So Cal folks, where do you take your pre req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gratitude2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I've been calling several Cal State regarding the 2nd BA/BS. They give me the same answer: due to budget cut in CA, all the Cal State school is not offering 2nd BA/BS anymore. :(

So my question is : besides the expensive formal post-bac programs, what other options do we have to full fill our pre reqs? UC extension, Cal State open university, and community colleges?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I take mine at Mt. SAC with PLENTY of other premeds, traditional an non-traditional like me. I'm just taking the sciences and have taken 5 at Mt. SAC and the others at 2 other CC's and I've found the quality of the professors at Mt. SAC is top notch and just as good as the professors at my undergrad UC. A lot of students get into med schools from Mt. SAC so I think it's a bit more recognized among adcoms vs other CC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Bean counter,

Where is Mt SAC? is it in so cal?

thanks

Yes it's in Walnut. I'm not sure where you are but it is probably 25-30 minutes East of LA in the Covina area. I actually recently found it that it's the biggest CC in the nation. They have a strong nursing program so their Anatomy class actually uses cadavers rather than cats and sheep like most. Good professors and a good pre-med club that holds lots of events.

Hello!

I've been calling several Cal State regarding the 2nd BA/BS. They give me the same answer: due to budget cut in CA, all the Cal State school is not offering 2nd BA/BS anymore. :(

So my question is : besides the expensive formal post-bac programs, what other options do we have to full fill our pre reqs? UC extension, Cal State open university, and community colleges?

Thanks!

Man I feel bad for the people in your shoes. I got in as a 2nd bachelors at a CSU literally weeks before this whole budget crisis happened a few years back.

Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of equally affordable/effective choices, as most of the options only open up after you are an official student. Of the choices you listed, in order of cost it goes UC>CSU>CC. However, only CC's gives you priority class enrollment, which can make all the difference in the world at busier schools. Community colleges will give you the prereqs, but there has been debate on how med schools will view these classes. CC's also don't give you a lot of the upper-div courses that you can use to boost your resume.

One thing you can do is apply for a MS program at a CSU. If you don't meet the requirements for, say, Biology, you can apply to a Masters in whatever given field you studied in ugrad. You just need to get your foot in the door first and foremost. Once you're in, depending on how lenient your department heads are, you could be free to take undergrad courses at your liking, since you would be a registered student.

An important benefit is that it comes with, such as priority enrollment, unsubsidized loans, healthcare, etc. Another door that opens up are the concurrent enrollment and cross enrollment systems, which allow you to take simultaneously take courses at another CSU or a UC, respectively. These options are very convenient if classes at your home campus are full, for scheduling conflicts, or if you just want to take additional classes.

That's about it off the top of my head. Otherwise, it's the official career-changer post-bacc programs. Those are expensive, but get the job done.

Thanks Bean Counter! I'm in the South Bay area.
That anatomy class sounds awesome!!!! Thanks for the info.
Dbizzy: thanks for the tips...Yup, you haved nailed my concern in your reply about cc et al :). I thought about the Master route, but I just want to focus on the pre-reqs , I don't want to take the Masters classes AND pre reqs ... i might spread myself too thin.... and not doing well in either one... Thanks so much for the feedback. !

I did a lot of research before I started taking my pre-reqs and while yes it does make you a slightly more attractive applicant when you have taken your pre-reqs at a State or UC school, there are other factors that come into play that adcoms understand. One thing that I began to realize the more posts I read on SDN and the more professors I spoke with on campus which was encouraging is that med-school adcoms are not robots. They will not look at your app and automatically throw it away if you took pre-reqs at a CC, they look at the entire picture. They understand the difference between a traditional med-school route and a non-trad route.

There are so many factors that affect a non-trad that don't affect traditional undergrads the same including cost, work schedule, and distance to classes. When I was an undergrad I had lots of grants, didn't work, and rode my bike to class. Now I work with no grants and drive 25 miles each way to class. Two semesters ago I was taking classes at 3 different campuses in order to fit classes in with work. It is HARD now days to get the classes that you need when you need them. I think what is more important than WHERE you get your grades from is WHAT your grades are. I can assure you a 4.0 sGPA from a CC is at least as good as a 3.0 sGPA at a state school.

If I had wanted to stick it out and start taking classes at a state school I would have had to apply and get accepted, had to travel farther than I already am, and have the LOWEST priority for classes meaning no guarantees I would get the classes I need. This would have delayed my application process a very long time and put me into more debt. I decided to forgo that process and start taking classes right away at local CC's and it is about to pay off (I hope!). All A's with 1 more class to go (Orgo II) which I'm in right now and I take the MCAT in May so I can apply this year, literally less than 2 years after I stepped foot into my first science class.

No worries. What I meant was "officially" be a masters student, but in actuality take nothing but the classes you want to take. Obviously that depends on the department, but it's pretty much what I did with my 2nd BS, and that's what someone at my school is doing with their MS. Plenty of ways to work the system.

Nothing wrong with the CC route. I'm sure lots of those kids do get accepted into professional schools.

Bean Counter: your explaination makes a lot of sense! I can totally relate to you about working full time while trying to fit classes in the busy schedule. It is not fun at all. Congrats on your As! Good job! And you did it within 2 years!! amazing! keep us posted on your progess! - I personally agree that adcoms do look at the whole package of the applicants to make decision. I know two people who got into med school who solely did their pre-reqs at Santa Monica community college. However, their undegrad degree were Electrical Engineer and Computer Science. Therefore, I *think* those nontraditional applicants who majored in a rigorous undegrad major have more advantage compare to nontraditional major in liberal arts...such like myself to prove we can handle med school.
Best wishes to you! I know you will rock that MCAT!!!

Dbizzy: I have so much to learn! may I ask which Cal state that you did your 2nd bachelor at?

I'm taking classes at a CSU through their open U program. It's expensive and crashing classes is stressful, but there is a large nontrad community here and the premed advising office works very closely with us so it's been a good experience thus far.

Last edited:
I forget the name, but there's a place in so.cal where you can get all your prerequisites done in like 9 or 10 months. They teach each class in 2 months. It's an insanely fast pace, but you get done and don't have problems with registration priority.

Triagepremed: less than s yr? Thats crazy! I think i'd like to learn the materials in depth..n it would take longer than that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Triagepremed: less than s yr? Thats crazy! I think i'd like to learn the materials in depth..n it would take longer than that!
It is in depth. They structure it like successive summer sessions. You have to be really committed to do their program.

It is in depth. They structure it like successive summer sessions. You have to be really committed to do their program.

I'm very interested in this and was wondering if you happen to remember the name, or anything else about the program?

i did it at CSU as well.

You can enroll as a masters degree student, and just.. don't do the course work for the masters degree. I met a girl who was doing that.
Man I feel bad for the people in your shoes. I got in as a 2nd bachelors at a CSU literally weeks before this whole budget crisis happened a few years back.

Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of equally affordable/effective choices, as most of the options only open up after you are an official student. Of the choices you listed, in order of cost it goes UC>CSU>CC. However, only CC's gives you priority class enrollment, which can make all the difference in the world at busier schools. Community colleges will give you the prereqs, but there has been debate on how med schools will view these classes. CC's also don't give you a lot of the upper-div courses that you can use to boost your resume.

One thing you can do is apply for a MS program at a CSU. If you don't meet the requirements for, say, Biology, you can apply to a Masters in whatever given field you studied in ugrad. You just need to get your foot in the door first and foremost. Once you're in, depending on how lenient your department heads are, you could be free to take undergrad courses at your liking, since you would be a registered student.

An important benefit is that it comes with, such as priority enrollment, unsubsidized loans, healthcare, etc. Another door that opens up are the concurrent enrollment and cross enrollment systems, which allow you to take simultaneously take courses at another CSU or a UC, respectively. These options are very convenient if classes at your home campus are full, for scheduling conflicts, or if you just want to take additional classes.

That's about it off the top of my head. Otherwise, it's the official career-changer post-bacc programs. Those are expensive, but get the job done.

i did it at CSU as well.

You can enroll as a masters degree student, and just.. don't do the course work for the masters degree. I met a girl who was doing that.

Alos, Mt. Sac is a super good school

Thank you everyone for your inputs! Have a nice weekend! Hope it won't rain! Yikes!

How long does it take to do pre-reqs at a CC like mt sac? I need to take the biology track/physics track, and ochem track so basically 9 quarter classes(6 semester classes) my only concern is about actually getting into the classes, seems so impacted.

How long does it take to do pre-reqs at a CC like mt sac? I need to take the biology track/physics track, and ochem track so basically 9 quarter classes(6 semester classes) my only concern is about actually getting into the classes, seems so impacted.

Enroll in the honors program - priority registration (this is many years ago, you can call the offce and ask if this is still true)
I started going to Mt. Sac at 15 while still in high school, and I just applied to the honors program, and had first time registration date since then