So I could really use some advice?

Started by cis4cookie
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cis4cookie

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got accepted to both schools, ICO and the new school at Midwestern in Arizona. I am born and raised in Chicago so I know the area well. However, I have been living in Arizona for the past year and absolutely love it here compared to Chicago. After weighing the pro’s and con’s for both schools I am still having a hard time trying to decide. I know I will get a better clinical experience at ICO as it is more renowned. But, it will also cost anywhere between 50-90 grand more to attend ICO, including the cost of living. I prefer living in Arizona, but there are still too many unknowns with Midwestern, such as how the NBEO pass rates will be and how big of a patient base their clinic will have. Their clinic is still in the process of being built and won’t be done till I start, where as ICO usually has 80,000 patients a year. I am also not sure whether or not Midwestern offers residency programs but I was told that Arizona optometrist can’t technically be classified as specialist in particular sub fields. Oh, I also plan to practice in Arizona one day, but you never know plans can always change. I would appreciate any advice anybody has to give.
 
in my opinion, midwestern shouldn't even be a consideration. what good is saving 50-90 grand, if when you graduate the school isn't accredited or you can't pass your boards, or see a total of 50 patients by graduation?