SMU or AUA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anomorato

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Iam in the zone of great confusiong of trying to decide between SMU and AUA for the Jan 07 semster. Thought I might be able to get some feedback about both school, and which would you recommend??
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just curious why those 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
Because those are the two that accepted them, smarty pants.:smuggrin:

McGill, I love how you have posted literally 100's of posts but yet you haven't started med school. I'm just curious, have you even been to any of the schools? If so which ones?

McGill, I love how you have posted literally 100's of posts but yet you haven't started med school. I'm just curious, have you even been to any of the schools? If so which ones?

Over 1000 posts, to be exact. I have not been to any of the schools and I am not planning to visit them before I start. It doesn't matter to me what the school or island is like as long as it allows access to all 50 states. I am focused on succeeding in medicine, not planning a vacation.

Are there any other questions that you want to hijack this thread with? Shouldn't you be studying instead of wasting your time posting on a discussion board?

well.. back to our subject. SMU or AUA ? ;)

well.. back to our subject. SMU or AUA ? ;)
Hey anomorato! I have been accepted to both and know ppl in both. I'm tempted to say go with SMU, b/c they have graduates, and licensed physicians in some States. AUA just started their clinical rotation like one year ago. Most of their first classes were transfers (Fail outs) from ROSS and other schools. In all fairness same goes for SMU nly much earlier. The problem with SMU is the Cali report, which they have been trying to minimize, and downplay. But in short, they both have NY approval, and will get you MD for a pyle of cash. Compaire to other places in the Carib Antigua is nice, and GC is a real first-World island country. Both those schools are relatavely new, and not yet well-known. Though SMU, quite unfortunately, managed to be scandalously famous, IMHO. AUA does not carry such baggage, but no graduates / residents / licensed docs, quire questionable (per AUA students) twinning financial aid program etc. Take your pick. It's diet coke vs diet pepsi.
Hope it helps. You'll get a lot more milage out of www.valuemd.com , but that's not neccessarely better, IMHO.

which one u going to attend billybob??

sorry i meant Billydoc, misread it lol

Over 1000 posts, to be exact. I have not been to any of the schools and I am not planning to visit them before I start. It doesn't matter to me what the school or island is like as long as it allows access to all 50 states. I am focused on succeeding in medicine, not planning a vacation.

Are there any other questions that you want to hijack this thread with? Shouldn't you be studying instead of wasting your time posting on a discussion board?

I was just curious how you became an expert of caribbean schools but you haven't been to any of them. Can I become an expert of McGill University without ever setting foot in Canada? See my point. In reading alot of your posts I would say a great amount of the information you have posted is incorrect or flat out wrong. I know that seems like a pretty bold statement but you seem to be off alot here and there and it adds up. I would hate to see someone interested in going to the Caribbean read your posts and actually believe you.

I was just curious how you became an expert of caribbean schools but you haven't been to any of them.

I am starting a new thread to address this because I will not hijack this thread.

To the OP, I would suggest finding out which school has access to the states that you would like to practice in and go from there.

I deferred SMU for almost 2 years, after withdrawing from ROSS for health reasons. I thought I could go right back...but ,sometimes life gets in the way. I've been to Antigua (not the school though) with some of my friends from ROSS who considered transfering.We met with AUA dean Dr. G. It was back in 2004. To me AUA is way too much money for the school that did not have any graduates, and nobody in residency. I have no doubts that tey will come around some time later. I was also accepted to SABA back in 2004. But the islands like Dominica, and SABA make it more difficult for me and my family. I'm no premodonna, but need certain things, and the ability to be back to the States if need be. i'm also a bit older. So, SMU is alright for my needs. Let me know when you decide.
Best of Luck

Well I Uh know him, he has told me SMU but I advise against them. I think AUA is way better. He wants NY really bad, both schools have only NY approval.

(My school does not yet..........) :luck:

anomorato I'm curious about something, California has listed SMU as unapproved hence no Lic there or in the states that use the California list, That means 8 states total Texas just added them on thier web site as unapproved, AUA has no such dissaproval so a state that uses the California list would not see Approved or dissapproved and they may accept the License from AUA on Case by Case, SO WHY is there such a hard choice? I wouldnot go to a school listed as unapproved and in danger of no License in so many states? And I do not go to such a school. SO why not AUA? (No not my school)

Members don't see this ad :)
are both of these school california accredited? Also, do they teach in english? thanks!

are both of these school california accredited? Also, do they teach in english? thanks!
NOPE

Yes they teach in English,

AUA is the better choice or St. James (had to I go there) LOL
:luck:

Never mind. This appears to be another valuemcrap under a different title. Nice trick. Same biased moderators, different name. Well, maybe not. We will see.

Hi. I am a 4th semester student at SMU, and I absolutely hate SMU! I am applying right now to transfer out of SMU into AUA or Sint Eustatius. I will not hide my name, as I never did on novaluemcrap. I feel that the SMU adminisatration was part of the reason I was banned from that "public forum." It is not a public forum. The moderators always control what is being said. The school administrators control what is being said. Be ready to be regulated when you go to SMU. The current president of SMU requested on several occassions that I do not post on valuemcrap. A "public forum." Yeah right! If it were a public forum, Americans such as myself would be allowed to express ourselves freely. We have to watch everything we say on valuemcrap because school officials monitor the forum, especially at SMU. I have even seen recent posts on that site, where the students are being threatened by valuemcrap. Valuemcrap threatens to tell school officials that their specific student is posting such and such, so the school can punish the student. Valuemcrap is ridiculous. A public forum has nothing to do with the medical school. SMU is going to try and control what you say and do. They monitor what you watch on tv and on the internet while you are living in the residence halls on grand cayman. I know because I lived there for one year. The administration is going to tell you one thing, but they are completely deceptive. Wait and see what happens after you get there. They did not give a darn about me or any other student. They are constantly changing things whether it hurts or helps you. If you go to SMU, it is your own choice. But, you have been warnded about this horrible school. If they kick me out, they will be doing me a favor. I would go to AUA anyday over SMU! Best wishes!:)

don t be like that tell it like it is

Well then there you have it. We'll know if I am banned in a couple of days. I didn't like stephew's, teratos's or any of the other moderators biased moderation on valuemcrap, and I am certainly not going to like their biased moderation on here, assuming they are biased on here. If however, they are not biased on this website, then I am always open to hear them out. I'm sure they are good people, I just did not like the way they controlled the airways. There was no freedom of speech on valuemcrap, seems like it may be different here. I have not been banned yet, nor have my posts been edited thus far, nor have I been warned yet. Surprising, very surprising. But, great. Free to say what we want, within reason. At least, I hope so.

As far as saving my previous post, great. I always stand by what I say and believe! Bring it on!!!

Yeah SMU doesn't have a mod here but STEPHEW is a mod here :luck:

Great point! That is soooo true. Say anything about any school on valuemcrap either the school or the moderators don't like or approve, and it is deleted. Then the mod says you did not follow the rules, or even better, they did not "delete" anything. The mods and schools are soooo full of it on valuemcrap. At least on here, we are able to speak our minds and discuss ideas. This seems to be much more like a public forum; which should encourage exchange of ideas and opinions. That is what the US was founded upon; that is one thing that seperates great societies from bad ones. It is none of the school's business what any student says on a PUBLIC FORUM. That is the whole point of having a public forum. The only people who do that are the ones who have something to hide, and we all know those people are often guilty of something. Yes, that is right I do not trust them, SMU or any school that regulates what is being said on a public forum.

Great point! That is soooo true. Say anything about any school on valuemcrap either the school or the moderators don't like or approve, and it is deleted. Then the mod says you did not follow the rules, or even better, they did not "delete" anything. The mods and schools are soooo full of it on valuemcrap. At least on here, we are able to speak our minds and discuss ideas. This seems to be much more like a public forum; which should encourage exchange of ideas and opinions. That is what the US was founded upon; that is one thing that seperates great societies from bad ones. It is none of the school's business what any student says on a PUBLIC FORUM. That is the whole point of having a public forum. The only people who do that are the ones who have something to hide, and we all know those people are often guilty of something. Yes, that is right I do not trust them, SMU or any school that regulates what is being said on a public forum.

SMU IS A GREAT SCHOOL MCAT REQUIRED JAN 07 IF YOU DON T LIKE THE SCHOOL THEN BE MAN ENOUGH TO SAY NOTHING I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT WANT TO BE YOUR PARTNER AND YOU BAD MOUTH ME IF I DIDN T GIVE YOU SOMETHING YOU WANTED,,,,GROW UP MAN IF YOU FAILED OUT OF A SCHOOL ITS YOURRRRRRRRRRR FAULT IF YOU RE UNHAPPY SEEK HELP AND FIND OUT WHY, BUT DON T BAD MOUTH A SCHOOL FOR NO REASON DON T BE SURPRISED YOU RE NOT SUED AND DON T THINK IT CANNOT HAPPEN...PLENTY OF PEOPLE GOT SUED AND LOST AND HAD TO PAY TRIPLE DAMAGES TO THE COMPANIES OF PUBLIUC TRADING FIRMS THAT POSTERS BAD MOUTHED ON THE STOCK TRADING BOARDS ON YAHOO AND OTHER SITES....GROW UP

SMU IS A GREAT SCHOOL MCAT REQUIRED JAN 07 IF YOU DON T LIKE THE SCHOOL THEN BE MAN ENOUGH TO SAY NOTHING I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT WANT TO BE YOUR PARTNER AND YOU BAD MOUTH ME IF I DIDN T GIVE YOU SOMETHING YOU WANTED,,,,GROW UP MAN IF YOU FAILED OUT OF A SCHOOL ITS YOURRRRRRRRRRR FAULT IF YOU RE UNHAPPY SEEK HELP AND FIND OUT WHY, BUT DON T BAD MOUTH A SCHOOL FOR NO REASON DON T BE SURPRISED YOU RE NOT SUED AND DON T THINK IT CANNOT HAPPEN...PLENTY OF PEOPLE GOT SUED AND LOST AND HAD TO PAY TRIPLE DAMAGES TO THE COMPANIES OF PUBLIUC TRADING FIRMS THAT POSTERS BAD MOUTHED ON THE STOCK TRADING BOARDS ON YAHOO AND OTHER SITES....GROW UP

How would you know? DO you eve go to medschool? I checked you out and you troll the caribbean forums on VMD asking questions like your applying? Tell the truth!

I go to St. James, no not the best school in the caribbean but also not unapproved in about 8 states like SMU, St. James is not on any list.

I really think you should stop the threats :thumbdown:

Man enough to not say anything, grow up. Do you or have you attended SMU? How do you know I flunked out. Maybe you are one of the school officials for SMU and have something in store for me. I am simply telling potential students my opinion and experience at SMU. They can do what they want. Folks love to defend the school. I suspect it is a school official trying to mislead another student, but who knows. I'm leaving SMU, and I am going to continue to let people know what I experienced. Do a better job with your school, and you won't have to worry about these posts. Sue away. I am really scared about hearing all of these threats about suing students for expressing their opinions on a public forum. Let's go to court. I would love it! Please sue me! In fact, let's go to the state licensing board of New York and see what they think of this. Or, better yet, the accrediting body for SMU and see what they think. Didn't SMU try to sue California for rejecting them. Seems like every time SMU gets told straight out that they suck, they want to sue someone. My impression is that SMU loves to threaten people. Well, threaten me all you want. Bring it on!!