So what do you think. Do adcoms check myspace, facebook, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyways, another thing I'd like to point out that also creeps me out. Try to delete your Facebook account.

Yeah, I think I read a NYTimes article about how it's impossible or something.

Members don't see this ad.

granted that you probably dont want any ridiculous partying pics on facebook...what if you just had pics holding a beer or a cup or something? we're not talking about funnels or anything intense. would adcoms or student interviewers (forget the ******ed corporation employers) really care if its that minimal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, they check all this ****. At least some of them do. I know this to be a fact.

Probably has no bearing on their decisions though, unless there is something incredibly stupid on there. Probably more just out of curiosity.

I am guessing that the student members of an adcom would be more likely to check... and most likely probably would have a peak!

nalalala

You can't be serious. :rolleyes:

Do you think doctors on admissions committees are going to be surfing facebook during adcom meetings. :lol:

no. But there are student reps to Ad coms, and some of them do. I know of one who does.

Please. You'd be naive to think this has any bearing on admissions. Your friend is probably just surfing for sleezy hookups. Next.

Please. You'd be naive to think this has any bearing on admissions. Your friend is probably just surfing for sleezy hookups. Next.

Wait? I have to be naive to think that the member of the adcom who told me, face to face, that he HAS looked for people on facebook and myspace actually used the information he found to make a yes or no decision? I am sure my "friend" would love the insult you have dished to him. I'm beginning to think your sole purpose for posting on these threads is to irritate and SDN looks down on that.

Wait? I have to be naive to think that the member of the adcom who told me, face to face, that he HAS looked for people on facebook and myspace actually used the information he found to make a yes or no decision? I am sure my "friend" would love the insult you have dished to him. I'm beginning to think your sole purpose for posting on these threads is to irritate and SDN looks down on that.

Nope. I'm just not being a paranoid pre-med and buying into myspace and facebook being discussed in adcom meetings. :scared:

my favorite troll pic

header.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. I'm just not being a paranoid pre-med and buying into myspace and facebook being discussed in adcom meetings. :scared:

and also extremely annoying. Look. no one is saying EVERY member of EVERY adcom is looking. The fact of the matter is, at least one person on one adcom is. Does it happen, yes. Just because they are doctors doesn't mean they wouldn't take advantage of something available to them to aide them in decision making.

The Assistant Director of Admissions at UAMS is a member of the UAMS Class of 2012 Facebook group, for whatever that's worth. I'd say it's fairly clear that at least some adcom members browse Facebook.

Of course the student interviewers look at Facebook and Myspace and possibly adcoms do too (but I bet they just have their student helpers do the digging). Who wouldn't use every resource they can to understand an applicant? Some of us have some very good information on our facebook pages that show our hearts, minds and interests - its a visit into the depths of our personalities. Its also a good way for interviewers to find some commonality and conversation starters. I am sure they do Google searches as well.

Its actually fun to see who got accepted where and then check the Facebook class page to see if you can figure-out the real person behind SDN when new faces join class groups. Its also a good way to see who might be potential classmates. Its a resouce, we use it, don't expect that they don't.

A good way to judge your facebook page is to ask yourself "what would my mother think?" If she'd be okay, then your okay; thats assuming our moms are not drunken druggie party-loving sluts :laugh:.

You guys have to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, we're all vouyers - "its a new world Goldie"!

I dont know just in case, before hitting submit, i am gonna load pictures of me with a lab coat doing experiments, me hugging little kids at the hospital, me running in an HIV/AIDS awareness marathon. I gonna load my page with inspiering quotes and i ll try to photoshop a picture of my with scrubs giving cpr to someone :D

All I know is that if I get accepted and become a student interviewer, I'm definitely going to look up students on Facebook.

All I know is that if I get accepted and become a student interviewer, I'm definitely going to look up students on Facebook.

+1. i want the chicks who put out coming to my school.

I really wish that whoever accepted [insert celebrity name here] to the UF school of medicine for 2008 had looked at his Facebook profile pic before accepting him...without an MCAT!

Some things just kind of get me. He looks like he's naked in his pic.

damn i don't have a facebook or a myspace.

i guess i should create fake one making me look like an angel... link it to a xanga (or whatever you kids use these days) that reads: dear readers, i rescued another baby from a burning building today...

then i'll have about 40 "friends" who all leave comments thanking me about various acts of kindness (e.g "thank isoprop for delivering my baby while simultaneously fighting crime while fixing my car. you'll make a great doctor.")

screw studying for the mcat!!!!

I dont see how they would have the resources/time

As a former adcom member I can tell you with 100% certainty that some adcom members check Facebook, Myspace, SDN, etc. This isn't something that I personally did on a regular basis, but if I happened to recognize someone from something stupid that they posted online you bet it factored into how I voted on them at the committee meeting.

It's just commonsense to not put things online that are embarrassing or that make you look foolish, like a jerk, etc. You have no idea who is looking at what you post and how it can come back to bite you in the end.

As a former adcom member I can tell you with 100% certainty that some adcom members check Facebook, Myspace, SDN, etc. This isn't something that I personally did on a regular basis, but if I happened to recognize someone from something stupid that they posted online you bet it factored into how I voted on them at the committee meeting.

It's just commonsense to not put things online that are embarrassing or that make you look foolish, like a jerk, etc. You have no idea who is looking at what you post and how it can come back to bite you in the end.
thank you!!! So its officiall....yes they check

Love the smilies. How do I make them?

Use the "Post Reply" button at the end of the thread to post your message. On the right hand side of the message box, you will see smilies. You can click any of them & they will show up in your message. There are additional smilies under the "more" link at the bottom of the Smiley section.

You won't have the option of using them if you use the "Quick Reply" to messages.

I call shenanigans.

The Dean of Admissions of a well-known, top-tier medical school in the U.S. came to speak at my college a month ago and stated straight out that they definitely do check Facebook (she said the medical schools have all started catching on to it) and told us a pretty incredible story:
The admissions committee was poised to accept a certain student, and were even considering granting him a partial scholarship, when they decided to check Facebook just to be sure.
She said that what they saw there caused them to "seriously question his judgment," and they ultimately rejected him from the medical school entirely.

The moral of the story: Don't be stupid. Accept the fact that whatever you put online is being placed in a public domain and will most likely be seen at some point by a future employee/adcom member/whoever. So in the interests of not shooting yourself in the foot, don't put up pictures or comments that will reflect negatively on any aspect of your character.
Just my two cents.

Oh f***.

Please God Almighty do not let them ask for my SDN screenname.