Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Psychology Student
The good news is that I have a year to take it and haven't started studying at all except for glancing over an old gre practice book. I found my baseline score from this test which is awful and will get my application thrown away from any halfway competitive program. I would like to know if anyone made a miraculous advancement from studying with GRE prep materials. Most of the people on here start with a good score and make it great. Has anyone started with an awful score and made it good? I'm just worried that not trying in high school will be my downfall because I have such a weak foundation in this area. Thanks for any input!

cara susanna

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Midwest
Status
Psychologist
I got my GRE quant from a 300 to a 500 just by working through the Kaplan math prep book. However, I didn't get my target score (or close enough to it, anyway) until I got tutoring from Princeton Review.

OP
P

Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Psychology Student
What did you guys use exactly to do it though? I can't afford tutoring or classes. Just the some sort of kaplan prep book most likely. :shrug:

cara susanna

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Midwest
Status
Psychologist
I used the Kaplan Math Workbook.

However, my favorite prep book overall is the official ETS one.

psychanxiety

10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2009
Status
Non-Student
I wouldn't worry too much yet. I didn't even take a practice test until I had done a decent amount of studying (I was too scared), but I really think a large portion of the test is becoming familiar with the crazy CAT. After that, get some prep books (I am an advocate for using several prep books- not just one company) and start becoming familiar with the different kinds of quant questions and memorize the appropriate formulas. I think after that you'll get a more realistic picture of what your score is and how much additional studying you'll need to do. Also, take as many computer practice tests as possible- it's completely different from paper and pencil practice tests.

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
honestly, all the stuff out there for studying *is* for getting poor scores into the good range. There really are very few resources those of us wanting to bring a 1200 to a 1400 but theres tons out there for bringing a 1000 to 1200. I bet you'll be able to bring it up w some hard work. I 2nd the official ets gre book. The others were all pretty much crap I thought.

Markp

Clinical Psychologist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2007
Status
Psychologist
Took math from mid 400's to a 740... It can be done.

Mark

OP
P

Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Psychology Student
Thank you all very much for the feedback, certainly was encouraging. :)

I'm going to be a junior and I suppose I would take the GRE next summer/fall. Would preparing to study 6 months in advance be too late to bump up my scores? I was hoping to start winter break so I could focus on classes for one semester. I guess upping scores has tons of variability but what would be an average amount of time needed to have such an increase of say 500-600 points total? Thanks again!

irish80122

DCT at Miss State U.
15+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2003
Status
Psychologist
If you haven't yet, take the practice tests from ETS, not from the test companies. I think the test company practice tests are harder than the actual thing (honestly) because they want you to sign up for their courses. I found the practice test from ETS to be very similar to the actual thing.

It is definitely a test you can prep for and raise your score. Good luck!

knowing

toes squeezing the edge
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2009
in a state of ascension
Status
Psychology Student
I'm scheduled to take it in August but my nerves are getting the best of me. I may reschedule...yep I'm a scaredy cat...:))

HeyJude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
Status
Psychology Student
Hang in there! My Q went from a 4-something to 710! I never took the SAT or any other kind of GRE type test, so I didn't understand that the quantitative section is as much logic as it is math. On the other hand, my V dipped about 100 points from my first practice test, but I chalk it up to bad luck.

Markp

Clinical Psychologist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2007
Status
Psychologist
Thank you all very much for the feedback, certainly was encouraging. :)

I'm going to be a junior and I suppose I would take the GRE next summer/fall. Would preparing to study 6 months in advance be too late to bump up my scores? I was hoping to start winter break so I could focus on classes for one semester. I guess upping scores has tons of variability but what would be an average amount of time needed to have such an increase of say 500-600 points total? Thanks again!
The math is where the easy points are at... the verbal is much more difficult to raise... lots of vocab will be of some help, and avid readers do well.

Mark

JockNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
The most important part of the math section is learning the ETS tricks. For example, you might get a diagram with something that looks like a right triangle, but doesn't have the little box at the 90' corner. So, it's not necessarily a right triangle and it's pretty likely that the question can't be answered. Most of the algebra can be solved in a few seconds once you know the correct way of approaching the problems. If you find yourself spending more than 30 seconds on any math problem, you're missing something and should check your strategy.

For vocab, don't try to memorize. Instead, try multiple levels of encoding; use each word in a question about someone you know, in a statement about yourself, and in a statement about something you're very familiar with (so, NOT "Dad's car is antediluvian," but "Dad's car was so antediluvian that the Penguin couple used it to get to Noah"*)

*This is a very, very funny joke if you know the root of "antediluvian."

Last edited:

psychmama

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2008
NYC Area
Status
Psychologist
Just another word of encouragement. I was a terrible math student and did very poorly on the SAT math. Many years later when I decided to go to grad school and needed to take the GRE I basically taught myself math from scratch. I used online and booklet materials from Kaplan, giving myself 6 months to study. I was so surprised to get a math GRE score in the mid 600's on my first try! So if I can do it, anyone can. Learning the tricks and test strategies is important. I found that Kaplan was helpful in this respect.

Good luck.

knowing

toes squeezing the edge
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2009
in a state of ascension
Status
Psychology Student
The most important part of the math section is learning the ETS tricks. For example, you might get a diagram with something that looks like a right triangle, but doesn't have the little box at the 90' corner. So, it's not necessarily a right triangle and it's pretty likely that the question can't be answered. Most of the algebra can be solved in a few seconds once you know the correct way of approaching the problems. If you find yourself spending more than 30 seconds on any math problem, you're missing something and should check your strategy.

For vocab, don't try to memorize. Instead, try multiple levels of encoding; use each word in a question about someone you know, in a statement about yourself, and in a statement about soemthing you're very familiar with (so, NOT "Dad's car is antidiluvian," but "Dad's car was so antidiluvian that the Penguin couple used it to get to Noah"*)

*This is a very, very funny joke if you know the root of
"antidiluvian."
I love it! LOL I now have another word to add to my vocab knowledge.

Minnesotan4PsyD

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2009
Kentucky
Status

For vocab, don't try to memorize. Instead, try multiple levels of encoding; use each word in a question about someone you know, in a statement about yourself, and in a statement about soemthing you're very familiar with (so, NOT "Dad's car is antidiluvian," but "Dad's car was so antidiluvian that the Penguin couple used it to get to Noah"*)

*This is a very, very funny joke if you know the root of "antidiluvian."
It would have been even more impressive if you spelled it correctly. :p AntEdiluvian.

psychmath924

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Status
Psychology Student
I'm sure you're a smart guy and don't need to worry about it. you're obviously motivated enough to start studying for the GRE so you are motivated to bring any score up, as well :)

thewesternsky

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
Status
Post Doc
HopefulPsych: I would re-take, unless spending the money means that you won't be able to eat or pay rent in October or something. There's probably still some room for improvement in your practice score before the test date. Also, from my experience (as long as you're not too nervous), real GRE scores tend to be higher than practice scores, so you may be able to score 1400+... Definitely worth it if you're applying to any of the really research-focused programs. Possibly slightly less worth it for programs with lower mean GRE scores, but it still can't hurt and might help. :)

Last edited:

dd123

10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2008
Status
I bombed my first practice test too. It's to be expected if you've not cracked the material yet. It's about practice.

73BARMYPgsp

Post Doc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Ft. Gordon, GA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just a thought for maybe another thread? If one can study/practice for the GRE and bring their scores up by such a huge margin (AFTER graduating from college), what good was it? Or, what good was college? We all did it (bought books, took practice exams, etc) and increased our scores. For me, that was 6 years ago so I feel your pain. However, is the GRE simply another part of the "suck" that everyone has to go through to prove that they really want it, or does it measure something that you needed to obtain during that extremely important year between about 21-22 years old while you were a junior in college? (Read sarcastically).

OP
P

Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Psychology Student
Thank you all for the advice and encouragement!

Just a follow up- I studied about 30 minutes more and took another online practice test and scored 300 points better. I'm hoping this means if I study a lot more I can get a decent score that makes me at least somewhat competitive. :)

knowing

toes squeezing the edge
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2009
in a state of ascension
Status
Psychology Student
Do that hear that meowing? Thats me the scaredy cat who rescheduled for September....LOL:laugh::laugh:

psyed4clinPhD

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Psychology
Do that hear that meowing? Thats me the scaredy cat who rescheduled for September....LOL:laugh::laugh:

LOL - I just rescheduled mine for October and broke down and hired a tutor to teach me math! You are not alone - I am freaking out about having time to study for this exam :(

knowing

toes squeezing the edge
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2009
in a state of ascension
Status
Psychology Student
LOL - I just rescheduled mine for October and broke down and hired a tutor to teach me math! You are not alone - I am freaking out about having time to study for this exam :(
Im in the trenches with you. I am going to hire a tutor as well.:xf:;)