So how much did your whole application process cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much did your whole application process cost?

• <$2,000

Votes: 30 23.1%
  • $4,000

Votes: 61 46.9%
  • $8,000

Votes: 22 16.9%
  • $10,000

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • >$10,000

Votes: 10 7.7%

• Total voters

powerful_squib

Snoop dogg resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a broke ugrad... I am applying next cycle and I wanted to know how much this whole process cost, including trips to interviews. I am going to most likely apply to 20 different schools. I know it varies big time, depending on whether you apply to OOS schools and how far each one is. I just wanted to know so I know how much I need to save. Just a ball park figure would be nice.

Thanks and congrats to the people who are matriculating.

edit: can you please add how many schools you applied to.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like it's gonna be an arm and half a leg ;)

I'm a broke ugrad... I am applying next cycle and I wanted to know how much this whole process cost, including trips to interviews. I am going to most likely apply to 20 different schools. I know it varies big time, depending on whether you apply to OOS schools and how far each one is. I just wanted to know so I know how much I need to save. Just a ball park figure would be nice.

Thanks and congrats to the people who are matriculating.

20 schools, suit, MCAT, travel, secondaries will all cost you at least 2k. That is being conservative with the travel. It can add up with the hotels and such. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only done with my primary, and between the app, MCAT, and prep books (no course), I'm already at $1k.

who the hell spent over 10k? Maybe they took that ultimate MCAT course?

It really depends on your stats and your life experiences. people in Texas get it cheap (YEAH!), my total application cost might be around $300 for apps, perhaps $40-400 spent on trips to schools, for a projected total of around $1500 or so.

Now, I'd wager that few people outside of Texas are going to be so lucky and might spend that much on the application & secondaries alone. If money is a worry, you really have to look and identify which schools you have a reasoanble chance in.

5 words: Neiman Marcus Men's Designer Collections.

i just looked and saw suits for 2k+ each. That is just gross. I wouldn't buy those suits.....well, ever.

I spent around $5,000. For the suit, AMCAS, secondaries, and 10 interviews on the West Coast, Midwest, and East Coast. but good results so it is worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
so around 4 -5 grand I am assuming? Is this a good ball park figure.

already at $2k with MCAT (fees, materials, prep course)... I'm going to have a heart attack if I don't get a good score. Oh and around $300-500 when I submit AMCAS primaries.
:oops:

I tell my younger pre-med friends that they should save up $2000 in preparation for the medical school application process. They think I'm crazy...until they experience it themselves. :rolleyes:

I'm already over $2K and have only sent 3 secondaries in. It will probably be more like $5k but that's not an option so I went with $4k. I'm keeping a running tally on my mdapps.

i just looked and saw suits for 2k+ each. That is just gross. I wouldn't buy those suits.....well, ever.

If you don't care about how shady or cheap this makes you look, you can do this to 'borrow' brand new men's or women's suits and not spend a dime. All you have to do is buy suit separates at Macy's which are already tailored to sizes like jeans or dress shirts are. They will probably fit just as well as a tailored suit unless you have unusual dimensions. The beauty of it all for us starving students is that as long as you save all the tags and the receipt, you have six months to return the suits, ties, dress shirts, blouses, etc. for a FULL refund. Not store credit. I did this for job interviews after I graduated from undergrad and saved a ton. I just had to have the resolve to return it even though the nice sales person who helped out was losing their commission on what I bought from them. Ah well. If your broke, it will save you the ~$500 your going to spend on your appearance.

no offense, that's just sick

If you don't care about how shady or cheap this makes you look, you can do this to 'borrow' brand new men's or women's suits and not spend a dime. All you have to do is buy suit separates at Macy's which are already tailored to sizes like jeans or dress shirts are. They will probably fit just as well as a tailored suit unless you have unusual dimensions. The beauty of it all for us starving students is that as long as you save all the tags and the receipt, you have six months to return the suits, ties, dress shirts, blouses, etc. for a FULL refund. Not store credit. I did this for job interviews after I graduated from undergrad and saved a ton. I just had to have the resolve to return it even though the nice sales person who helped out was losing their commission on what I bought from them. Ah well. If your broke, it will save you the ~$500 your going to spend on your appearance.

no offense, that's just sick

That's why I recommend washing/dry cleaning anything you buy from department stores before you wear it. They all have lax return policies and don't wash/clean their crap after they get it as a return. When I worked at Macy's pretty much half the stuff in the department had been returned so people were practically buying used, unwashed clothing for full price. If only they knew...

That's why I recommend washing/dry cleaning anything you buy from department stores before you wear it. They all have lax return policies and don't wash/clean their crap after they get it as a return. When I worked at Macy's pretty much half the stuff in the department had been returned so people were practically buying used, unwashed clothing for full price. If only they knew...

:eek:

Honestly, who doesn't wash clothes they buy anyway? Even if it's frickin' shrink wrapped from the factory, take the time to wash it...you have no idea what has come in contact with those clothes before they got to you, and until you wash them, the garbage is still gonna be on them. For all you know, a worker at the factory that produced the clothing is HIV positive and a drop of his/her blood fell on the assembly line that your clothing was on.

I wouldn't worry too much about HIV infected clothing. It doesn't last long in air, let alone sitting in a warehouse for a very long time. Even then how is it going to get under your skin. Do you lick your clothes? Or put them one while covered in open wounds?

Back to the original topic, I easily spent 10k on the application process. I didn't really keep track, but here's a basic breakdown. MCAT prep course, testing fees, 2 new suits (about $800 here including 2 shirts, new shoes, and 3 ties), 25 secondaries, 13 interviews (lots of flights, hotel rooms, and cabs, I'd say each interview averaged $400), 6 acceptances.

I didn't have any idea what part of the country I wanted to be in so I applied broadly, tried hard on every application, and didn't really have any decision to make until I got into multiple schools. Then I decided what was my number one choice.

Ran some numbers and I've spent almost $2300 so far, and still probably another $2500 in secondaries and travel costs.

After running my numbers I will be up to $750. Thats what doing early decision will get you.

I wouldn't worry too much about HIV infected clothing. It doesn't last long in air, let alone sitting in a warehouse for a very long time. Even then how is it going to get under your skin. Do you lick your clothes? Or put them one while covered in open wounds?

Back to the original topic, I easily spent 10k on the application process. I didn't really keep track, but here's a basic breakdown. MCAT prep course, testing fees, 2 new suits (about $800 here including 2 shirts, new shoes, and 3 ties), 25 secondaries, 13 interviews (lots of flights, hotel rooms, and cabs, I'd say each interview averaged $400), 6 acceptances.

Being admitted to medical school AND having choices.........priceless.

Sorry, i had to. It was just to easy.

This is pretty bad - like stealing. I don't advocate this. Buy a suit from target or Sears if you cant' afford an expensive suit. Adcoms are not going to check your purchase history - just look nice.

When I tell my friends how much I'm spending this year just to apply, they just can't believe it. But here's the breakdown. First 1.5k on Kaplan and another $200 on books. 1.8k on the primaries, almost 1k so far on secondaries. ($150 on TMDSAS, 100 on secondaries). And $250 for the suit. That's just so far---I have a lot more secondaries and interviews (airfare and hotels), but (hopefully :oops: ) I'll get an acceptance.

Applied to 50 or so schools

When I tell my friends how much I'm spending this year just to apply, they just can't believe it. But here's the breakdown. First 1.5k on Kaplan and another $200 on books. 1.8k on the primaries, almost 1k so far on secondaries. ($150 on TMDSAS, 100 on secondaries). And $250 for the suit. That's just so far---I have a lot more secondaries and interviews (airfare and hotels), but (hopefully :oops: ) I'll get an acceptance.

Wowzers... make that perseverance/dedication show through in your applications and I'm sure you'll do fine :luck::thumbup:

Brutal, props on the hard work....hopefully it will pay off in options

I'm already looking at my costs, and I realllly hope I get in this cycle. I don't think I'll be able to afford to do this again. I'm not applying to that many schools (9), because I really don't want to go anywhere else... I have a support system in place around each of the schools I applied to, and none in other schools I would apply to. Here's hoping...

I'm up to about $1K now, and I've only submitted one secondary.

Depending on your location, you can limit yourself to schools within a short drive of home and stay with a student host. One successful applicant 4 years ago did this (driving out of Philly) and was accepted at 2 of the 3 schools where she interviewed.

Adcom interviewers are the least fashion conscious people I know. As long as you are clean and well groomed, whether the suit was a bargain basement (or thrift shop) find or custom tailored isn't going to matter.

Finally, watch the OOS applications. I think that this accounts for largest proportion of wasted money -- along with applying to too many "reach" schools.

I think people forget to take into account those "hidden" expenses like postage and printing fees or meals you eat on the road that otherwise would have been eaten at home. I can't give a solid estimate because of those, but when I estimate the equation looks like this:

MCAT test and prep fees (no class but books and practice tests) ~$500
primary app ~ $600
secondary apps ~ $1200
interview outfit ~ $400
interview travel ~ $2500
miscellaneous fees (total guess here) ~ $500

Grand total = $5200

That's actually less than I think I really spent because my credit card bill (I only used it for application expenses) says otherwise, but I don't know what the rest of the money went to.

So that's my 520,000 cents worth.

I think people forget to take into account those "hidden" expenses like postage and printing fees

Don't pay for FedEx or Priority Mail when a 41 cent stamp will do. Stay ahead of your deadlines and save a few bucks which over time adds up.

meals you eat on the road that otherwise would have been eaten at home.

Sometimes that can't be avoided but if you aren't eating at home you're saving money on groceries. :D Also, you can pack snacks and mini-meals that are shelf-stable so that you aren't at the mercy of the restaurant industry. Take advantage of the free breakfast/lunch offered on interview day. Wean yourself off expensive espresso based drinks.

10 schools, 3 secondaries (that i bothered to complete), travel...

total cost : $145

reasons: FAP. applied primary to 10 schools for free. 2 allowed me to waive the secondary fee. paid 45 for one secondary. as far as travel, i have family in almost every state so i just stayed at family's house but gave them 100 bucks for the stay. gas was a no brainer, i just syphoned off gas from people at stops along the way

cool huh?

moral of the story: apply FAP....unless youre too rich do to so. and learn how to syphon

bump bump bump

For all you know, a worker at the factory that produced the clothing is HIV positive and a drop of his/her blood fell on the assembly line that your clothing was on.

I gotta imagine that being this germophobic is not going to bode well for a career in medicine. I mean - has there ever been a case of HIV spread via used clothing?:laugh::laugh::laugh: