So where are the jobs from Obamacare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know pharmacy schools have been hyping Obamcare, just like MTM and Medicare Part D. So where are the jobs? Have you noticed any difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Obamacare has made a lot of jobs in the form of the residency scam. Just what the government needs: more health care workers with a low salary.

Reactions: 1 users
I know pharmacy schools have been hyping Obamcare, just like MTM and Medicare Part D. So where are the jobs? Have you noticed any difference?

I got a job this week! Thanks obummer.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
trolling....again.....

He gave us HOPE! With that hope, there are ...

Ah shoot, back to reality and the prospects of a crappy future ahead.

Hospitals have had to cut staff as a result of decreased reimbursements under Obamacare plans. Nurses and pharmacists are getting worked to the bone as hospitals are getting paid less, yet have to take an increased patient load.

Last edited:
Customer comes in, that'll be $200 do you have insurance? Why yes I just signed up and got it. After billing insurance, that'll be $200 you have a $5000 deductible. Patient never uses insurance again.

Obama didn't realize its cheaper to simply use $4 drugs and go to funded offices where these people pay nothing for their visit. Now they have insurance and don't qualify.

Obamacare brings more works --> Job opportunities --> $10 paid for $100 job. So... OVERWORK... UNDERPAID!!!

Hospitals have had to cut staff as a result of decreased reimbursements under Obamacare plans. Nurses and pharmacists are getting worked to the bone as hospitals are getting paid less, yet have to take an increased patient load.

Same at my hospital. Getting ready to cut again. oh, and I took a $15,000 pay cut. All directly related to decreased reimbursements which affects us more than the other hospitals in town bc we take all the indigent patients.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1452664348.356153.jpg

Same at my hospital. Getting ready to cut again. oh, and I took a $15,000 pay cut. All directly related to decreased reimbursements which affects us more than the other hospitals in town bc we take all the indigent patients.

Our hospital admins made the decision many years ago to expand ED services, outpatient surgeries, and fold in oncology practices with 340b...we're doing pretty well, that's where we're making money, not any growth in inpatient days or anything.

I'm sorry you have ****ty admins that couldn't foresee these changes...we on boarded a bunch of staff from the local hospital that sounds like where you work.

This is obvious, but any place that's cutting salaries is just a hop/skip/jump away from layoffs and ultimately closure. Best of luck to you.

Obamacare's primary purpose is to help a lot of people couldn't get healthcare get it. While they also promoted it as helping in other ways (to win over a few more people), you can't count on that for sure. For example, it may also reduce costs some, but I'm sure the Health Insurance Cos will figure out some way to circumvent that and squeeze any savings into their pockets. Also, it may or may not provide anymore jobs, but has at least gotten rid of the pre-existing conditions scam. Some people here may be too young or perhaps too old and jaded to care about helping anyone else (even though this strangely enough is supposed to be a forum for Health Care Providers), but overall Obamacare is neither perfect nor the end of the world.

The name of the game is still the same, just a modified playing field. If your company/hospital adapts, then there's still plenty of money to be made. If it doesn't or prefers instead to just whine about how horrible Obamacare is, then good luck winning the game. Same thing with Pharmacy as a profession. It's not going away or dying. It's just changing. You can either deal with it and try to win at the new game, or try to hide from it at as long as you can, or get run over and left behind.

Obamacare has caused a 7% increase in scripts in my store each tear for the last 2 years. It caused my boss to add 8 pharmacist hours a week to my store.....

Obamacare has caused a 7% increase in scripts in my store each tear for the last 2 years. It caused my boss to add 8 pharmacist hours a week to my store.....

In the meantime, CVS got rid of the graveyard pharmacist. You do the math.

Like I had repeatedly said before, the purpose of Obamacare is to cut healthcare cost. It is about doing more with less.

Cost effective companies will survive. This caused companies to merge so they can cut cost (synergy as they called it on Wall Street) and so they can have more buying power. As a result, other companies merged as well.

Look at what is happening with the hospitals. CVS bought Target, Coram, Omnicare. Walgreens bought Rite Aid. Do you really think pharmacists are benefiting from these buyouts?

Your professors 0
Bmbiology 1

More prescriptions for less money. If you really think about it, you could take on a plan that pays out a garbage reimbursement and get so many prescriptions that you have to hire another pharmacist to handle them but you end up breaking even. This is why Old Timer doesn't nor does he plan on owning a business.

In the meantime, CVS got rid of the graveyard pharmacist. You do the math.

In general, we have not net decreased pharmacists. So, you do the math. I'm not saying it's hunkey dorey. Obamacare has increased script count. The problem is that it is low margin work. I'm just on a poor area so it's a net benefit for my store.

In general, we have not net decreased pharmacists. So, you do the math. I'm not saying it's hunkey dorey. Obamacare has increased script count. The problem is that it is low margin work. I'm just on a poor area so it's a net benefit for my store.

I am not sure Mikey (or any of the other displaced pharmacists) would agree with that statement.

More prescriptions for less money. If you really think about it, you could take on a plan that pays out a garbage reimbursement and get so many prescriptions that you have to hire another pharmacist to handle them but you end up breaking even. This is why Old Timer doesn't nor does he plan on owning a business.

You are correct. This is very low margin work. It only works if you have the economy of scale and buying power of 8,000 stores. I would love to own my own place, but I don't see how you can do it unless you have some side gig, ALF,LTC, compounding, etc. I don't see how anyone can make a living just pounding out rxs as an independent pharmacist.