAT and get accepted into an SMP

or

Do the grade-forgiveness thing we have in Texas where classes over 10 years old are erased from my GPA and do a post bacc program to do the pre-reqs all over again and get a high GPA.

I don't understand which one is a better decision time wise, finances wise, and upping my stats wise.

Or... would it be good to do both?

Another option I've been thinking about -- since I am working full-time, possibly do the grade forgiveness thing and take my time re-doing all the pre-reqs. Maybe doing them online.

Thanks!
 
Last edited: