So when a conducing loop of wire passes though an external magnetic field

Started by m25
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

m25

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So when a conducing loop of wire passes though an external magnetic field, current is induced. My question is, will the time vs. induced current graph going to look different for a circular vs. recutangular shaped wire? If so, how will they look like?
 
Induced current is proportional to area, not shape.

So I would imagine that the loop of larger area would be shifted up on the current axis by a value proportional to area.
 
Induced current is proportional to area, not shape.

So I would imagine that the loop of larger area would be shifted up on the current axis by a value proportional to area.
But isn't induced current proportional to the change in the area of the wire that's entering the external magnetic field? So I figured a square or rectangular wire loop will have a uniform change in magnetic flux(because of its shape) and thus have constant current, whereas a circular loop will first have increasing magnetic flux and then a decreasing magnetic flux as it enters and leaves the external magnetic field, making the current vs. time graph look like a semicircle.
I've posted a graph of current vs. time for both rectangular and circular loop wire to show you what I mean. Am I on the right track?
 

Attachments

  • I vs t.jpg
    I vs t.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 148