SN2'd first day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This was supposed to be a thread about the first day of SN2. However as with all intelligent life, things evolve. This thread has now become a support page for people following the SN2 plan. You can think of it as Alcoholics Anonymous for people studying to take the MCAT using the SN2 plan.

EDIT July 1, 2014:
If you are interested in @mehc012's Anki Deck, DO NOT SEND A PM. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7if6wgaif98rkoa/mehc012 SN2edCh4s.apkg
**A NOTE: @mehc012 and several others (myself included) want to tell you guys that studying from another person's deck will probably not be as beneficial to you as creating your own cards. Yes you can take advantage of @mehc012's generosity, but you won't get the same advantage. Study the material. Create cards as you go along. You will find it more helpful to your studying. **

EDIT July 22, 2014:
The following is @TBRBiosadist's official MCAT Verbal Reasoning Strategy:
@TBRBiosadist's strategy that got [him] from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

Spend the bulk of your time reading. Up to 3 minutes per passage.
  • Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Or to summarize in one sentence

Understand what the hell the author is arguing

EDIT July 26, 2014:

@DoctorInASaree uploaded a guide to Verbal Reasoning. If you're interested, it's worth a look. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

EDIT 2, July 26, 2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2d-first-day.1074344/page-52#post-15510851

The first day is BR physics chapter (translational motion) + 1/3 of the passages. I felt like I wasn't able to apply the stuff I read into the stuff I was tested on.

Has anyone felt this way when following the schedule? It just seems like the contents of the chapter didn't really stick in my head when I took the practice passages. Will this improve over time?

EDIT 3, March 4, 2015:

For verbal, if you are feeling lost and confused, I highly highly recommend you to look into the MCAT Strategy Course by @Jack Westin. I've been working with him, and nothing comes close to his course and teaching. It's a strategy course, so it will cover everything, not just the VR/CARS section.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I do have my quirks and an obsession for biology but it was really refreshing to actually enjoy reading BR bio after a week of boring PS. Haha yes I'm wierd.

BUZjq6l.png
I have switched to TPR Bio not as crazy and TBR but not as weak as EK ... Goldilocks Zone
2f79cfccf7f7978b148e178452474a35cb94ddc6282688a072f5c2e23a0bff67.jpg

I'd just like to emote that going back to TBR after a fling with a lesser review book/video is like finding yourself in the company of a dark, handsome, complex stranger after wasting your time talking to a basic b*tch (or man) for hours. You'll be tricked immediately on the first example problem, and then remember that you are back where you belong. #lovehateTBR

I'd just like to emote that going back to TBR after a fling with a lesser review book/video is like finding yourself in the company of a dark, handsome, complex stranger after wasting your time talking to a basic b*tch (or man) for hours. You'll be tricked immediately on the first example problem, and then remember that you are back where you belong. #lovehateTBR
+1000 Point me thinks you like dark guys !!
tumblr_m5fp37EwSw1rv7rwoo1_500.gif

Members don't see this ad :)

8u42v.jpg

Ive been using tbr as a good read on my bio day. I actually like the depth and details. I don't take notes except in the margins and don't attempt to memorize every detail in that book, but like @lazyindy I totally feel the joy in bio vs PS :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
absolutely crushed the first BR bio chapter!!! only got 2 wrong on the passages for the first 1/3.

Reactions: 1 users
So hard to stay motivated in this last week... can someone come and lock me in a room with nothing but the TBR books?

Don't believe me if I tell you I need water.. it'll be a ploy.

I have just finished enjoying a few days off...here's my new plan:

"30 days or less": I plan on reviewing all of TBR's content review, and retaking notes as I go along in thirty days or less. My goal is to cover three chapters a day, a TBR FL each Sunday, and if I finish early...I shall take more TBR FLs! In the final month I will write all of the AAMC FLs (except for 3 because I have already completed it), and AAMC's SA packages.

"30 days or less": I plan on reviewing all of TBR's content review, and retaking notes as I go along in thirty days or less. My goal is to cover three chapters a day, a TBR FL each Sunday, and if I finish early...I shall take more TBR FLs! In the final month I will write all of the AAMC FLs (except for 3 because I have already completed it), and AAMC's SA packages.

You can do it Saree!! I would suggest as your going through everything try and focus on knowledge gaps and any weaknesses. So by the time you take AAMC SA you won't be as overwhelmed in that last month

Members don't see this ad :)
Exam is in two days.... I keep switching back and forth from excitement and anxiety :/

Hope your days off were more productive (aka, educational) than my marathoning of the first season of Keeping Up With the Kardashians and eating peanut butter cups in bed today.

Exam is in two days.... I keep switching back and forth from excitement and anxiety :/

You're so gonna kill it man. Remember that the person who scores above their AAMC average has the moment on the real exam where they're like "holy ****, I'm taking this thing" and they use that to get game face. I have no doubt that you'll do that and I hope you're using this time to relax your face off, hopefully not by killing your brain cells as I've described above ^, but seriously, you're so close to being done!

Hope your days off were more productive (aka, educational) than my marathoning of the first season of Keeping Up With the Kardashians and eating peanut butter cups in bed today.

You're so gonna kill it man. Remember that the person who scores above their AAMC average has the moment on the real exam where they're like "holy ****, I'm taking this thing" and they use that to get game face. I have no doubt that you'll do that and I hope you're using this time to relax your face off, hopefully not by killing your brain cells as I've described above ^, but seriously, you're so close to being done!

Thank you so much! I really hope so. I'll just think about Kristen Bell whenever I get nervous and I'll be fine :)

Are

you finished with classes or will you be doing this with a full course load ?? Either way you're super girl !
giphy.gif

You can do it Saree!! I would suggest as your going through everything try and focus on knowledge gaps and any weaknesses. So by the time you take AAMC SA you won't be as overwhelmed in that last month

Thank you for the vote of confidence :D I will take your advice to heart!

Are

you finished with classes or will you be doing this with a full course load ?? Either way you're super girl !
giphy.gif

I'm taking three courses in the upcoming Fall term, because I was taking 6/7 courses a semester in 2nd and 3rd year :p And thank you!

Was thinking today how rough it will be doing classes, lab technician and researching,,, And dam I just got depressed .... If I wasn't so much a stereotypical guy I would cry with some ice-cream
tumblr_mt96e1NmPO1qii6tmo1_500.gif

Last edited:
Good luck, just power through the test, and I know you got this. not like the girl in my test center who started crying, I felt bad for her :(.

Was thinking today how rough it will be doing classes, lab technician and researching,,, And dam I just got depressed .... If I wasn't so much a stereotypical guy I would cry with some ice-cream
tumblr_mt96e1NmPO1qii6tmo1_500.gif

Dude, I am right there with you.

I moved my exam to October 21st and I'm about to go into the hardest semester of my life. I have a part time job at school and I am involved in two research labs (only because i'm thinking of doing MD/PhD) and I just have a HORRIBLE teacher for one class and I need to get A's this semester.

Just think about how rewarding it will be when you're all finished though. Imagine trying your hardest and succeeding. Honestly today I was just standing outside in the sun and looking at the mountains and after some deep thinking I realized that I can, I really can. I just need to stop interrupting my study sessions with SDN and other things.

I think a lot of us think we'er studying hard, but in reality, we aren't going as hard as we can. I was with a friend of mind and I watched him study for his board exam. He was so concentrated, so dedicated and had so much drive to do well that at the end of a 5 hours session he was actually tired! We ate for 30mins and got back to another 5 hours session. The second session was better than the first! How?!? He knows that time is not in our control but we can control what we do with our time. But more importantly he said everyone actually knows that. But people don't really use their time efficiently. This is where I lack to be honest. I need to put more energy into every minute and I think that changed the course of my studying.

Reactions: 8 users

I moved my exam to October 21st and I'm about to go into the hardest semester of my life. I have a part time job at school and I am involved in two research labs (only because i'm thinking of doing MD/PhD) and I just have a HORRIBLE teacher for one class and I need to get A's this semester.

Just think about how rewarding it will be when you're all finished though. Imagine trying your hardest and succeeding. Honestly today I was just standing outside in the sun and looking at the mountains and after some deep thinking I realized that I can, I really can. I just need to stop interrupting my study sessions with SDN and other things.

I think a lot of us think we'er studying hard, but in reality, we aren't going as hard as we can. I was with a friend of mind and I watched him study for his board exam. He was so concentrated, so dedicated and had so much drive to do well that at the end of a 5 hours session he was actually tired! We ate for 30mins and got back to another 5 hours session. The second session was better than the first! How?!? He knows that time is not in our control but we can control what we do with our time. But more importantly he said everyone actually knows that. But people don't really use their time efficiently. This is where I lack to be honest. I need to put more energy into every minute and I think that changed the course of my studying.
Your last paragraph is golden. I finally realized that I didn't approach studying with the same drive as I did other aspects of my life including normal semesters. I slacked quite a bit despite spending hours studying in a day. My time wasn't used efficiently and I'm feeling it now. I'm gonna take the exam on sept. 10 and see how it goes but I think I know now what I need to do in order to fix this

love your last paragraph as we all def should be motivated to our fullest for this test but some of us are in different circumstances. If you are in the midst of a hard semester you should really consider pushing back your date. I tried to juggle the mcat this past spring while taking hard science classes and my grades on my first few midterms weren't exactly stellar. Not doubting your capabilities but just offering some advice from someone who knows how hard it is to juggle courseload with this beast of an exam.

Although if you do get a 4.0 and a rocking MCAT score then I'll be a little jealous :p

love your last paragraph as we all def should be motivated to our fullest for this test but some of us are in different circumstances. If you are in the midst of a hard semester you should really consider pushing back your date. I tried to juggle the mcat this past spring while taking hard science classes and my grades on my first few midterms weren't exactly stellar. Not doubting your capabilities but just offering some advice from someone who knows how hard it is to juggle courseload with this beast of an exam.

Although if you do get a 4.0 and a rocking MCAT score then I'll be a little jealous :p

Your last paragraph is golden. I finally realized that I didn't approach studying with the same drive as I did other aspects of my life including normal semesters. I slacked quite a bit despite spending hours studying in a day. My time wasn't used efficiently and I'm feeling it now. I'm gonna take the exam on sept. 10 and see how it goes but I think I know now what I need to do in order to fix this

I think I need to listen to my own advice, it seems its not so bad!

In regards to my semester- I plan on seeing how I can juggle everything early in the semester. If I see that I'm seriously struggling even with actually working hard then I will move it. But if not, then I will just push through it with everything I have.

I honestly am excited to work hard this semester. I REALLY want to see how hard I can really push myself. I feel that I am capable of working very hard and doing well but I just need to be challenged. I'm taking this semester and the MCAT as a means to prove to myself that I am actually in control of a lot more than I think. I hope I succeed in proving to myself that I am capable of much more, I just have to dig deeper and I believe i can only do that though a challenge.

Edit: Everyone here is a motivational factor for me that has propelled me through some tough times. I didn't know it was possible to have such great support from strangers all over the world...be it SDN to find such support!

Reactions: 3 users
I honestly am excited to work hard this semester. I REALLY want to see how hard I can really push myself. I feel that I am capable of working very hard and doing well but I just need to be challenged. I'm taking this semester and the MCAT as a means to prove to myself that I am actually in control of a lot more than I think. I hope I succeed in proving to myself that I am capable of much more, I just have to dig deeper and I believe i can only do that though a challenge.

I was telling one of my friends starting her sophomore year/taking her harder pre-med classes this year that that's where the fun begins...pushing your limits, achieving, finding that you are in fact capable of things with good ol' blood, sweat, and tears. Life just isn't fun without a challenge. Finding out you can be the best at something by working hard? I think that's the best kind of feeling ever.

We get to use this as an opportunity to test our limits yet again, find out what we're capable of, get that MCAT score of champions.

I feel like I continually am on a spectrum of believing in myself and not believing in myself, ha, but once the semester starts and I have things to channel my energy into other than worrying about this test 24/7 - there's no OPTION other than believing you can do it, within healthy reason obviously, but I think the environment of being surrounded by friends on campus also studying, interesting classes, extracurricular activities, etc. - that **** keeps you sane.

I think I need to listen to my own advice, it seems its not so bad!

In regards to my semester- I plan on seeing how I can juggle everything early in the semester. If I see that I'm seriously struggling even with actually working hard then I will move it. But if not, then I will just push through it with everything I have.

Edit: Everyone here is a motivational factor for me that has propelled me through some tough times. I didn't know it was possible to have such great support from strangers all over the world...be it SDN to find such support!
MY THREAD WILL LIVE PAST SUMMER YAAAAS

Reactions: 3 users
You guys can do it! Even if it doesn't work out best for the first time, I'm sure you'll all get there in the end as far as you have that drive and motivation! I feel like I, myself, am probably not as efficient with my time as I should be, and I'm worried that it's going to come back to haunt me, but all we can do is keep trying and do our best...!!

(This is what I keep telling myself... ;___; Especially after 50%-ing a TBR chapter for the first time)

Can someone clarify a confusing concept to me?
P. 14 in Berkeley Physics book 2, in the box, it shows that if Vs is negative, the source is moving towards listener and if Vs is positive, source is moving away from the listener.

but back on P. 13, it says below that "Equation 6.5 is telling us that the source of the sound moves towards you (Vs > 0), then you hear a higher pitch corresponding to a greater frequency. If the source of the sound is moving away from you (Vs < 0), then you hear a lower pitch corresponding to a smaller frequency.

Is it just me or is there a typo?

@BerkReviewTeach

I feel like I continually am on a spectrum of believing in myself and not believing in myself, ha, but once the semester starts and I have things to channel my energy into other than worrying about this test 24/7 - there's no OPTION other than believing you can do it, within healthy reason obviously, but I think the environment of being surrounded by friends on campus also studying, interesting classes, extracurricular activities, etc. - that **** keeps you sane.
I yo-yo on this every hour. "I can score really high." "No I can't, I'm not going to get the score I need"

People say confidence matters but so far my highest AAMC was after scoring my lowest and having a low moment of believing in myself.

This test is a sanity check - I'm just hoping the number represents the hours dedicated at the end of it.

I cant stress how much busting my ass to make sure I dont finish a chapter unless I know the ins and out of a topic is paying off .. It makes re-reading days alot easier because I question the hell out of TBR every step of the way...
Be Like Peter griffin

I cant stress how much busting my ass to make sure I dont finish a chapter unless I know the ins and out of a topic is paying off .. It makes re-reading days alot easier because I question the hell out of TBR every step of the way...
Be Like Peter griffin

What do you mean by question?

I yo-yo on this every hour. "I can score really high." "No I can't, I'm not going to get the score I need"

People say confidence matters but so far my highest AAMC was after scoring my lowest and having a low moment of believing in myself.

This test is a sanity check - I'm just hoping the number represents the hours dedicated at the end of it.

From what I've seen on here, AAMC 11 is consistently a dream crusher. At least it wasn't the last AAMC you took going into your test and you used the information from your post-game to improve on another FL. Don't let this test drive you crazy. It's literally just a test. Yeah, it matters, but you can take it again if the test center burns down while you're taking the test or the computer starts shooting lasers at you. :luck: Idk when your test is, but if it's the 21st, take a break..your mental state going in is going to allow you to perform better than any sort of cramming at this point will.

And always listen to the man.

tumblr_inline_n6d39eOQNU1qgp297.png

What do you mean by question?
TBR review says X does this , so i sit for couple of minutes and ponder why X does this particular thing , while doing that I am also trying to draw in knowledge from all the topics I know trying to intertwine them in helping me figure out the problem or situation in which they present .. After I go online read couple of posts and then watch a few videos I can answer why in my own words.. Later on the book TBR might give the reason to why X behaves this way but after doing my research I can critique the hell out of there explanation. At the end of the day I agree with them but ultimately can phrase it better than they did or but it in words that I can handle better ... The take away point, is the fact that I questioned the explanation and went out of my way to find out why something it stayed alot better with me.. Its like a old Jamaican saying *ano who **** a bush will rememba a who step ina it* Translation the person who ****s in the bushed dont particularly remember where he ****s because he just went somewhere and did his business kinda how we just take the TBR explanations as the best way . But the Person who steps in the **** remembers exactly where and what he was doing at that moment because it impacted him in a way (ie took a little extra work to clean off )... Sorry Im not as nice with the words as my girl Saree!!

got sidetracked with family issues the past 2 days. Plan to skip my 2 rest days for the next two weeks for the SN2ed schedule...good idea or nay?

got sidetracked with family issues the past 2 days. Plan to skip my 2 rest days for the next two weeks for the SN2ed schedule...good idea or nay?
Wouldn't suggest it. If I had to re-do this whole summer again I would have started the schedule a week earlier to give myslf extra break days, maybe you're a machine but once you get into the last month it all starts to catch up with you - or at least it did for me.

Can someone clarify a confusing concept to me?
P. 14 in Berkeley Physics book 2, in the box, it shows that if Vs is negative, the source is moving towards listener and if Vs is positive, source is moving away from the listener.

but back on P. 13, it says below that "Equation 6.5 is telling us that the source of the sound moves towards you (Vs > 0), then you hear a higher pitch corresponding to a greater frequency. If the source of the sound is moving away from you (Vs < 0), then you hear a lower pitch corresponding to a smaller frequency.

Is it just me or is there a typo?

@BerkReviewTeach
Can't attest to your book specifically, but if vs is positive it means the source is moving towards you and thus the frequency is observed as higher than it actually is.

I watched an episode of Cosmos the other night with Neil Degrasse Tyson and the entire episode was based around sound and colours etc. Actually was a pretty good refresher :p

Can't attest to your book specifically, but if vs is positive it means the source is moving towards you and thus the frequency is observed as higher than it actually is.
that's what i thought. so there's a error in the book then right?
Hope you're all doing well. Feels weird not checking this site every 30 min.
I think my thread is starting to go into a coma and sadist ditched us

that's what i thought. so there's a error in the book then right?

I think my thread is starting to go into a coma and sadist ditched us
There are frequently outrageous errors in TBR Physics that say exactly the opposite of what it's supposed to be. I have spent hours on end verifying that my understanding is correct and that something is a typo, because the typo is like so conveniently confusing. It drives me nuts. There are also spliced parts/lines of random questions from previous chapters within passages, or things like saying that "(the answer listed in choice B) is correct", then saying therefore "the answer is C", or having errors in the small answer key just prior to the answer explanations, leading to panic. Despite all of this heartache I still tolerate TBR Physics because it's way better than any alternative.

3 days until Doctor who starts back !! reason for cheer !! I wonder what is the exam is like to be this kind of doctor lol
tumblr_mlxfdcDHXS1qhtr57o1_400.gif

Alright weird question: So as part of a TPR class, I took AAMC 10. I never really reviewed it as in-depth as I should have, and it has been quite a few weeks since I took it but since it's an AAMC I still want to review it. I am looking at the test and have absolutely no idea what is going on (I forgot it pretty fast)... any suggestions on how to refresh the test before I review it?

Hey guys did anyone feel TBR ch 7 for physics (fluids and solids) is kinda weak? I have loved TBR up to this point, but might use TPRH for this chapter--have heard other people echo this chapter and electrostatics and electromagnetism (ch 8) in TBR was a weak point. What does everyone think? Thanks. I hate to switch up from TBR (I love them) but I do have TPRH too. Either way would use TBR for passages for these chapters, but might use TPRH for content if you guys agree. Gahh thanks guys.

Hey guys did anyone feel TBR ch 7 for physics (fluids and solids) is kinda weak? I have loved TBR up to this point, but might use TPRH for this chapter--have heard other people echo this chapter and electrostatics and electromagnetism (ch 8) in TBR was a weak point. What does everyone think? Thanks. I hate to switch up from TBR (I love them) but I do have TPRH too. Either way would use TBR for passages for these chapters, but might use TPRH for content if you guys agree. Gahh thanks guys.
Reading this chapter as we speak .. It is kinda shaky and written badly on some example problems . But after looking through the passages it seems it hits on all of the needed material not dealt with in the chapter ... So this chapter is a prime example of learning by doing alot of questions .. I love TPR and Nova physics because of there heavy math over view .. But the end of the day all these review books are the same thing just comes down to the effort you put into it

Seeing that some of yall are at the end of this schedule I was wondering how yall felt about it. I'm on the first week of the schedule now and it's a bit of a struggle. How long did it take yall to acclimate? Any advice or suggestions appreciated but I'll surf the thread to see what else I can find.

Reading this chapter as we speak .. It is kinda shaky and written badly on some example problems . But after looking through the passages it seems it hits on all of the needed material not dealt with in the chapter ... So this chapter is a prime example of learning by doing alot of questions .. I love TPR and Nova physics because of there heavy math over view .. But the end of the day all these review books are the same thing just comes down to the effort you put into it
Not so much weak as I think it becomes very conceptual after fluids. Even fluids was hard for me first time. But read it through again and you'll get it down better

Seeing that some of yall are at the end of this schedule I was wondering how yall felt about it. I'm on the first week of the schedule now and it's a bit of a struggle. How long did it take yall to acclimate? Any advice or suggestions appreciated but I'll surf the thread to see what else I can find.
If I were you, I would have read the chapters twice, once just to read and another to read and take notes. I also would have not freaked out and started the 3 month schedule an entire month early so I would have adequate time and break days. This schedule isn't for the light of heart. It's a great way to get immersed into the MCAT world. But if you get to the end and feel like "WTF did I just do with my time spent" then step back and read up on content more.

I realize what I said may make no sense to you but you gotta push through the material at least once and then take Fls and see where you stand before you go further.

I really liked using TPR as a supplement for TBR. Especially from 7 and on. Their magnetism chapter is like 50 pages long but sooo worth it IMO.

I didnt ditch you guys, I love you guys <3. Im just busy not being sober, making bad decisions, and putting my thing in various things