Sneezing during surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkraven

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just kind of randomly popped in my head, but what happens if a surgeon has to sneeze while operating?

Members don't see this ad.

When you need to sneeze, do it properly. If you can (i.e. you aren't holding a retractor or suctioning) take a step or two back from the table. Don't turn your head, instead sneeze straight at the table. The reason you do this is because the mask allows particles to escape out the sides, so you don't want to turn to the side and spray particles out the side onto the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you need to sneeze, do it properly. If you can (i.e. you aren't holding a retractor or suctioning) take a step or two back from the table. Don't turn your head, instead sneeze straight at the table. The reason you do this is because the mask allows particles to escape out the sides, so you don't want to turn to the side and spray particles out the side onto the field.
Yeah, this works. Apparently there's debate about whether or not you should face directly away or directly towards, but if you step back and face the table, it should be fine.

Yeah, this works. Apparently there's debate about whether or not you should face directly away or directly towards, but if you step back and face the table, it should be fine.

I was taught to never turn my back on the field unless doing a pass-by with someone else, so I always face the table.

Also give warning to your team if possible prior to doing it so they don't think you're passing out.