So Confused! Please advise!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When applying via ERAS can I just release my Step 1 and CS score without releasing step 2? There are two questions in the application: which one do I click "NO" for?

Yes
No Do you authorize the ECFMG to transmit your USMLE transcript, which will include a complete history of your Step 1, Step 2CK, Step 2CS and Step 3 results at the time your request is processed and, if applicable, the release of your NBME passing Part scores?

Yes
No Do you authorize the automatic retransmission of your USMLE transcript if Step results, which were not available at the time your request was processed, become available during the current ERAS cycle?

Thank you very much. :)

Members don't see this ad.

ERAS release all scores for Step exams you HAVE ALREADY TAKEN. For example, if you have taken steps I, IICK, and IICS it will automatically release all three. If you have only taken Step I and CS then clicking the first option YES and the second option NO will release the two you have taken and NOT automatically release CK when you do take it. If you select YES to both it will automatically transmit all step exams you have taken and ones you take in the future.
It is not possible to release only certain scores you have already recieved.

ERAS release all scores for Step exams you HAVE ALREADY TAKEN. For example, if you have taken steps I, IICK, and IICS it will automatically release all three. If you have only taken Step I and CS then clicking the first option YES and the second option NO will release the two you have taken and NOT automatically release CK when you do take it. If you select YES to both it will automatically transmit all step exams you have taken and ones you take in the future.
It is not possible to release only certain scores you have already recieved.

Thank you for clearing this up. So if someone failed step 2 and is taking it again within the next two months- there is no way to only release the passing step 1 and cs scores and not the failing step 2 score. Right?

Nope, they will release the failing score as well. After passing it, they will re-release the passing score, but the failing one will still be out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've already submitted by ERAS and have not taken Step 2. When I do, will I have to pay another $50 to release the scores since I told ERAS not to automatically release my scores?

I've already submitted by ERAS and have not taken Step 2. When I do, will I have to pay another $50 to release the scores since I told ERAS not to automatically release my scores?

no, you only have to pay that $50 fee once. after you've paid that once, all future retransmissions to new programs you apply to or the release of new usmle scores are covered and are done at no further charge.