So... What should I do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gummyvites

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I took the MCAT on Aug 23rd and won't get the score until Sep 25th.

I have already applied to Texas MD & DO schools, secondary submitted.

Right now I don't know if I should wait until I get my score back to apply AACOMAS or apply ASAP?

I know that DO schools have late deadlines (some are in jan or march of 2013), so if I wait until after Sept 25th to apply (not to waste money if I did poorly), would it be too late? Or would that be a good choice for me?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

you can do the ol' "apply to one mid-low tier school that you really don't care for and pay for that one only until you get your MCAT back." The advantage of this is that you will be in "verification" for a while so when you get your MCAT back, you should be verified and ready to go. Then you just add the rest of the schools you want to attend.

This may/may not increase the total amount of money you have to pay, but I think it is a safer bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
you can do the ol' "apply to one mid-low tier school that you really don't care for and pay for that one only until you get your mcat back." the advantage of this is that you will be in "verification" for a while so when you get your mcat back, you should be verified and ready to go. Then you just add the rest of the schools you want to attend.

This may/may not increase the total amount of money you have to pay, but i think it is a safer bet.

+1.

you can do the ol' "apply to one mid-low tier school that you really don't care for and pay for that one only until you get your MCAT back." The advantage of this is that you will be in "verification" for a while so when you get your MCAT back, you should be verified and ready to go. Then you just add the rest of the schools you want to attend.

This may/may not increase the total amount of money you have to pay, but I think it is a safer bet.

That's a great idea! I've already finished the AACOMAS app, all that's left to do is for me to hit "Pay and Submit". I will definitely consider what you said, thanks so much!

Hit that submit and then...

If you have gobs of free time, make a list of schools you truly interested in and pre-write secondaries.

Late application may already flag you as a "DO-as-an-afterthought" applicant, according to adcoms in 2 nearby schools (they often talk about a second wave of apps in late fall from people who generally failed out of MD cycle -- and these people get a more cautious consideration). So, unles you rocked that MCAT, you will be better off to submit secondaries ASAP after getting scores and hope you will be interviewing for an actual spot instead of a waitlist (see appropriate debates elsewhere).

Hit that submit and then...

If you have gobs of free time, make a list of schools you truly interested in and pre-write secondaries.

Late application may already flag you as a "DO-as-an-afterthought" applicant, according to adcoms in 2 nearby schools (they often talk about a second wave of apps in late fall from people who generally failed out of MD cycle -- and these people get a more cautious consideration). So, unles you rocked that MCAT, you will be better off to submit secondaries ASAP after getting scores and hope you will be interviewing for an actual spot instead of a waitlist (see appropriate debates elsewhere).

Haha Thanks, I don't plan on applying to MD schools so I don't know if that matters. Hopefully I rocked the MCAT!

Also, How could you "pre-write" the secondary essays? Where can I find the secondary essays for each school? (sorry if this is a stupid question).

Haha Thanks, I don't plan on applying to MD schools so I don't know if that matters. Hopefully I rocked the MCAT!

Also, How could you "pre-write" the secondary essays? Where can I find the secondary essays for each school? (sorry if this is a stupid question).

I believe there is a thread for this year's secondaries; you could also go to the first few pages of each school's thread to find them. Prewritng saved me a ton of time.

Hey guys,

I took the MCAT on Aug 23rd and won't get the score until Sep 25th.

I have already applied to Texas MD & DO schools, secondary submitted.

Right now I don't know if I should wait until I get my score back to apply AACOMAS or apply ASAP?

I know that DO schools have late deadlines (some are in jan or march of 2013), so if I wait until after Sept 25th to apply (not to waste money if I did poorly), would it be too late? Or would that be a good choice for me?

Thanks!!!

DO may have later deadlines but DO schools tend to make their decisions earlier and fill their classes earlier than MD schools

and yes yes to all the other advises,,, submit now