So I haven't broken a 30 yet but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullishMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I still think I am going to tear up the real thing on AUG. 19th like 33 -35. I am taking aamc 7 today and I better break 30. My highest right now is 28. Sometimes I think i shouldnt take it and wait since i havent broken 30 but sometimes i think that i just havent broken 30 yet on practices because i havent had that focus that i will have on the real day and i think that focus will get me 4 or 5 points above my practices. Is this a bad way to think?

Members don't see this ad.

If you arent even breaking 30, I highly doubt you are going to get a 33-35 on the real thing....although it can happen.

I was getting 33-34 on the real thing and only got a 30.

BrutusBuckeyeMD said:
I still think I am going to tear up the real thing on AUG. 19th like 33 -35. I am taking aamc 7 today and I better break 30. My highest right now is 28. Sometimes I think i shouldnt take it and wait since i havent broken 30 but sometimes i think that i just havent broken 30 yet on practices because i havent had that focus that i will have on the real day and i think that focus will get me 4 or 5 points above my practices. Is this a bad way to think?

Yes. The real test will probably be slightly harder than your practice tests because of the pressure that's involved. I found myself going slower and getting more tired during the actual test than I ever did in the 10 or so PT's I took. That doesn't mean you'll do worse on the actual test (since everyone else is going through the same thing) but you are unlikely to see a 4-5 pt. improvement. It wouldn't surprise me if you scored a 30 or 31 though.

I just got a 25 yesterday. I know it sounds horrible but it is the best I have done. One my previous tests I have gotten a 20 and 21. So the 25 was a big jump for me. I am hoping to keep jumping. I have 3 more practice tests and I am studying pretty much all day everyday. I really really want to get a 30 on the real thing.
So I think you can definitely still get a 30. I am trying for it. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
most people fall within their practice score range on the day of the test

a safe estimation is average of recently taken mcat practice tests +- 2

Don't listen to them. If you think you're gonna kill it on test day, then you'll kill it on test day.

I think you should get a 36...

Foolins said:
Don't listen to them. If you think you're gonna kill it on test day, then you'll kill it on test day.

Exactly! Just stay calm and go in there like you're taking the test for the hell of it. Actually, don't think about numbers right now. Just do your best and like I say, the rest will fall into place. People exacerbate their fears and worries with a constant focus on what they are getting on their practice tests. Just relax and stay focused! :luck:

my scores have been kinda eveywhere.... i broke 30 twice ... (32 being the highest on 5R)... but i've had 23's... and 25 yeterday.. bc my score's fluctuating so much, i have noooo idea where i lie.. neways, hoping to get 35 on real mcat....

btw. did anyone else think kaplan #7 was ridiculously hard?

Foolins said:

Bingo. This test is as much about attitude as it is practice test scores.

ADeadLois said:
Bingo. This test is as much about attitude as it is practice test scores.

this is so true. I was consistently hitting 29-31 on practice tests, but was convinced that they were innaccurate. Ended up with a 35 on gameday. you gotta get psyched!!!

I'm in the same boat....27's.....I am gonna get a 33 on the rest...

Shame of you who say we won't jump....just watch us.....

I am with ya, getting 27 on both 7 and 8, I would love a 30, hopefully i can get some confidence cause right now i am scared to pieces...

Anyways I think its great that you have confidence, just as long as you keep working....hope you get the score you hope for!

I actually have a feeling I will improve as well...simply because I will actually get some rest next week, as I don't plan to study for 5 hours or more a night...and I won't be at home with our dogs raising hell or my wife barging in during the test, so I will be able to concentrate.

yep i think depending on your attitude and mood that day, it could add/minus 4 pts from your avg practice score

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it really depends on whether your previous scores were due to lack of knowledge or lack of focus/dumb mistakes. if it's the latter, u may very well go up w/the right attitude. i seriously take an entire day to go over a FL exam. otherwise, u don't truly know what went wrong on each and every question u got wrong or guessed on and got right. good luck! (im just as scared as all of u out there)

BrutusBuckeyeMD said:
I am in the same boat. I would be thrilled with a 32 on test day, but a 30/31 is my goal. :D

redsoxfan said:
i think it really depends on whether your previous scores were due to lack of knowledge or lack of focus/dumb mistakes. if it's the latter, u may very well go up w/the right attitude. i seriously take an entire day to go over a FL exam. otherwise, u don't truly know what went wrong on each and every question u got wrong or guessed on and got right. good luck! (im just as scared as all of u out there)

Yeah... and its hard to tell then sometimes too.

I went up by 3... I was nervous halfway through PS then I was fine for the rest of the test. Verbal rattled me a bit because I was timing myself 10 minutes less than the time we actually had... I was a bit confused after that.

But I was fine. So if you are confident and have a strategy to keep you relaxed you will improve.

BrutusBuckeyeMD said:

You will do fine. But I will still kick your ass on the MCAT. hahaha neerbaby

Kaysee said:
I am with ya, getting 27 on both 7 and 8, I would love a 30, hopefully i can get some confidence cause right now i am scared to pieces...

Anyways I think its great that you have confidence, just as long as you keep working....hope you get the score you hope for!

Have confidence in yourself. If you have come this far, you are a trooper and just know that the more you relax and are confident in what you know, the better you will do. Don't be scared. It's just another practice exam that's testing to see what you know and more importantly, how you reason. Go with your instinct and remember that 90% of your knowledge comes from the subconcious! :luck:

I didn't break a 30 on practice days either. About 1 hour before I got my scores back I was hopping up and down in my room praying to everything, everywhere that I had gotten at least a 28. I ended up with a 33. I think it totally depends on how you handle pressure. I happen to thrive on it. Hope you do, too! Best of luck to you!

So I had this massive nervous breakdown today... because I'm scoring the 27-28 range... this makes me feel so much better... I'm totally gonna kick some AAMC A** on the 19th to make up for a lack of summer... classes start the 21st...and wisdom teeth are getting pulled on friday... so no labor day weekend for me either... :mad:

Buckeye(OH) said:
If you arent even breaking 30, I highly doubt you are going to get a 33-35 on the real thing....although it can happen.

I was getting 33-34 on the real thing and only got a 30.
Did you mean to say you were getting 33-35 on practices and only got a 30 on the real thing?

I'd be happy with a 30 right now.

Keep the faith...I am going over my old exams...a second time...the first time i said, I need to review this topic....now I am getting them right...and the ones I am not getting, I am learning a ton from.....

Keep the positives flowing...stay strong....I had my low point on monday night and now I am back and better than ever.....

You can do it too....

4success said:
my scores have been kinda eveywhere.... i broke 30 twice ... (32 being the highest on 5R)... but i've had 23's... and 25 yeterday.. bc my score's fluctuating so much, i have noooo idea where i lie.. neways, hoping to get 35 on real mcat....

btw. did anyone else think kaplan #7 was ridiculously hard?

yea i think kaplan #7 was harder than the others

in April, I was getting 29,30 on the Kaplan exams and then got a 25 on the real thing...not sure why but probably because i was nervous or something
just don't do what I did and go down 5 points
this time I hope to be just like you and kick some A**!

Confidence is key... it will make you feel better and less tired during the test.

If you didn't break 30 on 3R, you better get studying hard... I rarely hear of people doing more than 2 points more than their highest practice test unless they took the last practice test like 3 months before the real thing.

A BETTER idea is to score something 30+ on a practice test WITH distractions WHEN you are tired. If you can do that, the score should be like -1 to +2 within the range. Nothing scientific here, but it makes sense.
Not scoring 30's yet shows you can improve in a) subject knowledge
b) time mangament
or c) a combination of the 2
Neither of those will sudenly come to you on test day.

Hello everyone,

so i've been reading everyone's stories...and i feel a lot better to see many people are in the same boat as i am in. i took the mcat before and ended up with a 23...10 PS, 4 VR, 9 BS....and obviously didn't get into med school b/c of stupid verbal. meanwhile i graduated my B.S. degree with an overall gpa of 3.61, which i brought up from a 2.94. im' gona be doin a 1-year masters program this upcomiong year, but the admissinos guy said, my GPA is NOT the problem...adn ti's mcat. and basically i need to bring my MCAT to at least a 30.

so, im' retaking teh mcat again this august...and i've been doing much better on practice exams then before...but i've gone into a bell=shaped curve. 20, 23, 28, 26, 25, and 22....these are the AAMCAS exams 3R - 8, respecitvely.

i'm petrified at this point...and i know this is such a wrong timing to feel like this since it's in one week. but what should i do?? i can say for a fact that when i was doin those exams...one section i was just not entirely focused while the other two i was in focus. i mean, as the first person said...do you think on test day, with all that adrenaline rush, things will go right??

please give me words of wisdom as what i should do now. i seriously think this is more of a psychological problem than knowledge problem anymore.

thanks everyone!!!

--VRK

it's certainly possible. I never broke 30 on my practice tests. Got a 35 on the real thing. Keep your hope up!!!

knio said:
it's certainly possible. I never broke 30 on my practice tests. Got a 35 on the real thing. Keep your hope up!!!

What was your highest practice test? What score were you consistently getting?

Wow!!! Hi guys I just joined SDN!!! I'm a little late in the game but here are my practice scores so far...Not as good as some, but I have been improving so I'm definately excited!!

5r: PS5, VR7, BS7 (19) no studying/ early June
1g: PS7, VR7, BS7 (21)
2f: PS7, VR7, BS8 (22)
3g: PS7, VR7, BS7 (21)
6r: PS7, VR10,BS11 (28) done studying/ late July ...just when I was going to throw in the towel
8r: PS8, VR7, BS8 (23) :scared: not sure what happened here? but PS is improving
3r: PS8,VR9,BS10 (27) so 6r wasnt a fluke!! :p (1pt away from a 9 in PS and a 10 in VR!!!!)
9r:tomorrow

So that's the run down. Did anyone else think 8r was a beast? I spent the bulk of my summer studying PS and it has definately paid off. 9r is the last test I'm taking. Should I try to do anymore tests next week or just review old tests? If you think I should do one or two more tests...which one/two would you recommend? By the way you guys have definately kept me motivated and inspired this summer to push for the 30!!! Good luck to all next Saturday!!!

BrutusBuckeyeMD said:

That's the attitude I'm going to have too.. :luck: :luck: :luck:

bball25 said:
Wow!!! Hi guys I just joined SDN!!! I'm a little late in the game but here are my practice scores so far...Not as good as some, but I have been improving so I'm definately excited!!

5r: PS5, VR7, BS7 (19) no studying/ early June
1g: PS7, VR7, BS7 (21)
2f: PS7, VR7, BS8 (22)
3g: PS7, VR7, BS7 (21)
6r: PS7, VR10,BS11 (28) done studying/ late July ...just when I was going to throw in the towel
8r: PS8, VR7, BS8 (23) :scared: not sure what happened here? but PS is improving
3r: PS8,VR9,BS10 (27) so 6r wasnt a fluke!! :p (1pt away from a 9 in PS and a 10 in VR!!!!)
9r:tomorrow

So that's the run down. Did anyone else think 8r was a beast? I spent the bulk of my summer studying PS and it has definately paid off. 9r is the last test I'm taking. Should I try to do anymore tests next week or just review old tests? If you think I should do one or two more tests...which one/two would you recommend? By the way you guys have definately kept me motivated and inspired this summer to push for the 30!!! Good luck to all next Saturday!!!

Are you going to post this on every thread? lol. jk.

RAD11 said:
What was your highest practice test? What score were you consistently getting?
My highest practice score was 28. I was averaging around 26-28 throughout my practice, and I remember I got an 18 once (can't remember which test it was, but it made me almost wanted to give up!).

Aatif Tirmizi said:
I got a 25 on 7r yesterday, I was so upset I started to tear up this morning and couldn't sleep. My highest is 28 on Kaplan #8. I wan't to get at least a 30. Pray for me guys.
Meeee toooo!!! I had 27 then a 26 and then a 28. Then I took 7 and got 8/7/10 and I thought I did really good on PS after I finished it. I was so freakin upset and I am still upset. On top of all that I got in a freakin car accident today. I am about to lose it. Especially when I hear people say they thought 7 was easy.

knio said:
My highest practice score was 28. I was averaging around 26-28 throughout my practice, and I remember I got an 18 once (can't remember which test it was, but it made me almost wanted to give up!).
Thanks for sharing this. It definitely helps. :)

The way I see it is: if you have been only giving yourself the 10minute break between sections on your practice exams then your brain is probably a bit "tired" before the next section. I know during the real thing (depending on where you test) the proctors always take much longer reading the instructions and your brain will have extra time to rest. So use this extra time to relax your brain (it is a lot like a muscle), get psyched, and I'm sure you are capable of a few points better than when you only gave yourself only 10 minutes between sections. Anyone who has taken the practice exams only to go back after grading a question knows that they could have gotten that question right had they had been in the right mind set. This is a test of your thinking ability, not what you have memorized. So good luck and DON'T get discouraged, confidence breeds success. This is your future -so take control of it :).

That is very inspiring knio =) What do you think made the difference on test day? Somehow, I always end up doing worse on the real thing, i.e. school exams, etc. due to nerves.

4s4 said:
That is very inspiring knio =) What do you think made the difference on test day? Somehow, I always end up doing worse on the real thing, i.e. school exams, etc. due to nerves.

I dunno if it helped, but I had an Egg McMuffin with a small coffee the morning before I took the test and I chewed gum throughout the test ... :oops:

But really, my mind was set at just doing my best and realizing that it can't be the worst thing on earth even if I did poorly on it. Somehow it worked.

knio said:
I dunno if it helped, but I had an Egg McMuffin with a small coffee the morning before I took the test and I chewed gum throughout the test ... :oops:

But really, my mind was set at just doing my best and realizing that it can't be the worst thing on earth even if I did poorly on it. Somehow it worked.

I am going to do the exact same thing..no im jk, that would be stupid..

by the way where did u get ur breakfast from... :laugh: jk

abadri421 said:
I am going to do the exact same thing..no im jk, that would be stupid..

by the way where did u get ur breakfast from... :laugh: jk

Old McDonald had a store...E.I.E.I.OOOOOOOOO

I am lucky (or unlucky) to have a McD just across the street from my house ... mwahuahuaha :laugh:

knio said:

Wow, that's really great. Awesome job!