Snack WWars (sign up thread)

Started by kaydubs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It’s all good. I was just telling Pop that someone needed to start a horror chatter thread somewhere
this is correct and true. we have a book and game thread…where are all my fellow horror lovers at

Vanish GIF
 
but the performance itself was beautiful! and lady gaga looked so beautiful
It was cool! I don't know his music well but the show was cinematically pretty cool and the message was nice in our current climate

i didn't have access to the channels, but i saw clips on instagram. it's the comments on some of those videos that made me start to spiral :c
Tbh a lot (like a LOT) of the discourse on this and similar topics (immigration, ice, etc) is manufactured. Like straight up bots hashing the same 5 talking points hundreds of times. Awful people are out there but not to the extent that the online algorithms would have you believe.
 
Tbh a lot (like a LOT) of the discourse on this and similar topics (immigration, ice, etc) is manufactured. Like straight up bots hashing the same 5 talking points hundreds of times. Awful people are out there but not to the extent that the online algorithms would have you believe.
Man this makes me glad SDN is my main “social media”
 
Tbh a lot (like a LOT) of the discourse on this and similar topics (immigration, ice, etc) is manufactured. Like straight up bots hashing the same 5 talking points hundreds of times. Awful people are out there but not to the extent that the online algorithms would have you believe.
i know..it's got many many layers that i dont think this is the right place for it lol

Same ngl. I deleted all the video apps before finals last semester and haven't felt the need to bring them back.
i deleted tiktok bc of the new TOS, but i kept instagram bc of my vet-sta-gram. i've spent majority of my time on that account bc the algorithm doesnt push anything besides animal content. but on my personal? thats where i see all the doom and gloom ughh
 
Tbh a lot (like a LOT) of the discourse on this and similar topics (immigration, ice, etc) is manufactured. Like straight up bots hashing the same 5 talking points hundreds of times. Awful people are out there but not to the extent that the online algorithms would have you believe.

Man this makes me glad SDN is my main “social media”
The Minnesota based subreddits are rife with bots right now it’s insane. Even just trying to read comments on normal posts/things unrelated to *angry gestures* is near impossible. All social media in general has been really hard. I’m getting very close to deleting it, which sucks, because I do keep in touch with some people through it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tbh a lot (like a LOT) of the discourse on this and similar topics (immigration, ice, etc) is manufactured. Like straight up bots hashing the same 5 talking points hundreds of times. Awful people are out there but not to the extent that the online algorithms would have you believe.
100000 times this. Don't let the bastards bots get you down. I recommend just not reading comments - even more than I did before the rise of the bots. Most platforms don't have a great way to confirm the comments are coming from real humans.
 
Agree with all of this. I actually started a “social media detox” this year and deleted everything except my Instagram. I set the limit for 5 minutes on my phone which gives me just enough time each day to scroll through friend stories, reply to a message or two, and maybe doomscroll a couple reels before it kicks me out. You can override it fairly easily but it helps me pause and go hmmm do I really want to willingly jump back into that?

Doing that (and deleting everything else) did wonders for my mental health. Reddit was the biggest culprit of my irritability tbh because I’m one of those social media users that, despite their best efforts, somehow always ends up getting into some sort of argument/flame war because I cannot keep my opinions to myself. It got tiring always engaging in discussions where the other person didn't want to be open to new ideas and just wanted to be combative.
 
i need to do that too. i have a horrible addiction to my phone. i clock in 13 hours of screentime every single day. it’s horrendous.

i’ve noticed my grammar is poor, and i can’t form proper sentences. i type and write as if i was speaking, which is just..horrible. tbh i have to many piss poor habits that i need to snap out of it from before the fall. i have terribly vicious self sabotage tendencies. and i say this eeevery time i realize i’ve hit a new low, and then i try to change everything overnight, get overwhelmed and stressed and the cycle repeats.

hahahahaha 🙃
 
Agree with all of this. I actually started a “social media detox” this year and deleted everything except my Instagram. I set the limit for 5 minutes on my phone which gives me just enough time each day to scroll through friend stories, reply to a message or two, and maybe doomscroll a couple reels before it kicks me out. You can override it fairly easily but it helps me pause and go hmmm do I really want to willingly jump back into that?

Doing that (and deleting everything else) did wonders for my mental health. Reddit was the biggest culprit of my irritability tbh because I’m one of those social media users that, despite their best efforts, somehow always ends up getting into some sort of argument/flame war because I cannot keep my opinions to myself. It got tiring always engaging in discussions where the other person didn't want to be open to new ideas and just wanted to be combative.
I've just decided that people don't go on social media looking to change their own minds, but rather to confirm the opinions they already hold. This is before even considering whether the people you're interacting with are even real, as noted above.

It's incredibly toxic and unproductive, and if you really want to have a rational conversation about differing viewpoints you kind of have to do it in person with people you can trust to debate in good faith.
 
I've just decided that people don't go on social media looking to change their own minds, but rather to confirm the opinions they already hold. This is before even considering whether the people you're interacting with are even real, as noted above.

It's incredibly toxic and unproductive, and if you really want to have a rational conversation about differing viewpoints you kind of have to do it in person with people you can trust to debate in good faith.
Agree with all of this. I actually started a “social media detox” this year and deleted everything except my Instagram. I set the limit for 5 minutes on my phone which gives me just enough time each day to scroll through friend stories, reply to a message or two, and maybe doomscroll a couple reels before it kicks me out. You can override it fairly easily but it helps me pause and go hmmm do I really want to willingly jump back into that?

Doing that (and deleting everything else) did wonders for my mental health. Reddit was the biggest culprit of my irritability tbh because I’m one of those social media users that, despite their best efforts, somehow always ends up getting into some sort of argument/flame war because I cannot keep my opinions to myself. It got tiring always engaging in discussions where the other person didn't want to be open to new ideas and just wanted to be combative.
I’ve been really struggling with even trying to change people’s minds. I know it’s important to talk to people with other beliefs, both for their exposure and to keep confirmation bias from happening, but everything feels so divisive right now. I’m exhausted sometimes even talking to the people with the same beliefs as me.
 
i need to do that too. i have a horrible addiction to my phone. i clock in 13 hours of screentime every single day. it’s horrendous.

i’ve noticed my grammar is poor, and i can’t form proper sentences. i type and write as if i was speaking, which is just..horrible. tbh i have to many piss poor habits that i need to snap out of it from before the fall. i have terribly vicious self sabotage tendencies. and i say this eeevery time i realize i’ve hit a new low, and then i try to change everything overnight, get overwhelmed and stressed and the cycle repeats.

hahahahaha 🙃
Honestly, I changed very little about my social media habits (averaging 7 hours per day these days), but starting reading more. My writing and my speaking abilities instantly felt more productive and easier. I think instead of trying to cold turkey cut social media, starting with just replacing even 30 minutes of doomscrolling with reading would help. I’ve found once I start reading, I often spend way more time doing that than scrolling.
 
Honestly, I changed very little about my social media habits (averaging 7 hours per day these days), but starting reading more. My writing and my speaking abilities instantly felt more productive and easier. I think instead of trying to cold turkey cut social media, starting with just replacing even 30 minutes of doomscrolling with reading would help. I’ve found once I start reading, I often spend way more time doing that than scrolling.
very good idea! thanks rae
 
i need to do that too. i have a horrible addiction to my phone. i clock in 13 hours of screentime every single day. it’s horrendous.

i’ve noticed my grammar is poor, and i can’t form proper sentences. i type and write as if i was speaking, which is just..horrible. tbh i have to many piss poor habits that i need to snap out of it from before the fall. i have terribly vicious self sabotage tendencies. and i say this eeevery time i realize i’ve hit a new low, and then i try to change everything overnight, get overwhelmed and stressed and the cycle repeats.

hahahahaha 🙃
Girl I feel you on this SO MUCH. I've been in a depressed funk these past couple months and there is a nonzero correlation between my mood, my chronic online-ness, my doomscrolling. The thing that pisses me off is that I know better, and I know what I should do to get out of my funk, and I know I have the capability to execute that.... there's just this huge amount of activation energy needed to make those habits stick. And like you, I tend to do the "tomorrow I will be a changed man (tm)" thing, show up guns blazing, and have an amazing week where I follow my meal plan/workout plan/sleep schedule/get my Anki down to 0 cards...... and then crash after a week bc I tried to change everything at once and that's a lot for one (1) little chic to handle.

I wish I had solutions for you but alas, I do not. Just wanted to give you a hug and commiserate as we chill in this pit together. One day at a time, one small step at a time.

How is your internship going? I don't want to make assumptions but if you relocated for it I could imagine the physical/social isolation could also be a contributing factor to *waves hands wildly* all this.

I’ve been really struggling with even trying to change people’s minds. I know it’s important to talk to people with other beliefs, both for their exposure and to keep confirmation bias from happening, but everything feels so divisive right now. I’m exhausted sometimes even talking to the people with the same beliefs as me.
Yes, I feel this so much. It just feels exhausting. And even with people who technically should be "playing for the same team", I feel like the sociopolitical vibe of the world right now leads to passive (or active tbh) infighting. The (human) med world is a mess right now. Not that it wasn't before, but with healthcare being so central to a lot of this current government's actions, there is a lot of splintering in our field and it both hurts to see and makes me exhausted to engage in. Great idea though on trying to replace socmed with reading - I was an absolute bookworm as a kiddo and as an adult I barely get through 2 books a year. I have 10 on my "currently reading" list which really means "started the first chapter and then stopped reading for the past 2 years" so I need to get back on that.
 
I was an absolute bookworm as a kiddo and as an adult I barely get through 2 books a year. I have 10 on my "currently reading" list which really means "started the first chapter and then stopped reading for the past 2 years" so I need to get back on that.
Mega mood. Last year I read 15 books after reading maybe one book a year since college. I haven't gotten as into it this year but second semester second year is rough so I'm giving myself a bit of a pass.
 
How is your internship going? I don't want to make assumptions but if you relocated for it I could imagine the physical/social isolation could also be a contributing factor to *waves hands wildly* all this.
glad to know im not alone, but im sorry to hear there's someone else who feels these intense feelings too :c we will get through it. one day at a time. my goal is to lose ~50lbs before my coating ceremony in august, so i have one goal to keep track of until then. hopefully i can start building better habits, slowly but surely. i liked rae's idea of replacing 30 min of doomscrolling with 30 min of reading! i think i will try that out tonight!! would you like to as well and we can check in tomorrow?

my internship is just now picking up speed! it is virtual for the most part, i do alot of independent work for now. when i gather all my data and start to put together my informational packets, i will start doing some more in person work.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DUDE. Season 1 was fairly believable but 8 minutes in to s2e1 and my fourth wall has been broken there's not a SINGLE med student or resident who would miss freaking TORSADES on EKG omg
Med students are smarter than me, noted
 
@WildZoo
You've said my supersoldier trigger word of sharks, I MUST know everything you are comfortable telling me
 
@WildZoo
You've said my supersoldier trigger word of sharks, I MUST know everything you are comfortable telling me
I'd say the fun thing with sharks is that some of them (ram ventilators, which includes most of the pelagic species) can't oxygenate without water actively flowing over their gills as they swim, so we had a recirculating setup with the anesthetic water while we had her out of the tank, and then continued to use that with anesthetic-free water during recovery until she was back to swimming on her own. The spooky period is when they get the initial excitatory phase from the anesthetic but aren't oxygenating as well, before they are asleep enough to be handled. So they can very quickly become acidotic from anaerobic respiration.

Everything went really smoothly with this one though!!
 
I'd say the fun thing with sharks is that some of them (ram ventilators, which includes most of the pelagic species) can't oxygenate without water actively flowing over their gills as they swim, so we had a recirculating setup with the anesthetic water while we had her out of the tank, and then continued to use that with anesthetic-free water during recovery until she was back to swimming on her own. The spooky period is when they get the initial excitatory phase from the anesthetic but aren't oxygenating as well, before they are asleep enough to be handled. So they can very quickly become acidotic from anaerobic respiration.

Everything went really smoothly with this one though!!
What were you working on?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd say the fun thing with sharks is that some of them (ram ventilators, which includes most of the pelagic species) can't oxygenate without water actively flowing over their gills as they swim, so we had a recirculating setup with the anesthetic water while we had her out of the tank, and then continued to use that with anesthetic-free water during recovery until she was back to swimming on her own. The spooky period is when they get the initial excitatory phase from the anesthetic but aren't oxygenating as well, before they are asleep enough to be handled. So they can very quickly become acidotic from anaerobic respiration.

Everything went really smoothly with this one though!!
Ok I gotta know how did you go about getting aquatic/shark experience? Post school internships? Thats so cool you get to work with them! A good friend of mine is a maintenance diver at GA aquarium and loves diving with the sharks lol
 
Ok I gotta know how did you go about getting aquatic/shark experience? Post school internships? Thats so cool you get to work with them! A good friend of mine is a maintenance diver at GA aquarium and loves diving with the sharks lol
I'm a zoo resident! I had some fish experience from externships during school and my specialty internship but no shark experience prior to residency.