So, I failed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dr. Josh

Now what am I going to do? I got a D in Organic Chemistry 1 and it's my senior year. I plan to retake it in the summer and then take organic 2. My grades were fairly decent before (3.7 overall and even a 3.9 science); this really killed my gpa and looks horrible. What should I do? Is my dream over? I was only taking it as a pre-req and don't need it to graduate.

Members don't see this ad.

No no no. One class doesn't ruin a dream. Orgo sucks. Re-take it, get a good grade, and move on. You will be fine.

Now what am I going to do? I got a D in Organic Chemistry 1 and it's my senior year. I plan to retake it in the summer and then take organic 2. My grades were fairly decent before (3.7 overall and even a 3.9 science); this really killed my gpa and looks horrible. What should I do? Is my dream over? I was only taking it as a pre-req and don't need it to graduate.

Wow a D is pretty bad but I think you can still make it with extra time. now you've got some work to do. Did you finish the rest of your prereqs? I'm assuming you did well in those. If you're graduating, I would immediately enroll in a post-bac program (1-2 years). They will not only have u take orgo 1 again butyou'll also take more advanced science classes. And if you do good in those, then the admissions committee will most likely overlook that D depending on your MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I forgot to mention that it may also be easier to look into the DO route if you havent already. But I think mainly worrying about your MCAT and getting good grades in more advanced science classes. Then see where you stand.

Oh, I forgot to mention that it may also be easier to look into the DO route if you havent already. But I think mainly worrying about your MCAT and getting good grades in more advanced science classes. Then see where you stand.

I was actually thinking DO because I prefer that philosophy but I was going to apply allo too because statee schools are cheaper. Maybe now it's not an option.

And no I don't want 1-2 yrs post-bac. I really wanted to apply over the summer for the next app cycle. And I still want to do it. It has ruined all my plans as for shadowing, volunteer work, etc. You have no idea how depressed i am, and it's Christmas.

merry christmas hopes santa gives you a better grade in orgo

I was actually thinking DO because I prefer that philosophy but I was going to apply allo too because statee schools are cheaper. Maybe now it's not an option.

And no I don't want 1-2 yrs post-bac. I really wanted to apply over the summer for the next app cycle. And I still want to do it. It has ruined all my plans as for shadowing, volunteer work, etc. You have no idea how depressed i am, and it's Christmas.

Hang in there! Orgo was by far the hardest subject for me so you're def not alone. I think if you get a good mcat and retake and do well that you should have a solid chance at getting into med school this cycle. Just do the best you can, you'll likely be a doctor at the end of the day.

It's just a D. What are you worrying about. Of course you could consider suicide. I got a D in calc II. It doesn't drop your GPA that much and yours is much higher than mine. Retake the class, get a better grade, and you have nothing to worry about.

Why couldn't you just taken a W instead of a D? I had to take a W in biochem and though it looks bad too, at least there is an element of mystery that comes with it, i guess...

One D does not matter IF and ONLY IF you get a MUCH better grade the second time. They will see it as a fluke- we all mess up, so you should see it that way too! BTW, I did the same thing- I had to lv town for work, had an uncooperative professor, and got an F ( didnt take the final)- I retook it, got a B+, and got accepted into four medical schools this year, both DO/MD. They asked about it at every interview I went on,(7 so far), so be ready to be grilled.

Does Organic Chemistry I mean organic chemistry 101 and organic chemistry being 201? someone explain...it would be a lot of help thanks...I hear all this talk about organic chemistry and i'm not quite sure waht classes you are talking about...thanks

Does Organic Chemistry I mean organic chemistry 101 and organic chemistry being 201? someone explain...it would be a lot of help thanks...I hear all this talk about organic chemistry and i'm not quite sure waht classes you are talking about...thanks

Organic Chemistry I as in the first course in organic chemistry for the average person. the course numbers can be different. For instance, berkeley starts with 0xx and rochester starts at 1xx. Clearly, organic at these two schools will have different course number. In other words, course xxx is different for each school

just a question, so i hope you don't take any offense to it. how did you have a 3.9 science gpa and then received a D in organic chemistry?

Hang in there! Orgo was by far the hardest subject for me so you're def not alone. I think if you get a good mcat and retake and do well that you should have a solid chance at getting into med school this cycle. Just do the best you can, you'll likely be a doctor at the end of the day.

That's A LOT of "ifs"; I've lost my self-confidence after this failure. I'm REALLY worried sick.

just a question, so i hope you don't take any offense to it. how did you have a 3.9 science gpa and then received a D in organic chemistry?

Because all As, and one B+ makes a 3.9. I love science and basically did well in it (though it's not my major and I only started taking them for pre-reqs for med school). I don't take offense but keep in mind I'm still in shock and starting to fall into a depression.

Why couldn't you just taken a W instead of a D? I had to take a W in biochem and though it looks bad too, at least there is an element of mystery that comes with it, i guess...

Because I had a C+/B- when it was the period we could drop.

That's A LOT of "ifs"; I've lost my self-confidence after this failure. I'm REALLY worried sick.

Retake this coming semester - graduated or not - apply as cont-ed. I'm sure you have not missed the deadline at every school. IF that does not work, apply for a summer course at an AT PAR or SAME school and retake.

My dear, this WILL NOT ruin you, in fact you have a great chance to prove to schools how you bounce back from failure. Considering your other grades, I believe they will still want to interview you.

Your one issue is that if this 3.9 BCPM or whatever is the way that is only from med pre-reqs and you have a D in organic, you may not be showing the adcoms that you are a competent student in the biological sciences. That may be where the post-bacc/SMP comes in handy. However, I may not be the best judge, because having gone to a Canadian University I had to take a ridiculous load of science courses to fulfill the requirements, so I'm not even sure what adcoms are impressed with these days. They seem to like Sociology and other arts majors just fine, who have taken the basic sciences. However, I'm not sure any of those people got an D in Ochem....so...

Like I said, retake and ask someone if it pays for you to take Biochem in case you haven't already and if you are an arts major. If not, and that 3.9 is substantiated by several courses outside of the pre-reqs, don't sweat it.

You're going to be fine.

I'm taking orgo 1 next semester, and there have been atleast 3 threads about orgo and how hard it is.....I'm going to study like hell, atleast now I know what I'm up against. I've already started reviewing the the first chapters.....

josh whats done is done, don't be hard on yourself. You must now focus your energies on a solution. Don't give up.

Many medical school secondary applications require an essay that discusses a situation in which you failed, or that caused great stress. Instead of allowing yourself to become depressed, think about what you have learned from this situation and what would be a productive way of handling the problem. Start to think through how you would write such an essay about your current situation and what your conclusion about yourself needs to be for the story to turn out positively. Then act on it!

And never let this happen again.

how is getting a D mean that you failed? i thought failing was an F, not a D.

Moderator Note: Duplicate threads are not allowed. But feel free to continue the discussion in the pre-osteopathic forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=352514

Status
Not open for further replies.