So what don't you like about optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ljette

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read SDN a lot, but just joined today. I got accepter to SUNYOPT for the class of 2012, but I read a lot of negative posts regarding optometry lately. Basically I'm not sure if optometry is really right for me, and it's about time I made that decision.

So again, I read all of these negative things about optometry, but they aren't very specific. A lot of people say "I should have become and MD..." Why do you feel that way? No profession is perfect. A lot of MDs work 60hr+ weeks and don't have time for a real family. Sure the average MD makes more than the average OD, but money doesn't get you very far if you can't spend time with loved ones?

I do understand that money is important, I'm absolutely terrified of the loans I will be taken out roughly...now.

Is it respect, etc.?

Tell specifically what is wrong with optometry, and answer this along the way: Do you truly regret optometry? What would you have done otherwise? Would you have gotten an MD, become a PA, etc.? Or do you wish that you had gotten a job out of college instead of pursuing an advanced degree (that's the other option I am considering).

I'm sorry to start a thread that is ultimately going to lead to negative responses, since they are already abundant on SDN, but I feel like people's gripes are uninformative. I'd like to really know what's wrong with optometry, and what's a better option (if any...which I kind of hope not).

You can send me a private message if you want too.

Members don't see this ad.

Search function?

There have been many posts that have covered this topic (and they are specific)....no offense, but it really starts to get redundant when you see the same topic threads being started over and over.......do yourself a favor, and go to the search feature on this site.....good luck :thumbup:

Search function?

There have been many posts that have covered this topic (and they are specific)....no offense, but it really starts to get redundant when you see the same topic threads being started over and over.......do yourself a favor, and go to the search feature on this site.....good luck :thumbup:

Second that!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there are a lot of optometry bashing posts, but that's not exactly what I want. I'm looking for some actual help.

I don't want to hear ODs saying they would rather be MDs, I want to know why.

I'm also very curious to hear if any would have chosen getting a job out of college over being and OD.

I'm not an idiot, I know how to search, but that isn't helping right now, that's all.

Optometry is a wonderful profession. You truly help people see better and whatever else may need medical attention and you are authorized to use your knowledge and certified to help them you can. Working for others in any mode of practice- retail, private practice, clinic, hospital, etc......you will earn a decent living and be comftable but you'll never attain wealth by practicing Optometry only. Ther are tons of jobs that pay much more.
If you are good in business and can run an office whether you buy an existing one or start one you can make alot of money. Much more than being employed by others. BUT, this is no guarantee. I've met opticians back in the days who set up shop, hired OD's and these people made a killing. And there not even doctors just opticians.
Respect- there will be days you enjoy every patient and they will appreciate your services and then you'll have days where you will have nasty patients. No respect towards you, talking on their cell while you are examing them, the managers with GED's will boss you around, it's all money for them.
I enjoyed it but there are days I wish I could roll back the clock and take my mcat'S AND APPLY TO MED SCHOOL. No matter how great an optometrist you might turn out to be, you are still an optometrist. many people will not consider you as a real doctor no matter how much you know and how much you have helped them. Perception is reality for them. We all know that is not always the case.
Decide for yourself. Choose wisley. Make sure this is what you want. OD school is NOT a piece of cake. I guarantee you this.
All the Best

I know there are a lot of optometry bashing posts, but that's not exactly what I want. I'm looking for some actual help.

I don't want to hear ODs saying they would rather be MDs, I want to know why.

I'm also very curious to hear if any would have chosen getting a job out of college over being and OD.

I'm not an idiot, I know how to search, but that isn't helping right now, that's all.

Read KHE's posts. (and you're gonna have to use the search function for that)

Check out my Naive OD students thread as well.

No matter how great an optometrist you might turn out to be, you are still an optometrist. many people will not consider you as a real doctor no matter how much you know and how much you have helped them. Perception is reality for them. We all know that is not always the case.
Decide for yourself. Choose wisley. Make sure this is what you want. OD school is NOT a piece of cake. I guarantee you this.
All the Best

I'd say this is great advice, but I differ with the above poster in regards to the issue of r-e-s-p-e-c-t. I would NOT advise you to apply to med school (or any profession, for that matter) in order to try and boost your "respect level." As far as I can tell, you're going to be disrespected no matter how high or low in life you go. There will always be someone better then you. Hell, you could even campaign your butt off and become the president of the United States...but, I think you're probably aware of how that's going for the current occupier of what could arguably be considered our most prestigious job position. You will be respected as an OD, as an MD, or even as a janitor or chiropractor if you carry yourself well. I'm sure there will always be patients out there who will question their doctor's credentials, and that holds true for MDs as well as everybody else. Some people feel like they're on top of things by "asking for a 2nd opinion" or "making sure you're not a quack."

I'd say this is great advice, but I differ with the above poster in regards to the issue of r-e-s-p-e-c-t. I would NOT advise you to apply to med school (or any profession, for that matter) in order to try and boost your "respect level." As far as I can tell, you're going to be disrespected no matter how high or low in life you go. There will always be someone better then you. Hell, you could even campaign your butt off and become the president of the United States...but, I think you're probably aware of how that's going for the current occupier of what could arguably be considered our most prestigious job position. You will be respected as an OD, as an MD, or even as a janitor or chiropractor if you carry yourself well. I'm sure there will always be patients out there who will question their doctor's credentials, and that holds true for MDs as well as everybody else. Some people feel like they're on top of things by "asking for a 2nd opinion" or "making sure you're not a quack."

I completely agree....Respect is such a subjective perception...what one finds to have a respectable career, another finds it to be the complete opposite....As long as you are content with what your doing in life...that's all that really matters.....There's more important things to worry about in life rather than worrying yourself to sleep about whether so-and-so has respect for what you do....who really cares!

P.S.- Respect is not going to pay your bills at the end of the day.

I agree completely as well. That's part of what I'm trying to get to I guess. There are so many negative comments out there, and I'm trying to figure out if they are commenting for reasons that don't apply to me... or if they have some genuine gripes I should be concerned about.

I've always felt that as long as you're doing your job as best as possible, you've earned respect no matter what. So if respect was people's only gripe with optometry I'd jump in with both feet. I also feel that a lot of people want more money. That's valid, I guess you can't have too much, but I ask at what cost does the money come. I see a lot of people saying they wish they had become MDs, but I really feel like most MDs are pretty miserable with their jobs (and if you press them a bit, they will tell you the same thing). Overworked, disgruntled patients, insurance companies, etc. etc.

Is there anyone out there who is an OD and wished they hadn't gotten an advanced degree at all? As in BS vs OD, not MD vs OD. Does anyone wish they had started working instead of continuing with school? Because that is kind of where I am at right now. If you can't tell, I'm freaking out a bit as well.

Ther are tons of jobs that pay much more.

Not to single out you hello07, but Im not sure why OD's are always talking about the optometry incomes like, "Im doing ok, but I couldnt buy that jet I had my eye on".... I know $100K-150K isnt everything, but you can live comfortably most places in US as an OD. I know because me and my wife are doing that now with our combined income. If there are tons of jobs that pay more then there are tons x tons x tons x ect that dont pay as well as optometry since most OD's are in the top income bracket. Many CEO's and Vice Presidents of large organizations that are maing 6 figures +, worked very hard to get there, and longer than the 4 years it takes to get an OD degree. Not to mention all of the politics, and bu*t kissing it takes to get there and stay there! This is where another pro to optometry comes into play - low stress lifestyle.

If you are not committed to optometry take some time to figure out what you are committed to. I graduated college in 2001, and until recently I didnt know what that was for me. Working in the "Real World" gave me a chance to figure out what I wanted, and now its easy for me to work towards my goal. I cant imagine going through 4 yrs of OD school not being sold on it as my future profession. That sounds like hell to me!

Another point about money, even if you make alot you will always want more, and just because you are an MD does not mean you will be satisfied.

I was talking to a family practice MD last week. I said, oh thats great, how do you like that area of Medicine. Her 1st response was........(drumroll)........NOT ENOUGH MONEY!

Family medicine? Try asking radiologists or retinal surgeons or dermatologists how they like that area of medicine. They will smile at you. job satisfaction and "laughing all the way to the bank."
You are comparing CEO's and Vice -Presidents of large corpoarations versus our salary? These people are in a different league. You are comparing 2, 5 and 10 million a year against our measely little 100-150. Common'

Members don't see this ad :)
Family medicine? Try asking radiologists or retinal surgeons or dermatologists how they like that area of medicine. They will smile at you. job satisfaction and "laughing all the way to the bank."
You are comparing CEO's and Vice -Presidents of large corpoarations versus our salary? These people are in a different league. You are comparing 2, 5 and 10 million a year against our measely little 100-150. Common'
This is a valid point—their CEO comparisons are a bit over the top, but I think you make the leap to radiology/retinal surgery/dermatology quite conveniently as well. You just rattled of 3 of the absolute most competitive specialties one could choose to pursue in medicine. That's not an option that most people can realistically opt for without setting their sights on it very early on...and no matter who you are, it's going to take a lot of sacrifice to get the grades/resume credentials in med school needed to be the best applicant. Plus, you might not even land the residency that you wanted in the end. In other words, those people are in a different league too. If anybody reading this thinks they can do it, then more power to you. You'd get the lifestyle + extra money. Personally, I'm happy taking a relative pay cut (still in the top tax bracket, as others have mentioned) and living comfortably below my means if it'll get me out in 4 years instead of 8 or 9 depending on how long residency is. I don't think there are any shortcuts.

Actually, I wasn’t talking about companies that large, because that would be ridiculous. I was referencing your post, where you said there are many jobs that pay better. There are not "tons" of corporate execs making 10 mil yr. I was talking about the VPs and high ranking officers of smaller companies that make low 6 figures.

The point I am making is that when anyone compares ODs income to other professions, they need to consider the other factors involved. In business for example, you may eventually get to the position that you had your eye on since graduating with your degree in whatever, but how much time has passed, how many jobs did you have in the meantime that were not rewarding or you flat out hated, office politics, co workers back stabbing for same promotion ect. Then years and years later, once you have finally achieved your goal to be the VP of ___ , do you even enjoy that?

While there are some jobs out there that pay better, 99% do not. Of the 1% of better paying jobs, how many are more enjoyable? If you want to live large, have a house on MTV Cribs, become an investment banker. If you want to live comfortably, help people in a rewarding career, optometry is a good choice.

To original poster, don’t commit to a large school loan, until you are committed to that field. Don’t rush into anything. Any profession you choose will be ridiculed by someone. Take the time to figure out what career will make you happy and then go for that.

Many investment bankers now wish they made 100,000 this year, or still have a job.

Many made 7 figures while their clients lost big.

Maybe you are thinking of hedge fund managers. Investment bankers help companies/people raise money to do their business. They usually serve as liaisons to help businesses find investors/loans/capital to expand/startup/fix internal problems. The success of their clients depend on the clients using that money wisely.

Investment bankers are strongly tied to the economy as when its down, no one needs them and so they are the first fired. In addition, they work everyday all the time. Many of my friends calculate their hourly wage to around 20-30 dollars (including a bonus that may or may not be big). Oh and you are constantly looking for another job as they are always ready to employ new graduates.

Investment banking has high rewards and high risks. Are you willing to give up optometry that while imperfect is still stable? At least you can always work somewhere and feed your family.

Why am I pointing out the negatives? Because my family was full of them and they paid for their Mercedes and big houses with years of stress, late and long hours. If anyone is willing to do that, then by all means, optometry is too easy of a field for you!

StushOD, you are not an optometrist. You are not in optometry school yet. You state" if you want a comfortable living, help people in a rewarding career, optometry is a good choice." How do you know this bro? i am not saying you are 100% wrong or 50% right BUT how do you speak with such authority off the top of your head? Are your parents optometrists or your siblings or relatives?
Can I go on line and make a statement become a radiologist. It's a rewarding career where you make 350,000/ year, reading film and scans and MRI's and little patient contact. How can I say such a thing when I am not a radiologist.
Please, think before you speak man.

Futhermore,
How are all these preoptometry students who have no clue what being in the "majors " is all about and optometry students as well make all these bold statements?
How can you all speak like you've been there, done it and back?
Learn how to crawl before you walk and run. geeeeeeeeeeeee....................

Futhermore,
How are all these preoptometry students who have no clue what being in the "majors " is all about and optometry students as well make all these bold statements?
How can you all speak like you've been there, done it and back?
Learn how to crawl before you walk and run. geeeeeeeeeeeee....................
I think it may have something to do with not going through 3rd year yet. As a 2nd year, I'm just starting to learn to watch what I say b/c I honestly don't really know what I'm talking about yet in clinic. I was doing gonioscopy today and thinking my classmate's angle's closed b/c I can't see TM (low pigment) but I'm looking at normal iris processes into the CB. This is something one starts to learn by experience...I'm claiming to see PVDs on 32 year old patients with normal vitreal strands, and finding lattice in px with circumstantial criss-crossing vortex vasculature. I need to get more sleep at night. Anyways, I think that once you get into clinic you begin to know what you don't know/can't know yet. It kind of sucks b/c there's no way to speed up the process...I can only learn as fast as patients with interesting stuff get in my chair.

StushOD, you are not an optometrist. You are not in optometry school yet. You state" if you want a comfortable living, help people in a rewarding career, optometry is a good choice." How do you know this bro? i am not saying you are 100% wrong or 50% right BUT how do you speak with such authority off the top of your head? Are your parents optometrists or your siblings or relatives?
Can I go on line and make a statement become a radiologist. It's a rewarding career where you make 350,000/ year, reading film and scans and MRI's and little patient contact. How can I say such a thing when I am not a radiologist.
Please, think before you speak man.

Wow! A pre optometry student says a few positive, and in no way specific, things about optometry, and an optometrist jumps him for it? Whatever.

I could point out how you talked about 3 specialties of Medicine a few posts back, but all that is going to do is make you post something, that will make me post..... I have no desire to flex internet muscles with you, buddy. Nothing good comes from it.

StushOD,
I have absolutely nothing to post to your response. Talk words of wisdom. You and every other pre-optom. and optometry student know it all.