so I ended up landing 2 pharmacy interships..

Started by KKHeal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KKHeal

Pharmacist pursuing an MBA
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious what would you do?

(1) One of the Internships is $12.50/hr, close to home, 40hrs per week with possibility of continuing after summer.
(2) The other one, about 5 hours away, have to sublet over there, $15/hr, 40 hours per week.

They are both the same type of job. They both start on the same day in couple of weeks and I gotta decide fast!

Would it hurt to ask the first one to match the salary offered by the 2nd one?
When I decide to turn down one of them; whats a good way to avoid burning bridges in case of the future?

Suggestions appreciated and might help others who run into future situation
 
I'd take the $12.50/hr job. You have to be at a wash at best with the extra money due to staying there.
 
I'd take the $12.50/hr job. You have to be at a wash at best with the extra money due to staying there.

ok..in taking the first one..would you try asking them to match the other offer? or just take the 12.50?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What wes said.

Probably even less than a wash if you consider you'll probably drive the 5 hours "home" at least a handful of times.

If the jobs really are that similar, I'd just take the $12.50 and stick close to home (unless you're looking for an excuse to move away for awhile). 😉\

As for not burning bridges, be honest and respectful - thank them for the opportunity, you were offered a position closer to home, yada yada.

And I'd just take the $12.50 - if you consider how much "extra" the $15/hr job is costing you to have, you aren't really making $15/hr. Plus, 5 hours is pretty far - like the distance between rural Kansas and metro St. Louis - so you could be talking a totally different pay "zone" or whatever. I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask, but personally, I wouldn't.
 
The part that sucks is how I was already excited to go 5 hrs away for the summer...and then the other folks came calling....and I'm like what have they been waiting?? If I decide on the 2nd offer, I gotta start unpacking my bags





What wes said.

Probably even less than a wash if you consider you'll probably drive the 5 hours "home" at least a handful of times.

If the jobs really are that similar, I'd just take the $12.50 and stick close to home (unless you're looking for an excuse to move away for awhile). 😉\

As for not burning bridges, be honest and respectful - thank them for the opportunity, you were offered a position closer to home, yada yada.

And I'd just take the $12.50 - if you consider how much "extra" the $15/hr job is costing you to have, you aren't really making $15/hr. Plus, 5 hours is pretty far - like the distance between rural Kansas and metro St. Louis - so you could be talking a totally different pay "zone" or whatever. I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask, but personally, I wouldn't.
 
The part that sucks is how I was already excited to go 5 hrs away for the summer...and then the other folks came calling....and I'm like what have they been waiting?? If I decide on the 2nd offer, I gotta start unpacking my bags

Well then that makes all the difference. If you really *WANT* the one that is further away, along with some of the "hassles" that come with it, then that's the one you should take.

If you really don't care, well, you already have my opinions there.

Good luck whatever you decide.
 
Pick the one that's closer to wherever you'll want to practice. Networking is important, so the sooner that you can start networking (with people you may work with down the road) the better.
 
Take the job where you like the people better. That's the way I always chose between two equivalent options. 🙂 Either do what will get you best experience/aligns with your long-term goals better - or where you would enjoy being more. If everything else is equivalent - then just go for the better financial outcome. Taking the one closer to home, you will win financially because expenses will be so much less. Asking for higher rate... highly unlikely to be productive, those are usually pre-set, take it or leave it type deal.
 
I landed a 2 lb rainbow trout last night. :meanie:

It was delicious...

Take the closer job.

i havent kept a trout in a decade...it really should be a catch and release fish... tho my past 2 trips to CO, i must have made eleventy billion casts with a fly to catch lousy 2 browns and 1 rainbow...

now i will only keep crappie and blue gills.. and i will keep walleye if i ever make it up north.
 
ok..in taking the first one..would you try asking them to match the other offer? or just take the 12.50?

Considering you are a pharmacy intern with zero bargaining power, I'd just take the $12.50 an hour, and update your CV. This gives you the perfect opportunity to start networking with future colleagues and if you decide you want to work for another company as an intern, at least you have experience.