So now that is over, what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was a horrible test taking experience for me.

I think I missed 15 questions in PS, 10 in VR and 15-18 in BS

Any guesses on what that translates to??

Members don't see this ad.

depends completely on how everyone else did... congrates, you're done! now enjoy the rest of your weekend!

TripleDegree said:
This was a horrible test taking experience for me.

I think I missed 15 questions in PS, 10 in VR and 15-18 in BS

Any guesses on what that translates to??

=you'll be fine and don't worry b/c nothins gonna change. Don't allow the questions you missed to grow and fester inside your brain for the next two months. You'll be miserable. I'd say to got a 30-34, but that's based on no specific knowledge on my part.

Wow, that is very good performance. I if I reiterate your statement, then I would be biting my own tongue.

For me:
PS= missed 20-30
VR= missed 20-30
BS= missed 20.

Would be happy with a 30.

Seriously.

Members don't see this ad :)
30's a good score. I'm sure you did fine Nuel. You're too hard on yourself.

jonb12997 said:
depends completely on how everyone else did... congrates, you're done! now enjoy the rest of your weekend!

I thought the MCAT was pre-scaled? So if it is, it can't depend on the present pool of takers but on the past, I guess. otherwise there wouldn't be experimental section.

I think the passage on preference of echinoderms by sand dollar and sea biscuit crabs was an experimental passage? Any takes.

Nuel said:
I thought the MCAT was pre-scaled? So if it is, it can't depend on the present pool of takers but on the past, I guess. otherwise there wouldn't be experimental section.

I think the passage on preference of echinoderms by sand dollar and sea biscuit crabs was an experimental passage? Any takes.

AAAARRRGHHH don't remind me of those damn crabs again please ...

:eek:

NOT THE CRABS!!!

I don't know how I feel really. We'll see in June (anyone know the date we get scores back)

JohnDO said:
NOT THE CRABS!!!

I don't know how I feel really. We'll see in June (anyone know the date we get scores back)

They'll tell you on the thx system page at the aamc website.

It wasn't on my test. You're in the clear.

Or how do the experimental sections work? Does everyone take the same test minus several experimental sections?

Nuel said:

hmm, so we had the same form??? I had CT. Did yours have that miserable orgo passage?

the one that was like X=O or X=S, Y=-CH2CH3 blah blah blah

Members don't see this ad :)
Cerberus said:

That passage wasn't that bad it was time consuming though, did you have the passage that asked ?What pre-biological assumption did the scientist make concerning a gas or something??

i put down the answer to that question as "that Compound A and cyanide(?) were present." or something like that

indyzx said:
i put down the answer to that question as "that Compound A and cyanide(?) were present." or something like that

Yah, I put that too, but then I changed my mind and put C????

i had CG and I had that crabs and that orgo passage...Dam them crabs...argh...i got the compound A and CN answer too...by deduction...it was like a puzzle...I think i hope i get a 10...

That orgo passage was crazy...I couldnt see how it worked...especially the one that told you to substitube z=O etc. too time consuming for me...cuz you substitute it then see how it reacts with each other...ajihrtgesoihvtorshgsrhrsynhb :mad:

Form AG

PS: I was cruising along, doing just fine. Then the proctor called out 45 minutes... it was all downhill from there. It was terrible.

V: it was okay... anything would have been good after that PS section! I have no idea how I did, though

BS: tough, tough, tough.

PS basically set the negative tone for the entire day.

Nuel said:

I don't know if it was experimental but it was the one that gave me the hardest time. It was not hard just confusing. What did you put for one with greatest selective pressure? Can someone please PM me the answer. thanks

Form BH...

PS....decent.... :thumbup:
VR...uh come agian? didnt' know wth I was reading :thumbdown:
BS...decent... Retinoblastoma! YAH! :thumbup:

overall...it sucked and was kinda hard :thumbdown:

This test may have permanently scarred me. I was just outside, directing a guy where to dump a load of gravel for my new driveway... watching the hydraulics lift the bed of the tractor trailer.... gravel didn't budge at first... and all i could think was... that's some SERIOUS COEFFICIENT OF FRICTION!! Then i thought of the PE... and as it started to slide... translation into KE.

fudge. that test didn't have any of the stuff i really KNEW. (or am i kidding myself... do i REALLY "Know" anything??? probably not).

Nuel buddy,

glad to see you that you feel good about it. I got the crabs too and could not decide which ones showed a greater preference...

I think I really got screwed over...all those mitochondrial uncouplers, all those laminar streamlines, all those hormones in the adrenal cortex..NONE of it put to use.

You know sometimes you don't really know how you did, and then you get your score and you've done so much worse than you thought possible. I think thats what's gonna happen to me.

PS= who knows.
VR= i could have been reading Martian as far as im concerned.
BS= OK. we just covered retinoblastomas in molecular and the bacteria that causes lime's disease in micro.
Writing= i kicked a$$. to bad the adcoms really dont care too much about though.

itook AG by the way. i will probably be shelling out another $190 to aamc this summer though.

Cerberus said:
I hope the sand dollar passage wasnt experimental...i wasted way too much time on it (and think i got it mostly right).

so which one felt selective pressure after the final observation?

I picked the answer that dealt with the reproductive life or something like that. That was a pretty tricky passage.

Cerberus said:
hmm, so we had the same form??? I had CT. Did yours have that miserable orgo passage?

Nah, I got form Dk. But I also got the same orgo passage you referred to. I thought the passage was doable. But PS, arrrgggghhhh, kicked me so bad. VR sorta sucked midway with those passages with 10 questions.

For the PS I wasn't expecting that much computation. I mean, PS has always been my very strength. My intelligence was definitely called into question yeserday.

Persistence101 said:
so which one felt selective pressure after the final observation?

I went with the sand dollar crabs because they died out the most during the adjustment...I figured that if few crabs died that there was less stress on the population and hence less selective pressure. Kind of a "when the going gets tough, the tough get going (and the weak ones bite the coral)" thing.

Am I the only one who like the crab passage?

Form CG and I like PY, VR was the hardest I've had yet but because of CONSISTENT practice test results I feel good about predicting my VR score as a 12 or 13, and I thought the bio section was pretty good. Overall I thought it was way easier than the Kaplan tests and just like the AAMC tests (go figure).

safariwagon said:
I went with the sand dollar crabs because they died out the most during the adjustment...I figured that if few crabs died that there was less stress on the population and hence less selective pressure. Kind of a "when the going gets tough, the tough get going (and the weak ones bite the coral)" thing.

Wait...was it the sand dollar crabs that died out or was it the sea biscuit? The sea biscuit experiment was the first graph, rigiht? I thought the passage stated that half the sea biscuit died? I'm confused

Persistence101 said:
Wait...was it the sand dollar crabs that died out or was it the sea biscuit? The sea biscuit experiment was the first graph, rigiht? I thought the passage stated that half the sea biscuit died? I'm confused

The SD crabs died during the initial preference test, so they had the greatest selective pressure. I think I am remembering now.

Nuel said:
The SD crabs died during the initial preference test, so they had the greatest selective pressure. I think I am remembering now.

This was mentioned in the passage, right? But I thought the passage stated that half the sea biscuits died? Which graph was the SD crabs? First or second?

Yeah, I thought it was pretty rough...I felt okay about PS and VR, but BS kicked my butt. I don't completely remember the specifics of the crabs passage, but I know I said that the ones that 1/2 died during the adjustment period or whatever they called it felt the most selective pressure. Well, I'm probably joining the August MCATers too. Maybe we all did better than we think though b/c I haven't heard anyone saying they felt good about it. Hang in there guys!

Persistence101 said:
This was mentioned in the passage, right? But I thought the passage stated that half the sea biscuits died? Which graph was the SD crabs? First or second?

No clue, I think the graph only showed the percentage of echinoderms that were chosen by the test crabs . . . I'm confused already. Nursing my wounds for August. It's all good.

My quote of the day for essay #1: "Politicians are like dirty diapers, and need to be changed for the same reasons." Haha I figured you guys needed a laugh after April MCAT.. =) I had the FM version and the Bio was a lot harder than I expected.. Probably because I'm a physio major and it was all immunity/genetics!! I probably had 4 Neuro/physio questions - my specialty!! But that's the way the cookie crumbles, eh??? As for physical, it wasn't too bad, although hardly any chemistry. Mainly physics stuff. What was up with an 11 question verbal passage? I think we had TWO of them?!?!! Can't remember... Anyhow, I feel pretty bad about the whole thing, hopefully the curve is low for the test. Check it out: I got mixed up on my stopwatch on PS and thought I had about 10 minutes left to start bubbling in my answers... The proctor calls out: 5 MINUTES REMAINING and I FREAKED out!!! I hadn't even started bubbling in the answers!!! I tell you, I was probably a blur for the next 4.70 minutes trying to get everything bubbled in. To make things worse, I skipped one and had to erase a bunch to make sure everything corresponded with my answers!! OMG, talk about a heart attack... My fight or flight response DEFINITELY kicked in. hahhaa... other FM'ers are you out there?!?!? APRIL 2004 FM version