So can MD-only schools see that I applied MSTP elsewhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pazan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was filling out the AMCAS and noticed there was a separate MD/PhD essay (I expected this in the secondaries). It got me thinking, does every school where I submit the primary see the MD/PhD essay or at least know I completed it?

I'm applying MD-only to some schools that have MSTP, so I don't want to put myself at a disadvantage by sending mixed signals.

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same question....called amcas to ask, and only the schools you're applying MD/PhD can see the MD/PhD and research essays.

I was filling out the AMCAS and noticed there was a separate MD/PhD essay (I expected this in the secondaries). It got me thinking, does every school where I submit the primary see the MD/PhD essay or at least know I completed it?

I'm applying MD-only to some schools that have MSTP, so I don't want to put myself at a disadvantage by sending mixed signals.

Although schools that you are applying md only do not see your md/phd essays, they do know that you are applying to other mstp programs. They know all the schools that you apply to through amcas and in fact often from what I have heard the admissions committees do talk to each other from different schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although schools that you are applying md only do not see your md/phd essays, they do know that you are applying to other mstp programs. They know all the schools that you apply to through amcas and in fact often from what I have heard the admissions committees do talk to each other from different schools.

This was most emphatically NOT my experience applying this past season. Straight-MD schools never once brought up my MD/PhD application to other places, so I assume they didn't know. MD/PhD programs did not give me any flack for applying straight-MD, so I also assume they didn't know (although this could be due to being non-lab-based, where it's much less likely to have lots of other MD/PhD programs to apply to).

--Ari

I had an admissions director of a school I applied to MD-only say to me, "Congratulations on your MD/PhD acceptance, you have some difficult decisions to make."

Once accepted, they definitely see where else you got in and whether or not you were accepted MD or MD/PhD.

Once accepted, they definitely see where else you got in and whether or not you were accepted MD or MD/PhD.

Definitely true, but once accepted, why do you care? :)

Ari

This was most emphatically NOT my experience applying this past season. Straight-MD schools never once brought up my MD/PhD application to other places, so I assume they didn't know. MD/PhD programs did not give me any flack for applying straight-MD, so I also assume they didn't know (although this could be due to being non-lab-based, where it's much less likely to have lots of other MD/PhD programs to apply to).

--Ari

That's really good to hear, thanks Ari. I was a little worried about that myself.

I would still say though (correct me if I am wrong) that schools know where you apply as long as you go through amcas. The thing I have been told is that because of this fact you need to make sure you are consistent in what you say to schools.

Z

MD/PhD programs did not give me any flack for applying straight-MD, so I also assume they didn't know (although this could be due to being non-lab-based, where it's much less likely to have lots of other MD/PhD programs to apply to).

I was asked several times in MD/PhD interviews whether I was applying MD only at any schools. Not every school asked. But one interviewer even asked if I thought I could be successful in my career goals if I only got in MD-only somewhere. I think it's a good question to ask yourself in the process to determine your goals. Chances are you'll run into at least 1 or 2 interviewers who will press you on this if you apply to both MD/PhD and MD-only.

I would still say though (correct me if I am wrong) that schools know where you apply as long as you go through amcas.

Nope. They only know where you apply AFTER you are accepted.

Now sirrileydog's point is also valid, that they can ask you whether you're applying MD-only, etc. Come to think of it, I vaguely remember being asked at a straight-MD interview early in the season why I hadn't considered MD/PhD. The opposite didn't seem to be a concern in the three MD/PhD interviews I went to. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just have a darned good answer if it comes up.

--Ari

I've seen this issue a lot, and I've never understood it. WHY? why are you applying to MD at some schools, MD/PhD at others? Just curious.

I've seen this issue a lot, and I've never understood it. WHY? why are you applying to MD at some schools, MD/PhD at others? Just curious.

In my case it was because I was geographically constrained and there were perhaps 10 schools in the whole country offering MudPhuds in what I wanted to do. Since you can get into MD/PhD programs internally as an MD student but not really as a PhD candidate, I applied MD.

Ari

That's really good to hear, thanks Ari. I was a little worried about that myself.

I would still say though (correct me if I am wrong) that schools know where you apply as long as you go through amcas. The thing I have been told is that because of this fact you need to make sure you are consistent in what you say to schools.

Z

OK, you're wrong! In fact, you're wronger than the dress Aunt Edna wore to my wedding. You're wronger than Dubya was about Iraq. Whoever told you this stuff does not know what they are talking about, and you should probably disregard any other "facts" they have been so kind to share with you.

OK, you're wrong! In fact, you're wronger than the dress Aunt Edna wore to my wedding. You're wronger than Dubya was about Iraq. Whoever told you this stuff does not know what they are talking about, and you should probably disregard any other "facts" they have been so kind to share with you.

Haha, point noted. thanks.

I am not clear about whether the OP did this, but if you apply to both MD and MD/PhD programs at the *same* school, both programs will probably know that you applied to the other. At my school, the MD-only program definitely knows if you also applied MD/PhD *at this school*. Maybe that is the source of czarrar's confusion. :)

I've worked for an MSTP ad com member at my school and talked about those issues. He's of the mindset that the time is roughly equivalent... the amount of work/time an MD puts in to show they can handle and compete in basic science before getting an academic position cancels out any time lost by the MD/PhD. He's pushing me in the MSTP direction, but doesn't think it will make or break me. For now, it's just a matter of fit. He's told me which programs are run well and which are so-so, and he said I could get enough lab work in as an MD-only during the med school summers to indicate potential in science... if I work my ass off. He was also blunt in saying that it could hurt my chances to apply MD/PhD to a school because my stats aren't mind-boggling like other MSTP applicants (3.5/35T). And there are a lot of schools in CA (resident) I want to go to with good research opportunities for med students, that I'm pretty sure I couldn't get into as an MSTP.

I don't need the 3 extra letters by my name... I know what I want to do with my life and there are 2 different paths to get there; it doesn't matter which one I take.

And, in case you're curious, he didn't know if the MD ad com could see that an applicant applied to MD/PhD programs elsewhere.