SO stressed :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berriesandcream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I was lurking around MDapplicants, and could I feel any more EC challenged? I still have a ways to go; i'm going to apply for the class of 2016.

But, I was hoping someone could look over and advise me on my Ecs.

**Since I have three more yeas before graduation, these are tentative**

--CCE program +240hours by next summer (Clinical internship with direct patient interaction ie. taking vitals and performing CNA type tasks)
--SHadowed a Pediatrician 50hours
--Shadowed a GI doctor +50hours (and observed colonoscopies)
--Tutored at a middle school 20 hours
--Research, right now 50 hours, but hoping to keep for all years.
--Worked for recruitment at school for 2 quarters.
--Hoping to land a TA position
--CPR certified
--Hope to et EMT certified next year.
--Run a marathon a year
--I'm an unofficial baker; bake for people I know and their events. NOT A JOB.
--Love to workout. lost 30 pounds all on my own :)
--Misc hours with cleanups, volunteer positions, etc.
--Christmas Toy Drive for Loma Linda Children's Hospital.
--Various clubs on campus :)
--My parents are part of a group where i' the oldest, so I'm a rolemodel/mentor for these high school girls. I tutor them, talk to them about life and college, etc.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

does that mean, "hey CALM DOWN, you stress for no reason?"

thennnn....that's a bit tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is sort of the E.C. equivalent of the "I have a 3.9/35, What are my chances?" threads...

i think u shud get some yogurt with berries

this is sort of the E.C. equivalent of the "I have a 3.9/35, What are my chances?" threads...

This sort of made my day since I do NOT have a 35 nor a 3.9 :)

Swear it's not bragging, more like a, "i do not believe in myself enough so I look on MDapplicants and wish I had their application" question.

If you do ECs you are truly interested, you will be less stressful.

If you do ECs you are truly interested, you will be less stressful.

That's what I figured because allll my ECs came from personal choice, not driven to get into med school. Then I see these people with lists that are twice my size, and that leads me to think, should I do what I love, or what I think XYZ school will love?

Members don't see this ad :)
donno how you're gonna do all that consistently but i guess if its broken up, its all good..

and what does being female have to do with preferring ice cream :confused: :confused: :confused:

yes :) thats the most important piece of advice. do the things you love!

That's what I figured because allll my ECs came from personal choice, not driven to get into med school. Then I see these people with lists that are twice my size, and that leads me to think, should I do what I love, or what I think XYZ school will love?

You should do what you love and medical schools will show you some love in the end.

Lets go get some Ice Cream and we can talk about ECs ;)

Are you serious?!? Do you want to go to Harvard or JHU? Because your EC's are better than mine and I already have one acceptance from a really good school.

Are you serious?!? Do you want to go to Harvard or JHU? Because your EC's are better than mine and I already have one acceptance from a really good school.

Sounds interesting. Would you mind to share your ECs?

My ECs sucked but I still made it into med school.

Research for one year
internship at a hospital for one semester
volunteered in the ER for 3+ years
Tutoring/teaching

Yeah that's it.

Research for one year
Tutoring/teaching

Yeah that's it.

Is your dad the head of Department of Health and Human Services? :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm a CA resident, so it's a bit stressful :/ But I mean, my goal is a good school, Harvard or John Hopkins would be nice, but I want it to have SOME prestige :)

And you did 3 years in the ER? that's awesome, hectic, but nice :)

if you don't mind me asking, what school did you get into?

donno how you're gonna do all that consistently but i guess if its broken up, its all good..

and what does being female have to do with preferring ice cream :confused: :confused: :confused:

Well, We do have 24 hours in a day, and I have a few years, so even like two hours a day tutoring a bunch of 12 year olds, does add up.

Nope my family has no connections. But I did have a good MCAT score and GPA.

Congratulations! It is certainly true that anyone can succeed without family connections.

Honestly, if you had one per the 3 categories:

Research, Volunteering, and leadership, that you are VERY dedicated to, then you are good, never had an interviewer ask more than that (if they did it's very brief, but focuses on things you realllly dedicate yourself to)

Honestly, if you had one per the 3 categories:

Research, Volunteering, and leadership, that you are VERY dedicated to, then you are good, never had an interviewer ask more than that (if they did it's very brief, but focuses on things you realllly dedicate yourself to)

oh okay, and leadership is like holding positions in clubs and stuff, right? Well, i don't want them to think that i'm not med school material. I am a dedicated person, so i doubt i'd mind if they asked me questions specific to my activities :)

oh okay, and leadership is like holding positions in clubs and stuff, right? Well, i don't want them to think that i'm not med school material. I am a dedicated person, so i doubt i'd mind if they asked me questions specific to my activities :)
9cyPFQbgCqi5nyltZC14CvQQo1_500.jpg

be cool.

Research for one year
Tutoring/teaching

Yeah that's it.

thanks for giving me hope lol

i probably have half of what u got right now...hopefully by the end of junior year i'll come somewhere near you lol

You're in good shape. To those who don't have such an array of activities - my impression was always that med schools want to see that you do something with passion and committment. They don't want you to come to med school and drop out like they might see with some other activities on your EC list. Good luck!