So those who failed! are they out of residency competiton?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering, now that the part-1 results are out. i was wondering for those people who failed. what are there options. i dont mean to sound "mean" just bcoz i passed. but i was wondering if they will still be in competition with us when it comes to get rotations/externships or even residency. Do program directors prefer students who passed in 1st attempt (does it even appear in the transcript that person took exam 2nd or 3rd time).

considering the fact that there is residency shortage. i was thinking this exam to be a very big deal. just want to know what senior students and residents think about this?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the residency program. Some absolutely require pt1 passage first attempt for the clerkship and will check your board pass letter to make sure it's for the exam in July of 2nd year. In the pencil and scantron days, you could always just say you got off on your numbering and failed by fluke. Now, with computer, that doesn't hold water. However, some don't require board pass letter on clerkship app, and by CASPR app, most won't even notice/know... they just want to see you passed. Since, re-takes are in Oct, and by CASPR time, most everyone has passed.

Congrats on doing well on the exam. Do you know where you plan to apply for clerkships?

It depends on the residency program. Some absolutely require pt1 passage first attempt for the clerkship and will check your board pass letter to make sure it's for the exam in July of 2nd year. In the pencil and scantron days, you could always just say you got off on your numbering and failed by fluke. Now, with computer, that doesn't hold water. However, some don't require board pass letter on clerkship app, and by CASPR app, most won't even notice/know... they just want to see you passed. Since, re-takes are in Oct, and by CASPR time, most everyone has passed.

Congrats on doing well on the exam. Do you know where you plan to apply for clerkships?

thanks. im thinking of visiting programs in Florida and Michican. i cudnt remember the name but one of the program im really interested in is in Jacksonville.

i was gonna msg you later in august to ask more about good programs in florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked out new updated 2010 caspr directory and found out theres at least 20 new residency programs are added.. :D
http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/directory.asp

Is this for real??? I thought it takes at least 2 years to develop a new residency program. congrats to everyone who passed their part 1. :thumbup:

I just got back from the APMSA meeting in Toronto. As of the last COTH meeting in May, it was reported that all CASPR applicants will be required to report the date and score (pass or fail) for each time they took the NBPME Part I exam.

If someone did not take the exam the first time they were eligible, they are allowed to explain why they did not (ie: were having their child etc) otherwise it is assumed that they failed the first attempt. Passing on the first attempt is more important than when the first attempt took place.

People who failed Part I will still be able to get a residency spot, especially since that is a year away. But it may make it more difficult now that they have to report that they failed on their first attempt.

gosh what a cruel profession this is becoming....asking "are they in competition with us anymore" as if "us" who passed boards are so much better now haha...it's funny b/c those of "us" who passed maybe have passed by 1 or 2 points and "them" who failed may have failed by 1 point...either way, you pass congrats, if not you are nowhere near "out of competition"....please! I did fine on the boards myself but just hate particularly how some people who may not be the smartest, who may sometimes be jerks and have not worked very hard the 2 years preceeding the boards are now so superior haha...whatever, just worry about yourself and let yourself shine. Residency is not all a numbers game and with an attitude like "are they in competition with us" and worrying about others, you may run into a few problems. With that being said, we should all support our peers and strive for almost 100% pass rate for all 3rd year podiatry students (making it that far shows a little about a person). congrats to all those who passed and good luck to everyones future!

Whiskers: nice message due thumbs up...am getting really sick of those cut-throat people at school...makes me puke!!!!!!!!!!!

Most residency directors that I've met, and I've applied to over 50 programs in the past, do NOT CARE if you Pass or Fail your boards. When I graduated long ago it was a total shock when I was over looked for a residency program. My colleagues and I watched as the worst students in school and the students involved with illegal drugs were being accepted to amazing programs. Our jaws dropped. It was shocking to say the least. Many of the best students in my graduating class scrambled, for more than 1 year. Go thru CASPR a few times and you start to see how crooked it all is. You guys need to get a LOT MORE programs started or you'll be screwed like I was.

If I heard right, in the past you didn't have to pass boards part 1 AT ALL to get a residency. But the rules have changed recently and now you MUST pass part 1 so it does matter if you passed or not. I don't know if it matters if you pass the first time or not but I'm just saying that was an interesting rule change lately.

Most residency directors that I've met, and I've applied to over 50 programs in the past, do NOT CARE if you Pass or Fail your boards. When I graduated long ago it was a total shock when I was over looked for a residency program. My colleagues and I watched as the worst students in school and the students involved with illegal drugs were being accepted to amazing programs. Our jaws dropped. It was shocking to say the least. Many of the best students in my graduating class scrambled, for more than 1 year. Go thru CASPR a few times and you start to see how crooked it all is. You guys need to get a LOT MORE programs started or you'll be screwed like I was.

I went through all the 3 year programs on CASPR/CRIP and of them ~95% require passing of boards. Passage of the boards is required for graduation at almost all the school as well. I think things have hopefully changed for the better over the years.