SNF PMR docs thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is actually good for PMR SNF docs. I have worked in facilities where they billed the highest level on the patient for the longest amount of time. Typically until the benefits ran out. I decided to leave after my recommendations to discharge the patient were met with scorn. The facilities I work in now specifically asked me to expedite discharge and I do what I can to optimize the rehab. We work with ACO's and bundled plans to get patients home as soon as possible. As Physiatrist we are trained to diagnose and discuss prognosis during the early stages of rehab so having us as part of the team can avoid these hefty fines.

A lack of PM&R physicians in SNF's is not the problem with regard to length of stay or quality of rehabilitation IMO. In my experience physicians in hospitals, SNF's and inpatient acute centers are incompetent in making independent D/C's when it comes to rehab concerns. Powerless PT's, OT's and SLP's is the problem. Take away "executive directors" and "clinic directors" who have nothing but conflict of interest out of the equation and the problem is largely solved. I've worked in ~ 10 SNF's as a traveler/contract or per diem and they're all a joke. Not one exists where the "therapist" is legitimately in charge of the "therapy", the "DOR" (who get the job under understandings how the job will be done) and everyone but them is. It's about cause and effect, not magic.