So Does This Effectively Sum Up Everyone's Interview Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Second of all, I have been to other metro areas that refer to their city as "the city". I grew up outside of NYC so to me, NYC is "the city". But to people in South Jersey, Philly is "the city".

No, there is definitely a difference between the way NYCers view/talk about "The City" and the way anyone in another metropolitan area views their city. FWIW, I lived in Philly for several years and never encountered the type of attitude I described.

Anyway, sorry to derail what was a good thread.

Members don't see this ad.

The part about 2nd and 3rd looks is just hillarious.
I guess there is something true about that. I was at this interview that the PD said that we always welcomed for a second look but it doesnt affect their ranking as they consider it unfair. However on my way out a resident told me that...they do consider second looks in ranking and that was decisive in getting him a prematch some years ago. Any take on this? Apart from clearing my own doubts on a 2nd look...does 2nd look affect ranking?

Maybe is the honest answer. Depends on the program and how the 2nd look goes. Just too many variables to give a straight up yes/no answer.

The part about 2nd and 3rd looks is just hillarious.
I guess there is something true about that. I was at this interview that the PD said that we always welcomed for a second look but it doesnt affect their ranking as they consider it unfair. However on my way out a resident told me that...they do consider second looks in ranking and that was decisive in getting him a prematch some years ago. Any take on this? Apart from clearing my own doubts on a 2nd look...does 2nd look affect ranking?

i bought a house going into residency in a nice part of a midwestern city. doubt folks are doing that on the coasts. am doing my fellowship back on the east coast and darn near every day i miss the midwestern lifestyle. just do not understand why folks are willing to sacrifice so much just be to near I-95 or I-5. can't wait to get back to "flyover country" next year where money goes so much further, a long commute is 20 minutes, and people are generally nicer.

Beaches
Mountains
Nightlife
Ethnic Diversity
Weather

It's not hard to figure out. You can make a list for flyover country just as easily (affordable, less traffic, etc.) it just matters what's important to you.

And the sacrifices really aren't that big. As long as you make enough money to live comfortably where you live is going to be a bigger factor on your happiness than your salary. Also you are unlikely to be a good resident at a top program if you absolutely can't stand where you are living.

People can make the reverse argument that you are sacrificing a lot just to have a bigger house and less traffic.

Let's get this thread back on track...

To make the last few interviews interesting, I did a "phenomenal" count, how many times someone says something is phenomenal.

Everywhere I've gone so far, the facilities are phenomenal, the attendings are phenomenal, the didactics, the skills lab, the cafeteria, the weather, the patient population, the bathrooms (not really), literally EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE IS PHENOMENAL!!!!1!!

I plan to figure the phenomenal count into my ranking decision.

Just kidding.

Let's get this thread back on track...

To make the last few interviews interesting, I did a "phenomenal" count, how many times someone says something is phenomenal.

Everywhere I've gone so far, the facilities are phenomenal, the attendings are phenomenal, the didactics, the skills lab, the cafeteria, the weather, the patient population, the bathrooms (not really), literally EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE IS PHENOMENAL!!!!1!!

I plan to figure the phenomenal count into my ranking decision.

Just kidding.

I've come through the other side, so that that all I have to say is: False.

:laugh:

I have not heard one resident say anything bad about their city and I've interviewed in some questionable cities.

I had a couple.

Me: This program seems really awesome. What's the downside.
Interviewer: Well. It's here in @#$%&&&^^.

And when asked about parking at another place.

Resident: Well, I park on the street and I've never had any problems. But. I wouldn't advise it for you women.

I think when they say stuff like that, it must be really bad.

I had a couple.

Me: This program seems really awesome. What's the downside.
Interviewer: Well. It's here in @#$%&&&^^.

And when asked about parking at another place.

Resident: Well, I park on the street and I've never had any problems. But. I wouldn't advise it for you women.

I think when they say stuff like that, it must be really bad.

When I had residents talk up Baltimore I knew that I had to take everything with a grain of salt

Its so real that its not funny anymore

lol

it is the first time I laughed so hard at something match-related during this interview season...Thank you so much! Feel free to write more...maybe you should be a writer on a side, you've got talent!