SN2'd first day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This was supposed to be a thread about the first day of SN2. However as with all intelligent life, things evolve. This thread has now become a support page for people following the SN2 plan. You can think of it as Alcoholics Anonymous for people studying to take the MCAT using the SN2 plan.

EDIT July 1, 2014:
If you are interested in @mehc012's Anki Deck, DO NOT SEND A PM. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7if6wgaif98rkoa/mehc012 SN2edCh4s.apkg
**A NOTE: @mehc012 and several others (myself included) want to tell you guys that studying from another person's deck will probably not be as beneficial to you as creating your own cards. Yes you can take advantage of @mehc012's generosity, but you won't get the same advantage. Study the material. Create cards as you go along. You will find it more helpful to your studying. **

EDIT July 22, 2014:
The following is @TBRBiosadist's official MCAT Verbal Reasoning Strategy:
@TBRBiosadist's strategy that got [him] from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

Spend the bulk of your time reading. Up to 3 minutes per passage.
  • Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Or to summarize in one sentence

Understand what the hell the author is arguing

EDIT July 26, 2014:

@DoctorInASaree uploaded a guide to Verbal Reasoning. If you're interested, it's worth a look. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

EDIT 2, July 26, 2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2d-first-day.1074344/page-52#post-15510851

The first day is BR physics chapter (translational motion) + 1/3 of the passages. I felt like I wasn't able to apply the stuff I read into the stuff I was tested on.

Has anyone felt this way when following the schedule? It just seems like the contents of the chapter didn't really stick in my head when I took the practice passages. Will this improve over time?

EDIT 3, March 4, 2015:

For verbal, if you are feeling lost and confused, I highly highly recommend you to look into the MCAT Strategy Course by @Jack Westin. I've been working with him, and nothing comes close to his course and teaching. It's a strategy course, so it will cover everything, not just the VR/CARS section.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Dayyyum, been out of the county for a week and all this drama ensues.

Thanks for the good read doh

I am by no means the expert because I still manage to miss 1 or 2 per passage BUT what I realized is that you can almost get a whole passage wrong but if you do generally well on the rest you can pull a 10 :). So I read it once through but I got this advice from @sillyjoe to read it as if I am saying a prayer.. like not loud enough where anyone can hear you but you. That way you are not only reading but also mouthing the words which in my case really helped me focus. It takes me from 3-4 mins to do that .. it also helps me understand the passage really well. But I rarely look back at the passage except for the natural sciences I think they are.. the ones about dinosaurs and the earth and stuff like that.

I would try that with AAMC passages tho because IMO this approach fails with kaplan, TBR, EK101. Also verbal is such a shady game changer because the difference between a 9 and a 1o is literally 1 question. So don't give up you can get there just focus and get the main idea then run with it!!

p.s I should add that I started with a 7 in aamc 8, got to a 9 in aamc 3, my 11 is from aamc 10(which was last week). I didn't take the aamcs in order but I realized you WILL keep improving as long as you analyze your approach and make conscious efforts to go with whatever method you choose.

looking back, is there a certain order in which you would have taken the AAMC's again or that your would advise to others?

Members don't see this ad :)
looking back, is there a certain order in which you would have taken the AAMC's again or that your would advise to others?

I know you didn't ask me, but this personally worked for me: I did 3-8 in chronological order, and then I did 10,11, and then 9 in that order. I found this to be extremely effective, as 9 was a bit easier than 10 and 11, so it would serve as a confidence boost right before you take your real exam. Additionally, if you mess up 10 and 11, you can still build up confidence with 9.

Doing 10 before 11 eases you into the more conceptual science sections (as I found 10 to be significantly easier than 11), and then doing 11 in the middle, about 1 week or so before your test, gives you a small buffer in case you don't do as well on it.

Reactions: 1 users

Here is my order 8,9,4,3,5,7,10,11 (I also had 6 on paper so I did that but in sections). I also took aamc 11 the week before my test NOT the week of my test because 1. it was SUPER different and i didn't want to psych myself out. 2. because there were a few topics on there that i wanted to review and now I have the chance to do that.

I took the AAMCs out of order just to prove that there is not easier/harder test to myself. Each one had a different set of topics (more similar than different though) and their styles were a bit different(in bio mostly). There will be improvement especially towards the last 3 my scores were +/- 1 point with the exception of verbal which was kind of iffy. The thing is with these exams I learned more about the test in general than topics.. I mean I knew how to calculate pv=nrt or f=ma but the way they ask those questions was what kept me from 11s and 12 in the beginning. I am a HORRIBLE test taker.. I get very anxious and forget things on the spot because of that. But familiarizing myself with the questions made me a lot more comfortable because I knew what I was walking into. I am just praying and hoping the real deal is not significantly different-although I am expecting a higher level of difficulty.

:)

p.s. I just remembered I also did Kaplan tests 1-5.. and here's the deal
1. the PS and BS are out of this world difficult but it REALLY helped with my timing and getting over difficult concepts. I know people have different views on Kaplan but I feel like it gave me the courage I needed to approach new situations with what I already knew

2. The verbal is ONLY good in helping you read hard passages .. the questions are HORRIBLE and not representative of AAMC questions so the main idea approach will not work.

Reactions: 3 users
ZOMG IM BACK GUYZZZ

tumblr_mdgfpehkYN1r8cvzdo1_500.gif

Been trying to avoid this section since my score is coming soon :nailbiting::nailbiting:. Came to check how yall been doing!!

I've been busy with secondaries.. going to submit a few tonight. Besides that I was planning on reading EK chapters this month just in case but I got lazy and it only lasted a week lol I think I honestly forgot everything MCAT related now.

oh and @orangetea I like how you took them out of order.. I think knowing a test is hard beforehand plays a psychological affect. Eliminating that by taking them out of order and telling yourself they basically just test different topics should be good mental preparation for the actual test! btw your scores are looking killer, great improvement:clap:

Reactions: 3 users
ZOMG IM BACK GUYZZZ

Been trying to avoid this section since my score is coming soon :nailbiting::nailbiting:. Came to check how yall been doing!!

I've been busy with secondaries.. going to submit a few tonight. Besides that I was planning on reading EK chapters this month just in case but I got lazy and it only lasted a week lol I think I honestly forgot everything MCAT related now.

oh and @orangetea I like how you took them out of order.. I think knowing a test is hard beforehand plays a psychological affect. Eliminating that by taking them out of order and telling yourself they basically just test different topics should be good mental preparation for the actual test! btw your scores are looking killer, great improvement:clap:

That gif. killed me. ahahahahha

ZOMG IM BACK GUYZZZ

Do you wish you did anything differently now that you've taken the test? In regards to preparation.

Best of luck when you get your score!

Do you wish you did anything differently now that you've taken the test? In regards to preparation.

Best of luck when you get your score!

Thanks man! Well, looking back now when I'm already done, I would've definitely given myself more time. Although I didn't have much of a choice, 2 months wasn't enough to reach my goal (32.. my average was under 31). Reading through this thread a lot of people have been studying since May, which gives them solid time to review content and practice FL's. I also wished I emphasized verbal early on and developed a go-to strategy to use over a longer period of time. Besides that, I loved the TBR books + EK bio.. they really helped me master the content.

Just figured out the cloze feature on Anki. Amazing.
It's great for equations, too!

I will say, though, that I am very glad I did not find Cloze until late in the Anki game. I think that it's such an easy to use, powerful tool that it can easily help you mass-produce crap cards if you haven't figured out how to make tailored, efficient, good Cards yet.

It's great for equations, too!

I will say, though, that I am very glad I did not find Cloze until late in the Anki game. I think that it's such an easy to use, powerful tool that it can easily help you mass-produce crap cards if you haven't figured out how to make tailored, efficient, good Cards yet.
Ya that's definitely true. I just wish I would have known about this earlier in my undergrad. I had tried studyblue before, but that was just lame.
Thanks for your deck as well. I'm still making my own, but it gives me a nice comparison to work with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks man! Well, looking back now when I'm already done, I would've definitely given myself more time. Although I didn't have much of a choice, 2 months wasn't enough to reach my goal (32.. my average was under 31). Reading through this thread a lot of people have been studying since May, which gives them solid time to review content and practice FL's. I also wished I emphasized verbal early on and developed a go-to strategy to use over a longer period of time. Besides that, I loved the TBR books + EK bio.. they really helped me master the content.

Did you take any other FLs other than the AAMC?

At work and scared to check my score guyz.. give me them likes!!

Reactions: 6 users
At work and scared to check my score guyz.. give me them likes!!

no matter what the outcome.. you are going to make an amazing physician.. it was very apparent from the advice you gave me!! best of luck :)

Reactions: 2 users
Got a 30!!! 11/10/9.. section scores decreased as the test went on LOL

Very surprised with VR.. never scored a 10 before lol but same with the low BS. I was very consistent getting 11's. Oh well, the end result is the same so guess it doesn't matter.

Start coming with those new usernames for me haha going to become a SDN sponsor when I get home!

EDIT: thanks again to everyone in this thread.. could not have done it without you guys!!

Very surprised with VR.. never scored a 10 before lol but same with the low BS. I was very consistent getting 11's. Oh well, the end result is the same so guess it doesn't matter.

Start coming with those new usernames for me haha going to become a SDN sponsor when I get home!

EDIT: thanks again to everyone in this thread.. could not have done it without you guys!!
Wait, why the new SDN handle?

A very BIG congratulations and WELL done to you!!

Btw for anyone wondering, here are my AAMC FL scores:

3 12/7/11 30
4 12/8/11 31
5 11/8/11 30
7 12/8/11 31
8 10/7/12 29
11 10/7/11 28
10 11/7/13 31
9 12/9/11 32

Average: 30.25

Actual 11/10/9 30

Pretty much bombed BS lol, but my VR score was a nice surprise. I focused a lot more on PS and VR this time around and happy to see 2 pt improvement in each of those sections. I didn't really neglect BS, but I feel I could've done more passages. Since I was another year out of school, I had trouble memorizing little details for bio. For anyone still studying, I suggest doing TBR bio passages and TPRH if you have it. There was a lot of experimental based questions on my exam so I think they should help.

I know it's just a 30 and doesn't really put me ahead of the crowd, but for studying 2 months (1 month while fasting) I'm really happy with the outcome. Most of the MD schools I applied to have a mcat range 29-33 so this really helps my chances.

Anyways, wish I had more tips to share, but my studying was sort of all over the place since I squeezed SN2ED's schedule in 2 months. Biggest thing for me though was attacking weaknesses right away, instead of waiting for review day or whatever. Make flashcards, draw diagrams, watch videos.. do whatever helps you. Good luck to you guys and let me know if you have any questions!

Btw for anyone wondering, here are my AAMC FL scores:

3 12/7/11 30
4 12/8/11 31
5 11/8/11 30
7 12/8/11 31
8 10/7/12 29
11 10/7/11 28
10 11/7/13 31
9 12/9/11 32

Average: 30.25

Actual 11/10/9 30

Pretty much bombed BS lol, but my VR score was a nice surprise. I focused a lot more on PS and VR this time around and happy to see 2 pt improvement in each of those sections. I didn't really neglect BS, but I feel I could've done more passages. Since I was another year out of school, I had trouble memorizing little details for bio. For anyone still studying, I suggest doing TBR bio passages and TPRH if you have it. There was a lot of experimental based questions on my exam so I think they should help.

I know it's just a 30 and doesn't really put me ahead of the crowd, but for studying 2 months (1 month while fasting) I'm really happy with the outcome. Most of the MD schools I applied to have a mcat range 29-33 so this really helps my chances.

Anyways, wish I had more tips to share, but my studying was sort of all over the place since I squeezed SN2ED's schedule in 2 months. Biggest thing for me though was attacking weaknesses right away, instead of waiting for review day or whatever. Make flashcards, draw diagrams, watch videos.. do whatever helps you. Good luck to you guys and let me know if you have any questions!

would you take the sequence of your AAMCs any differently if you had to do them again?

The Fappening
8/31/14
Never Forget
So, I didn't know what you were referencing at the time, so I didn't catch this, but...your tone is a little hard to gauge from this, so I'm really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but it pretty much seems that you were trying to imply that this leak was a good thing. If that's what you really meant, I have to say that I'm surprised and pretty disappointed.

So, I didn't know what you were referencing at the time, so I didn't catch this, but...your tone is a little hard to gauge from this, so I'm really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but it pretty much seems that you were trying to imply that this leak was a good thing. If that's what you really meant, I have to say that I'm surprised and pretty disappointed.
Neither. Of course its a terrible violation of privacy and I feel bad for those that it happened too.

At the same time though I have a penis. So it's hard for me to 100% denounce it. Maybe 99%

Neither. Of course its a terrible violation of privacy and I feel bad for those that it happened too.

At the same time though I have a penis. So it's hard for me to 100% denounce it. Maybe 99%
Good to hear! Though I do have a vagina, so I'm gonna have to stick with the 1% disappointment to match :p And yes, I am teasing, just a little bit, with that one. Sorry.

This GIF pretty much sums up the reactions to "The Fappening"

DiligentTeemingKillerwhale.gif

This GIF pretty much sums up the reactions to "The Fappening"

DiligentTeemingKillerwhale.gif
Seriously, that is wonderfully relevant.
It's weird...somehow I wouldn't really care if MY pics got out (not that I've got any, mind you), because nobody knows/cares who I am. It's mostly weird to me that they are celebs...I can't even picture that being attractive, because instead of some stranger whose personality I could make up to match, all I could picture is actual people reacting at me, and the reactions aren't good. Would totally ruin it for me.

lol, well, opened myself up for that. But seriously, there are definitely women in the world as hot as, or hotter, than those leaked, so part of the deal has GOT to be that they're celebs...which is exactly which would turn me off. So I guess that's the confusing part to me.
And I'm 24 y/o and have never had a date...pretty sure that tells you all you need to know about whether those photos would be any good.:mask:

lol, well, opened myself up for that. But seriously, there are definitely women in the world as hot as, or hotter, than those leaked, so part of the deal has GOT to be that they're celebs...which is exactly which would turn me off. So I guess that's the confusing part to me.
And I'm 24 y/o and have never had a date...pretty sure that tells you all you need to know about whether those photos would be any good.:mask:

lRl6Cwv.gif

would you take the sequence of your AAMCs any differently if you had to do them again?

If I had to do it again I'll probably go with orangetea's approach and take 3-8 out of order, and then finish up with 11, 10, and 9, in that order. Reason being that I felt the passages and questions in 9-11 required more critical thinking and analyzing compared to 3-8.

Remember you always turn guys down ,, and the ones you dont turn down are too intimidated !

Remember you always turn guys down ,, and the ones you dont turn down are too intimidated !
Yeah sure, I'll keep telling myself that... :laugh:
But really, no, it's not like that. I haven't had a date and I don't plan to, really, unless something spectacular literally falls into my lap. I don't want to have a drink with a random stranger from a bar (or grocery store, or wherever), because the only reason a random stranger from a bar is interested in me is cuz they want to make out. I just wish there was a way to broadcast 'not interested in sleeping with you' without being unfriendly. I LOVE talking to people, hanging out, chatting, making new friends. I just can't stand it when they are interested in other things, mostly because that means the odds are the whole friendly thing is a sham, they're really bored outta their minds, and they'd rather just be hooking up.
I've never had anyone who knew me personally be interested in anything more, and that's the real test*. Maybe someday, as I said, something awesome will land in my lap, but probably not, and no, it's not intimidation.

*not entirely true, but those instances were 'hey, I don't want to date you, but I would totally trade being friends with you for screwing you once or twice', which by the way, is the opposite of 'anything more' and basically says 'your friendship is so meaningless to me that I'd trade it in a heartbeat for one night of sex'.

Yeah sure, I'll keep telling myself that... :laugh:
But really, no, it's not like that. I haven't had a date and I don't plan to, really, unless something spectacular literally falls into my lap. I don't want to have a drink with a random stranger from a bar (or grocery store, or wherever), because the only reason a random stranger from a bar is interested in me is cuz they want to make out. I just wish there was a way to broadcast 'not interested in sleeping with you' without being unfriendly. I LOVE talking to people, hanging out, chatting, making new friends. I just can't stand it when they are interested in other things, mostly because that means the odds are the whole friendly thing is a sham, they're really bored outta their minds, and they'd rather just be hooking up.
I've never had anyone who knew me personally be interested in anything more, and that's the real test*. Maybe someday, as I said, something awesome will land in my lap, but probably not, and no, it's not intimidation.

*not entirely true, but those instances were 'hey, I don't want to date you, but I would totally trade being friends with you for screwing you once or twice', which by the way, is the opposite of 'anything more' and basically says 'your friendship is so meaningless to me that I'd trade it in a heartbeat for one night of sex'.
Keep doing what you're doing (or not doing). Gals like you are few and far between, and believe this old broad when I say that I KNOW it's not because of any physical aspect of you. I'm 27 years old and about to be married next year, and I've only had 2 boyfriends in my life. I'm no supermodel, but this result was certainly not for lack of trying on the part of many men. Whoever you end up with, they'll be all the more worthy of you in the end. Trust me. I've never ever heard a grown woman say that she regretted not having been with more people. Only the opposite, that she wished her encounters had been much fewer, and more meaningful. But of course I don't need to tell you any of this, you already know it.

In other news, it's less than 7 weeks to my MCAT date. I'm not quite done with content review, but I bought the AAMC SAs tonight and will start them tomorrow. For a pathological perfectionist who wanted to study everything completely (never possible with my schedule anyway) before cracking open any AAMC materials, this is terrifying. I will just blitz through as many passages as possible everyday from now until the test, filling in content gaps, finishing my TBR passages, and eventually doing practice on the weak points. Of course I will schedule the AAMC FLs in between. Eek!

In other news, it's less than 7 weeks to my MCAT date. I'm not quite done with content review, but I bought the AAMC SAs tonight and will start them tomorrow. For a pathological perfectionist who wanted to study everything completely (never possible with my schedule anyway) before cracking open any AAMC materials, this is terrifying. I will just blitz through as many passages as possible everyday from now until the test, filling in content gaps, finishing my TBR passages, and eventually doing practice on the weak points. Of course I will schedule the AAMC FLs in between. Eek!

I here you, girl. Pathological perfectionists unite! It truly is terrifying. I figured I'm going to have to condense the rest of my content review into four chapters a week before I hit my month of AAMC FLs. I however, do have the luxury of devoting full time to the mcat, but even 10hrs a day seems like it's not enough.