So how hard is it to get a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm graduating in may 2018 and currently on my APPEs. second rotation right now in a physician's office. so when do i actually have to start applying and sending in my resume? i heard that almost everyone has something lined up after graduation by latest march/april. i've been working at cvs for nearly 3 years and at this point i don't think i care enough to complain and would work for them if they offered me a job. i only have one rotation at a PBM that i would be interested in working for after graduation but i don't want to put all the eggs in one basket and end up becoming disappointed. my other rotations are in some hospitals that i wouldn't mind working in postgrad but i don't know how the hell to convey that i want a job without having to kiss up and be a star A+ student that is super dedicated

also, i am interested in mail order, but i can never find any information or intel on that. i have asked my appe coordinator a solid amount of times requesting information and did google searching and digging but never found any solid mail order companies locally. basically i have no idea how to get involved in that and it sucks because i want to get involved

so yeah, let's say i wanna do retail straight out of school. if for some reason cvs doesn't offer me a job or i decide i wanna work for a grocery store pharmacy how do i do that? do i start sending out my resume to walmart, shoprite, or giant's pharmacy even while i am still on APPEs? anyone with first hand experience is preferable, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are looking at residency, you should know by end of April at latest (depending on phase I, phase II, scramble participation). I'm not as sure about the CVS hiring process, but from my own retail experience you should have a grad intern job lined up by April if you pursue one. Applications might start in February. You should be contacted by a recruiter. If you are looking for anything else, you will probably need to wait until you have a license or nearly have a license to be considered (maybe late May). The time frame of late May might be a little different if you know people from your APPE rotations. I didn't have any rotations where I had a chance of getting hired afterwards; however, I did a lot of rotations in teaching hospitals and in specialized areas. It may have been different if I had rural, community hospital rotations.

Getting a job is not hard. Getting the job you actual want is a different story.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Try to get in touch with grad recruiters is the way to go if you want to work for big chains, some of them will come to your campus in your P4 years

If you are looking at residency, you should know by end of April at latest (depending on phase I, phase II, scramble participation). I'm not as sure about the CVS hiring process, but from my own retail experience you should have a grad intern job lined up by April if you pursue one. Applications might start in February. You should be contacted by a recruiter. If you are looking for anything else, you will probably need to wait until you have a license or nearly have a license to be considered (maybe late May). The time frame of late May might be a little different if you know people from your APPE rotations. I didn't have any rotations where I had a chance of getting hired afterwards; however, I did a lot of rotations in teaching hospitals and in specialized areas. It may have been different if I had rural, community hospital rotations.
i plan on not doing residency, going to go straight into working. i feel that late may would be too late to find a job, i graduate in may

Getting a job is not hard. Getting the job you actual want is a different story.
i just want any pharmacist job offer, i have nothing right now

Try to get in touch with grad recruiters is the way to go if you want to work for big chains, some of them will come to your campus in your P4 years
what would i have to do if i wanted to work for walmart pharmacy? i applied online because i saw they had a pharmacist manager position available. they said a pharmd is required upon beginning of work which i will have

i plan on not doing residency, going to go straight into working. i feel that late may would be too late to find a job, i graduate in may

i just want any pharmacist job offer, i have nothing right now

what would i have to do if i wanted to work for walmart pharmacy? i applied online because i saw they had a pharmacist manager position available. they said a pharmd is required upon beginning of work which i will have
They kind of offer their interns first dibs on grad intern positions. A grad intern position is what you want if you need to start working the day after you graduate.

It will probably take you about a month to get licensed after graduation. Even if you are ready to take the NAPLEX day 1 after graduation, you still need to be granted eligibility to test by your state (or NABP depending on what state you are in). That takes about a week. You need to schedule the exam which will likely take a minimum of 2 weeks before an open testing slot if you are willing to travel and 4-6 weeks if you aren't (this depends on where you live). You then need to wait for your state to grant your license which usually takes a minimum of 1 week.

Most places kind of need someone now if they are posting an open pharmacist position. They might not want to wait a month. They certainly don't want to wait a year.

Here is a job search page for Walmart. Keep an eye out and start applying when you see open grad intern positions (probably early to mid spring).

Walmart Careers | Submit a Walmart Job Application Online

I can tolerate working at walmart pharmacy before i burnout, that's if i'm doing retail. i heard they give lunch breaks and it isn't as stressful. i shall pursue this more

I can tolerate working at walmart pharmacy before i burnout, that's if i'm doing retail. i heard they give lunch breaks and it isn't as stressful. i shall pursue this more
Walmart is really good. I interned there from P1 year to P4 year. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Yep! Walmart is better, I am going back to Walmart and moving 3 hours away, Had enough of CVS.

Lucky, i should have got into walmart P1 year, instead i went with crappy CVS

Reactions: 1 user
Lucky, i should have got into walmart P1 year, instead i went with crappy CVS

Nah after working at CVS I really recommend it right after you get out of school. Do it until you get a good spot at WM. So many vacant spots and available shifts at CVS, even in major cities. You'll learn so much and there is no customer service consequences like at better companies. If you know you'll be leaving soon it makes it so much more bearable.