Snake bite... Cat versus dog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nexx

2 weeks and counting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So just finished giving a presentation today on the physiologic effects of snake venom (Western Tiger Snake) and was asked a question I could only partially hypothesize and answer to, just wanted to pick some brains.

One of my classmates asked why cats have a slower reaction time to venom than dogs. None of our group research had indicated any slower onset to symptoms based on species. I have a feeling her question was based on anecdotal evidence seen in practice and I haven't been able to find anything on google (scholar or web) or on VIN.

My response to her was that it was a possibility that since cats have pretty fast reflexes they might be able to avoid a direct bite, thereby getting less venom. Anyhow that was my off the cuff response and our teacher didn't seem to respond one way or the other. Didn't know if the collective here might be able to shed some light on this though.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a lecture by Dr. Michael Peterson this past quarter, who wrote Small Animal Toxicology textbook and specializes in snake bites, originally being from Tucson. Anyway, here's what I got from him. It may or may not answer your question, but just thought I'd put my 2 cents. Cats are "hardier" when it comes to snakebites. They tend to instigate snakes, get bit, then run away and hide. So that when they finally are found and brought into a clinic, they look like crap because they waited so long and the venom had a lot of time to do its damage. Dogs on the other hand get bit, and run to their owner right away, then get taken to a clinic right away. This way they're treated sooner and clinical signs haven't progressed as much as they did in a cat. Sooo...why do cats seem to have a slower onset? Maybe it just has to do with the time interval when they're bit and when we see them...
I don't know just thought I'd add this to conjure up some ideas.