SMP's in texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any SMP programs in texas? Unfortunately, I can't see any listed in the aamc list.

Members don't see this ad.

bravotwozero said:
Are there any SMP programs in texas? Unfortunately, I can't see any listed in the aamc list.
I'll take your definition of SMP to mean something along the lines of preprofessional graduate programs. (Everyone seems to have a different definition! :D)

I know that UNT / TCOM definitely has a postbaccalaureate premedical (certificate?) program. It sounds great if you're considering applying to osteopathic schools (especially TCOM, because it appears to be designed so that you can skip the glide year)

I don't know of any programs in Texas that are specifically designed as graduate level preprofessional programs. But I do know Texas Tech has a masters' cell/molecular bio track meant for those who want to be teachers OR those interested in improving their academic records for med school. Texas has a lot of graduate schools with programs that have been used as stepping stones to medicine (e.g., UTHSCSA seems to have an anatomy track through their master in cell/structural bio dept meant primarily for teaching and I think there might be a similar program at Texas A&M), but Texas Tech and TCOM seem to have the most welcoming/intended programs for preprofessionals that I know of.

bravotwozero said:

Here is the link to the program that PHIL is talking about. http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/gsbs/disciplines.cfm

Also do a search of all the medical schools in Texas. All of them have masters degrees that will help. Texas Tech as well as the Southwestern have very flexible Masters degrees not a "SMP" that one could use to become a more competitive applicant. These programs are more tradional research type masters but they only require 30 semester hours and have non-thesis options at 36 hours. San Antonio and Houston will let you create your own program essentialy. I would advise calling them and getting specific information. I have only been to their websites so thats where my info is coming from.

Is there any program out there that Phil does not know about?? Is there anybody out there who has any first hand experience with the programs at Texas Tech and TCOM?