1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

So when a conducing loop of wire passes though an external magnetic field

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by m25, Oct 30, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. m25

m25

May 28, 2014
    So when a conducing loop of wire passes though an external magnetic field, current is induced. My question is, will the time vs. induced current graph going to look different for a circular vs. recutangular shaped wire? If so, how will they look like?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Cawolf

Cawolf 2+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Induced current is proportional to area, not shape.

So I would imagine that the loop of larger area would be shifted up on the current axis by a value proportional to area.

4. m25

m25

May 28, 2014
    But isn't induced current proportional to the change in the area of the wire that's entering the external magnetic field? So I figured a square or rectangular wire loop will have a uniform change in magnetic flux(because of its shape) and thus have constant current, whereas a circular loop will first have increasing magnetic flux and then a decreasing magnetic flux as it enters and leaves the external magnetic field, making the current vs. time graph look like a semicircle.
    I've posted a graph of current vs. time for both rectangular and circular loop wire to show you what I mean. Am I on the right track?

Attached Files: