So how are Carib Med Schools Now...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpfuldoc2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Researched Carib Med Schools back in 2002, there were complains such as Ross being very unorganized, staff dont care, setting up your own clinicals or having a headache dealing with them etc... Also the massive rate of losing students.

At SGU there was the infamous decel program, students leaving or dropping out although not at the rate near that of Ross. Having the highest pass rate on boards because you cant take the boards unless you pass their version of the board. Extremely high tuition with unequal tuitions on a wierd semeter splitting, such as that of semester 3 being only 6 weeks long versus the 8-12 weeks on other semesters.

Saba, is it still small, with very primative facilites and all indian educated doctors (no offense to anyone). And does it still have a tiny library, and a poorer living standard than Ross.

The rest of the schools I dont know too much about so I wont even ask unless someone who went there can update.

This isnt meant as a flame or trolling but as an update for future MDs considering Carib Schools to keep them up to date and informed when making decisions on which school to go to, whether to consider Carib schools over DO schools, whether it will be a suitable options to future students' needs, etc...

Thanks for your input everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

At SGU, I knew of quite a few people who had to decel. But I only knew of one or two who dropped out altogether. Personally, I think its okay if a person has to decel once or twice. Some people need a slower pace. When they have to decel three, four, or five times, then there's a problem.

As for people having to pass an exam before being allowed to take the USMLE, that's true. We call that exam the BSCE (Basic Science Comprehensive Exam). Its a measure the administration uses to ensure that their students will pass the USMLE. But almost everyone passes the BSCE. When I was there, out of 195 people sitting the exam, only 17 failed. And you're also right about tuition. Its insanely expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Researched Carib Med Schools back in 2002, there were complains such as Ross being very unorganized, staff dont care, setting up your own clinicals or having a headache dealing with them etc... Also the massive rate of losing students.

At SGU there was the infamous decel program, students leaving or dropping out although not at the rate near that of Ross. Having the highest pass rate on boards because you cant take the boards unless you pass their version of the board. Extremely high tuition with unequal tuitions on a wierd semeter splitting, such as that of semester 3 being only 6 weeks long versus the 8-12 weeks on other semesters.

Saba, is it still small, with very primative facilites and all indian educated doctors (no offense to anyone). And does it still have a tiny library, and a poorer living standard than Ross.

The rest of the schools I dont know too much about so I wont even ask unless someone who went there can update.

This isnt meant as a flame or trolling but as an update for future MDs considering Carib Schools to keep them up to date and informed when making decisions on which school to go to, whether to consider Carib schools over DO schools, whether it will be a suitable options to future students' needs, etc...

Thanks for your input everyone!
Wherever u go u only on the island for a very short time. So who cares.

Wherever u go u only on the island for a very short time. So who cares.

Well study enviornment such as facilities, etc... do affect performance. I mean a hut in the middle of no where doesnt present the same opportunities as a fully equipped 24/7 medical library with professors that are known and a happy student body that helps one another. Also a university that can help you with your clinicals, organized, doesnt just want to take your money and throw you to the wolves, or just accept more students than a facility can hold or was meant for, all that stuff does matter. Especially with an investment of a lifetime...