So how does this work exactly?...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannaBpharmD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm signed up for the Oct. PCAT but due to school, work, and other obligations, I haven't studied as much as I wanted to for it. My ambitions are high-- I wanted to score >90 composite (who doesn't, right? =P). If I were to take the PCAT tomorrow, I would guess that I'd score about a 70.

My question: If I take the PCAT in Jan. also, will schools see my Oct. scores as well? Would it look bad if I didn't do so well the first time around? Would it hurt to take the Oct. PCAT as a trial run? If so, I'm thinking about canceling the Oct. and putting all my efforts on the Jan. test date. What do you guys think? Much obliged!

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools I know of won't look at Jan. PCAT scores for the fall 2010 acceptance cycle, so take the Oct one if you are hoping to get in this cycle.

Also, if you have worked your ass off in the sciences and math in undergrad and feel that you have decent retention, you really do not need to study that much (if at all) to be honest. Just review Kaplans or another review book and take a few practice tests and you should be fine. I almost did the same thing, switching the test to October instead of Aug, but now I am glad I didn't because it was not nearly as bad as I thought.

there are some schools that will look at the january scores if the admissions committee doesn't get together until march. but you might want to call the school to make sure because in some cases, they will accept january scores only if you have called them to say that you're taking the pcat in january and plan to send them your scores.

Thanks for your responses guys! Sorry, I didn't clarify--I'm not applying for pharm school till next summer (for fall 2011 class). I just wanted to get this excruciating test over with asap. It's taxing just thinking about it on a daily basis