So I'm not that great with math..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fishey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year student at a university and during my freshman year, I got a C in statistics and a D in calculus. I know I am going to retake calculus for sure over the summer. But would it be a waste of time to retake statistics as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools 'recommend' statistics. My intuition tells me that this may become a pre-req for these schools soon. A C will definitely weigh down your cumulative GPA, but I do not think any schools use statistics in any science GPA calculations right now. I'd think about where your GPA is now and where you see it realistically going in the future. If you are confident that this is your last C and D, I would say maybe put it behind you. If you predict you will struggle with the upper level courses, you might want to retake it to help pad your GPA. Assuming you have the time/funds to do so. Stats was tough but I found that doing the math over and over again until it was routine helped me out a great deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats would ABSOLUTELY be useful if you intend on doing research in your career. I have a couple of C's in classes (science pre-reqs to be exact...:smack:). My school doesn't allow retakes unless you flat out fail, so I don't have the option to repeat currently. But if I am unsuccessful this cycle, I will be repeating those courses for sure. A C does not look good, but if you can make up for it with a great app and great grades in your other classes, I wouldn't waste the money.

I am not great with math either. I get As and Bs in everything else, but I've gotten the occasional C in math. You're not alone, you just have to work to keep your cumulative up. I am taking stats next quarter, and hoping it goes well! It is a pre-req for WSU, I'm not sure about what other schools its a pre-req for. If you have time, I'd say retake. If you don't have time and your cumulative is good, then i wouldn't bother. Good luck!